What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The grapple is back!

Guess who......Melbourne....Surprised?
Footy show just showed a thousand examples of the perfect grapple tackle techniques that melbourne are famous for.
This tactic plus Melbournes ability to lie all over the tackled player and get away with it counts for a tough afternoon for any team that faces them.
Stamp it out for gods sake before someone gets snapped

miccle

Bench
IMO the roosters, knights and plenty of other teams are guilty of it, not just the storm. They just seem to be the posterboys of it.

Kaz

junior
You should see the photos that are in the Sunday Mail of the grapple tackles that the Blues did on Wednesday Night.

NPK

Bench
If you can, look at the Sunday Mail today. Trevor Gillmeister wrote a column about how Gould was complaining about the potential of Queensland doing grapple tackles. There were 3 photos in the article showing Blues players doing grapple tackles on Maroons players! Gould is a huge hippocrate.

if Melbourne does the Grapple Tackle and that slows the ball down
(Grapple tackle and a Normal Tackle around the neck is different. grapple Tackle is where you twist and i did not see a Melbourne player twist. If so, you would have to go with the benifit of the doubt)
THEN

why do all the forwards from Newcastle put there hand on the Ball carriers head while the ball carrier is on the ground and has been tackled!!!

Pot calling the kettle black or is it just being sore losers?

Most of the Clubs do the Grapple Tackle and most of the clubs hold the opposition heads in the ground?

If hagan whinges, we can prove that Newcastle does it as well

Im just saying that Melbourne are renowned for it
The highlight package was quite lenghty.
Regardless of who/what does it,League doesnt need a broken neck due to this dangerous practice.
Penalise any team as soon as its suspected.For someone to control your neck and then someone around your hips and legs all pushing in different angles...No wonder you submit!...Personal survival is paramount to you.
Penalise it out of the game...Its quite easy to see-Its the arm under the chin and into the crook of the elbow

Kaz

junior
Holla if ya hear me said:
Im just saying that Melbourne are renowned for it
The highlight package was quite lenghty.
Regardless of who/what does it,League doesnt need a broken neck due to this dangerous practice.
Penalise any team as soon as its suspected.For someone to control your neck and then someone around your hips and legs all pushing in different angles...No wonder you submit!...Personal survival is paramount to you.
Penalise it out of the game...Its quite easy to see-Its the arm under the chin and into the crook of the elbow

Channel 9 should have shown the grapple tackles that the Knights did last night, not just Melbourne.

I tell you Something holla

After the Newcastle game at OP down in melbourne, we play Dragons at Olympic Park!!!.

There was a penalty to the Storm in Which the No 10 (name escapes me) from the Dragons cause and the Ref at the Game blow the Penalty for Wait For it

GRAPPLE TACKLE

Melbourne has been Penalised also a couple of games later for a Grapple Tackle (can't remember which game)

Holla, Melbourne is the Scapegoat not Renowned for it

Earl

Coach
Grapple tackiling is when you have them in a head lock then work them around.

Thats what I heard at the start of the year. And Foxsports had a couple of examples.

Last night from Melbourne was nothing more than headlocks. Something every side does.

Chemicalbrother mentioned the "Twist"
Very few if any of the tackles highlighted showed a twist action
BUT it doesnt need to be a twist for someone to control your head.Its just a variation of the Grapple technique.
Look....Maybe I started the topic off incorrectly after the footy show highlighted the storm.Fair enough-teams do it and im positive Newcastle tackles can be highlighted
Point being...The refs need to stamp it out now before someone is seriously snapped
First and final point should be to leave the head and neck alone in any form of tackle.Nothing gets a player more riled up than'attacking the head of an opponent"
If Hagan wants to sling mud over this then im sure hell go to the tape and check Newcastle players

Holla if ya hear me said:
Chemicalbrother mentioned the "Twist"
Very few if any of the tackles highlighted showed a twist action
BUT it doesnt need to be a twist for someone to control your head.Its just a variation of the Grapple technique.

Sorry Holla, That's a head lock, not a Grapple Tackle. It is Perfectly legal!!!. There is a difference agian holla

Earl said the right definition!!!.

Archer was the ref for the Dragons -storm Game down in melbourne btw.

Earl

Coach
If they are to get rid of a head lock from our game we may as well play Soccer.

Head lock =Grapple tackle variation
And show me in the rule book where it says a head lock is legal?
Its still controlling the head and with other players involved in the tackles it becomes dangerous.
Nothing is wrong with a hammering around the Chest or chopping off an opponents legs.Ive never seen the crowd rise to their feet after a good headlock.
The grapple =Headlock technique is just plain dangerous and is the wrong technique to come into our game.
Outlaw it now and im with BigLance

Its not legal but tolerated-As with other things in the game.
Looks like Foxsports is going to cover this in the show on Monday night
Laurie Daley looks like he is prepared to say its a dicey situation if its coached or not {a variation of the neck twist}

Stop twisting(Sorry for the Pun) the Subject here, holla!!!!

The Headlock has not got any relavance to the Grapple Tackle at all. THEY are different Techiniques. Headlock is a Forearm Motion/movement while a grapple uses your shoulder to move and you whole arm is locked into position

You are clutching at Straws, my friend!!!