What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great Raiders solo efforts

thickos

First Grade
Just thinking the other day what would be classified as the finest individual displays by players wearing the mighty lime green. While great team efforts stick in the mind easily, its hard to often pinpoint super solo efforts.

Obviously our Churchill Medallists played wonderful grand finals, with probably the most dominant of them (IMO) being Stuart in 1990... has their ever been a better kicking display? Clyde in 1991 was a marvel as well, he went all day.

Dave Furner might have bagged the medal in 1994 but that day belonged to one man - Paul Osborne. I'd probably would have given the medal to him - for its importance it sticks in my mind as one of the great solo efforts.

Others for me include:

* Mullins' 4 tries vs the Knights in 1994, with two long range specials

* Meninga's 38 points against Easts in 1990 (although you have to question the quality of the opposition)

* Meninga in the 1987 Preliminary Final, returning from the busted arm

I'm really struggling for really early great games... some recent ones for me however include:

* Ruben Wiki's one man wrecking job on the Warriors in 2002

* Clinton Schifcofske's mercurial performance vs the Dogs, Rd 6 2003

* Michael Weyman's '26 minutes of mayhem' vs the Warriors, 2004

others????

legend

Coach
McLinden v Broncos at ANZ in 2001. No look passes and a 30 point flogging of the then current premiers. T'was a delight to watch.

As a team, the 32-0 drubbing of the Bulldogs was a great moment in Raiders history.

Amen Azz, what a great effort that was.

That one, Mullins 4 tries (just because it was awesome to watch) and Ruben's performance against the Roosters semi as his last game, even though he didn't play all that well but to be out there busting his gut for the team he loves was inspiring.

mike83au

Juniors
Choc's effort against the Warriors last year at Bruce. Trailing 29-28 and booting a couple of field goals to win us the match in extra time was pretty exciting.

For sheer delight - that was up there for me, in an otherwise crap team performance & season.

Edwahu

Bench
Toots when he was basically crippled against the Roosters a couple of years back.
Cant forget Big Mal for smashing Terry Lambs noggin in the 94 GF :lol:
And any game Boogs didnt stink up the joint was a alltime great solo effort by his standards.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the 3 that game to mind immediately:
- Wiki V the Warriors in 2002
- Schifcofske V the dogs in 2003
- Croker V Roosters with a completely busted knee

Others of note:
- Mullins 4 try effort V Knights
- Meninga's 38 point haul V Easts
- Stuart 90 GF

thickos

First Grade
Macca ripping the Broncos to shreds this season at Suncorp sticks in the memory too. What about the double step to get around Hunt? That kid has nothing :clap:

Prodigiousman

Juniors
i can tell you that Clyde's 89 performance statistically was incredible.

I'll dig it up for you all tomorrow night.

it put Craig 'stats boys best friend' Fitzgibbon to shame.

herculean effort!

there's plenty more, Gary Belcher had some special games in the 89 and 90 finals series too.

I'd love to get a hold of some 94-97 Daley footage though... i watched him when he was on telly but it wasn't nearly enough!

GreenGuy

The chip and chase by mullins against the broncos in '94 i think?

That was awesome. Rabs called it as a miracle- pretty close to one.

Kris_man

Bench
Ken Nagas's 6 tries against Halifax in the 1997 World Club Challenge.

Ken Nagas's 100m try against Saints in 1994.

Phil Graham's 100m try vs. Northern Eagles in 2002.

and Mullins chip and chase try was in '95 ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
hrundi99 said:
Raider_Azz said:
Croker V Roosters with a completely busted knee
Was it his knee? I thought it was his arm. I can't remember.

A bad sprain in his ankle and a torn ligament in his knee.

bingo and if memory serves me correctly it was his anterior ligament which is one of the most important ligament in the need for stability. He would have literally been playing with one leg :clap:

Raider Azz

Bench
Ken Nagas's 6 tries against Halifax in the 1997 World Club Challenge.
I remember that. We were pwning that competition until a STUPID loss to the London Broncos away from home (how did we ever lose that match?) and we were knocked out.

Panjabi

Juniors
Correct me if im wrong(im hoping you will) but i believe it was 94, when we played the Sea Eagles and the Noa Nandruku Legend began, he scored 2 tries in a game?? and pulled of 2 try saving tackles, running down Danny Moore on one occasion..
The details are sketchy but the image is vivid..Hoping someone one could clarify the details for me.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
B Clyde 100mins, 34 tackles (3missed) 32 hitups for 239metres gained and 4 offloads. Solid days work.

oh and he picked up a little medal for his efforts too...

Latest posts