What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest tragedy in the history of NZ Rugby League

bb542__921391-sonny-bill-williams-amp-benji-marshall.jpg

The fact that these 2 guys only played 1 and a half games with each other for the Kiwis.

They're the 2 highest profile players we've seen in ALL of Rugby League since the turn of the century and arguably the 2 best players NZ has ever produced, yet we've only seen them play a game and a half with each other in a couple of meaningless one off tests. I would have killed to see them play in a tournament together but selfish clubs, injury and yawnion ruined it for us. The fact that it never happened, and it never will is depressing.

Let's talk about it.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
What were the 1 1/2 games they played together?

I remember they played together in the 2006 ANZAC test when we got absolutely flogged- was that a game where Benji was coming back from injury and only playing half a game off the bench, or was it SBW who only played half a game?

What was the other one- did they both play the 2008 ANZAC test?

vvvrulz

Coach
Sonny Bill played in one of the Four Nations tournaments that was up in the UK, we got hammered in that tournament. Benji must have been there too unless injured.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Sonny Bill played in one of the Four Nations tournaments that was up in the UK, we got hammered in that tournament. Benji must have been there too unless injured.

Nope, SBW only played the 2004 tri-nations (also played the 2004 ANZAC test) which was before Benji ever made the Kiwis.

He managed to miss the 2005, 2006 and 2007 tri/four nations with various injuries.

According to wikipedia he played the 2006, 2007 and 2008 ANZAC tests- I had no recollection of him playing the 2007 one but I guess he must've.

EDIT: Just did my research, SBW started and Benji came off the bench in 2006 and they both started in 2007, Benji missed 2008 with injury. Looking back at the teams we put out for those games it's little wonder having Benji and SBW together didn't necessarily guarantee success.

Last edited:
Yep 06 & 07 Anzac tests.

Benji played half of the 06 test because Tim Sheens told Bluey he could only come off the bench. That irked me. By the time he came on, the game was gone. In Benji's book he mentions that he only played 1 game with SBW (2006) but he's wrong. SBW definitely played in 2007. Benji played halfback in the 07 game.

I remember before the 07 test SBW was talking about how the younger guys had to step up and fill the void left by Wiki, Jones & Vagana retiring at the end of 06. Unfortunately SBW being part of that new era with Benji never came to fruition.

It's crazy to think we've won 3 tournaments without SBW.

335513730a4597591239b913193062l.jpg

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yep 06 & 07 Anzac tests.

Benji played half of the 06 test because Tim Sheens told Bluey he could only come off the bench. That irked me. By the time he came on, the game was gone. In Benji's book he mentions that he only played 1 game with SBW (2006) but he's wrong. SBW definitely played in 2007. Benji played halfback in the 07 game.

I remember before the 07 test SBW was talking about how the younger guys had to step up and fill the void left by Wiki, Jones & Vagana retiring at the end of 06. Unfortunately SBW being part of that new era with Benji never came to fruition.

It's crazy to think we've won 3 tournaments without SBW.

335513730a4597591239b913193062l.jpg

That's really weird about 2007 because I don't remember it and apparently Benji doesn't either. Maybe that was just a point in time where there wasn't as much hype around the 2- Benji coming off an injury-riddled season in 2006 after the hype in 2005, and SBW had a good season in 2006 after an injury-riddled 2005, but it wasn't really until later in 2007 that he fully re-established himself as the superstar he had become in 2004.

My main memory of that game is Inu playing fullback and doing a really good job, off the back of playing 1 first-grade game and not really being a fullback. That kind of randomness sort of sums up his career since.

Anyway, how you been big homie JJM? What are you up to these years? Married with kids, mansion?

Micistm

Bench
It is sad internationals are not rated and compete often enough, and we seldom have a full strength team with a reasonable prep time. On paper for the last few years we have looked an awesome line up, and I'd love to see an annual 3 test series. But Origin will always take the spot for Aussies as the pinnacle.
We've had our debates about SBW and the past few years, but there's no denying he's a hellova player and it is a shame we did not have him in the Kiwis through the years. It is sad his skills are overshadowed by this polarising past series of events. And although Benji's recent form has been average, it's sad to see him go too. But I hope he does well in his new venture, I'd enjoy seeing him achieve what he wants to despite wishing he'd stuck with League and maybe just tried another Club. But respect to him.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The greatest tragedy on the last 10 years or so was that GP lost in 2006. We win that and we have 4 out of 7 of the last tournaments. Bit more competitive than SOO in that time period huh ;-)

MKEB...

Staff member
IMO a greater tragedy is that the Paul brothers seldom played together for the Kiwis and never played for the Warriors.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Would have rated Sonny Fai as the greatest tragedy rather than seeing two media-hyped up(while being naturally talented) players playing together.

Off the record, I don't know if Fai would have been eligible for the Kiwis, but it affect the NZ Rugby League scene.

Blair

Coach
Would have rated Sonny Fai as the greatest tragedy rather than seeing two media-hyped up(while being naturally talented) players playing together.

Another tragedy is how players can be abandoned by Rugby League after their 'use by date' is up professionally.

Those two 'media-hyped' players will be as good as gold post retirement, but what happens to the rest of them? There would be some sad cases around.

hitman82

Bench
Another tragedy is how players can be abandoned by Rugby League after their 'use by date' is up professionally.

Those two 'media-hyped' players will be as good as gold post retirement, but what happens to the rest of them? There would be some sad cases around.

Given how well they are paid while in the NRL, and the massive sponsorship, media and coaching opportunities available to those who are good enough... I don't feel particularly sorry for any of these guys.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
:lol: even the guys on minimum NRL salary earn well above the average NZ salary. They get special courses designed for them by Unis based around playing commitments, and as you can see if you look at League today if you have half a brain on you at all you can walk into a cushy job involved in Rugby League after you retire. And even if you are mid to late 20's and below NRL standard you can go make a hell of a living in the ESL or Jap/Euro Union. Any league player who retires at 30-35 struggling financially is obviously an idiot and if it wasn't for Rugby League in the first place they would probably be in an even much worse way.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
This reminds me of Latrell Sprewell from the NBA claiming a 21 million dollar contract being not good enough because he had to 'feed his family'.

He lost all his money eventually.

Anyway, how you been big homie JJM? What are you up to these years? Married with kids, mansion?

I'm good bro. Been married for 4 years now. No kids yet, working on getting that mansion.

How you been? I saw your post in that ol FFB collector cards thread the other day. Those were the days lol

Fast Eddie said:
The greatest tragedy on the last 10 years or so was that GP lost in 2006. We win that and we have 4 out of 7 of the last tournaments. Bit more competitive than SOO in that time period huh ;-)

We woulda won with SBW & Benji! We're still more competitive than NSW even without that win. In 2009 we had that draw and we scored more tries.

MKEB said:
IMO a greater tragedy is that the Paul brothers seldom played together for the Kiwis and never played for the Warriors

They played multiple tournaments together (99-00) and various anzac tests. That's better than 1.5 games.

Shaun Hewitt said:

Off the record, I don't know if Fai would have been eligible for the Kiwis, but it affect the NZ Rugby League scene.

Fair enough comment.

Abdullah said:
Probably more tragedy for NZRL to come when a certain player announces his World Cup allegiance.

Where are you from?

Blair

Coach
This reminds me of Latrell Sprewell from the NBA claiming a 21 million dollar contract being not good enough because he had to 'feed his family'.

He lost all his money eventually.

Yep, silly bastard he is.

However, the title of the thread is 'The Greatest tragedy in the history of NZ Rugby League'. That means it goes back over 100 years, before players had these well renumerated deals and aggressive player agents.

There's some sad stories out there.

I was in the supermarket yesterday coppin some groceries. I look over to the magazine stand to have a nosey at the cover of the new RLW.....nestled beside it was the NZ Yawnion mag with this cover:

e7150da58fd10ffee4893d2970e11c55.jpg

F*ck I hate yawnion. Thieves.

Latest posts