What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The greatest try...........

Lowey3

Juniors
In super league¬!!

http://shs.rlfans.com/saints.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=3

What a night!! i had actually just left the stadium with my grandad, both of us miserable because we thourght we had got beat. After reaching the end of the road we heard the loudest cheer you will ever hear but funnily we thourght it was the Bradford fans celebrating the final whistle!.

I was in for a shock when i got home lol.

If any aussie have'nt seen this then it's a must!!

Just click on the link. - the last play the ball of the match.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Could never tire of seeing that one.

I can still remember it as if it were yesterday. Seeing Matthew Elliot fall off his chair in shock was a classic moment.

I was stood behind a couple of Bradford fans at that point as I was on my way out. They were gloating about their victory and how they were going to be unbeatable in the final, then as Dwayne West galloped down the left, all I heard was a movie-style slow motion cry of "Nnnnnnnnooooooooo!!!" from a Bradford fan.

Quite a terrace bounce too, it felt as though the stand I was in was litterally bouncing.

The timing of the try was what made it, as the clock expired just as Sculthorpe played the ball. It was particularly shocking as the game had been a completely dour defensive battle without so much as a half break all game.

jed

First Grade
They ran that again on Sky just before one of the finals this year (think it was the Saints/Bulls Elimination final). Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was gutwrenching to see again.

Lowey3

Juniors
It was a qualifier in 2000.

St Helens vs Bradford.

We then went on to win the Grand final.

bartman

Immortal
Saw the Joynt try on that 100 Greatest Tries DVD, an awesome team effort.

And Warrington looked all over Wakey in that second link.

Wiljoy00

Juniors
I have followed Rugby League since 1945,and have seen hundreds & hundreds of games,the greatest try I have EVER seen,was when Eric Batten,of Bradford Northern,ran 40 yards with the ball,towards Tommy Cornelious,the Leeds full back,and,as Tommy went down to tackle,Eric jumped over the top of him,then went on to touch down, I have relived this moment a million times since it happened.
Incidentally,jumping was ruled out not long afterwards because the authorities said it was "too dangerous".

screeny

Bench
Wiljoy00 said:
I have followed Rugby League since 1945,and have seen hundreds & hundreds of games,the greatest try I have EVER seen,was when Eric Batten,of Bradford Northern,ran 40 yards with the ball,towards Tommy Cornelious,the Leeds full back,and,as Tommy went down to tackle,Eric jumped over the top of him,then went on to touch down, I have relived this moment a million times since it happened.
Incidentally,jumping was ruled out not long afterwards because the authorities said it was "too dangerous".

I've heard of that. Eric Batten was a big chap too, wasn't he? Or was that his father, Billy, when he used to play centre for Hull, I think?

Bullseye

Juniors
Wiljoy00 said:

Is this a pic of that incident? It's Batten hurdling a defender who happens to be playing for Leeds.
878438small_batten.jpg

Wiljoy00

Juniors
screeny said:
I've heard of that. Eric Batten was a big chap too, wasn't he? Or was that his father, Billy, when he used to play centre for Hull, I think?

Eric was a well built guy,but he was lightning fast,he played on the right wing for Bradford,and he scored a lot of tries for them by jumping players,but the one against Leeds was easily the most spectacular, I didn't see Billy Batten, he played even before my time!!! I understand Billy was a jumper too.

Bullseye

Juniors
Both used to hurdle opposition defenders. Both played in ashes winning GB teams.

Eric played in the only GB team to go undefeated through Australia. This nearly didn't happen as he was almost eaten by sharks in the sea of Aden on the journey to Australia.

brendothejet

First Grade
That try on the video is f**king priceless. a hodgepodge of throwing and kicking then all of a sudden Joynt is stealing the mascots head!!!

HAHA! Gold!

Latest posts