What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Grand Final Sprints

Does anyone remember the Grand Final Sprints that were held on Grand Final day ? They were 100 metre sprint races held between players of all the clubs. I have a 'faint' memory that Rod Mayborn won one year. Can't remember when it started OR when it ended ? Does anyone have any memory of these races ?

Does anyone remember the Grand Final Sprints that were held on Grand Final day ? They were 100 metre sprint races held between players of all the clubs. I have a 'faint' memory that Rod Mayborn won one year. Can't remember when it started OR when it ended ? Does anyone have any memory of these races ?

I do vaguely as a kid but seen footage. Originally at the SCG and at is was an oval shape I recall them racing around a bend akin to the 200m.

I’ve always wanted them to bring it back but half the NRL players are on holiday overseas by then boozed up to the eyeballs, perhaps punching on in Bali. I also think a lot of player managers would be apprehensive if their clients got a whooping.

A race would settle a lot of debates.. and be great entertainment value. Much better than a band only half the crowd have heard of..

Maybe they should do heats at state of origin. 2 x 8 player heats at half time in games 1 and 2, top four qualify for the final in game 3... that’s what I’d like to see.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not a grand final but I do recall Lee Oudenryn vs Martin Offiah prior to the Great Britian v Parra match in 1992.
Oudenryn won but reportedly broke the start.

Btw, Parramatta beat GB that day and I had a $50 bet on with a mate, which I won. He even gave me 3-1 odds. He was pretty distraught, it was a fair swag in those days. Had to buy him a beer afterwards.

That sounds like a good idea - to stage the races during the State of Origin. The sprint races were part of the whole 'game day' experience. I can remember people having bets on the races on the hill. I still don't know why they stopped. I agree, much better entertainment than what they serve up these days. I think it stopped around the time that Super League started. By the way, John Fifita was a great player, although he did have some bad games with his handling. Anyway, if any one else has some memories of the Grand Final Sprints, I'd be interested to hear.

That sounds like a good idea - to stage the races during the State of Origin. The sprint races were part of the whole 'game day' experience. I can remember people having bets on the races on the hill. I still don't know why they stopped. I agree, much better entertainment than what they serve up these days. I think it stopped around the time that Super League started. By the way, John Fifita was a great player, although he did have some bad games with his handling. Anyway, if any one else has some memories of the Grand Final Sprints, I'd be interested to hear.

yep big Johnny’s hands weren’t exactly his strength.. Johnny Fi-fumble..

Zadar

Juniors
Wasn’t there a sprint race every year(Botany Bay sprint or stawell sprint?) that league players would compete in? I remember Shane whereat winning it one year( early nineties) and thinking now Easts are set!

The Rosco

Bench
Wasn’t there a sprint race every year(Botany Bay sprint or stawell sprint?) that league players would compete in? I remember Shane whereat winning it one year( early nineties) and thinking now Easts are set!
Stawell Gift, IIRC

Latest posts