What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The history of the CRL so far....

Misty Bee

First Grade
Just to bring you up to date with what you have all been missing.....

The 2 team CRL I comp kicked off on Friday, 31st January 2003, with the Gold Coast defeating Cronulla 14-4. Adelaide's upset of comp favorites Brisbane set the tone for a series of upsets that saw the Rams, favorites for the spoon, charge into Semi Final contention. The Ram's gun half combination of Brett Kimmorley and Paul Sculthorpe ignited the side throughout the year, beginning with their 34-10 defeat of Gold Coast in round 3. The Chargers were a tight defensive unit, with fullback Clinton Schifcofske winning many tight games from his trusty boot.

Sydney, however, were minor premiers, getting the first week of under the final five setup. In Week 1, Norths beat Parramatta 36-26, while a last minute field goal by Rams hooker Keiron Cunningham sank Gold Coast's season. The Ram's backed up with another one pointer against Parra (this time to Sculthorpe), while Norths flogged Sydney 32-8 to make the GF. In the final, a last minute Jamie Ainscough try put the Rams in the big one, defeating Sydney 22-18.

The grand final was just as close, despite an all in brawl which saw the sin binning of Norths Steve Kearney and the Rams Scott Sattler. Behind 22-14 late in the game, a David Fairleigh hit on Kimmorley that jolted the ball loose resulted in a converted try to Steve Trindall. A last minute penalty saw Norths level at fulltime, only to win through a runaway Michael Buettner try, 28-22. Norths claimed CRL 1, with woeful efforts from Manly and Brisbane seeing them take spoon honours. For the record, Norths coach [/b]Penny was the CRL I winner.

The 16 team CRL II kicked off on 22nd June 03, with St George and Brisbane grinding out an 8-8 draw. The addition of Illawarra, Souths, Penrith and Leeds saw the comp swell in it's second season. Wests changed their name to Balmain, and began an improvement in fortunes. Manly, favorites for the spoon, also picked their act up, and by round 5 had defeated premiers Norths 36-22, with 5/8 Scott Hill bagging a double.

Matt Sing scored a record 5 tries for the Central Coast in their 50-34 round 19 flogging of Leeds, a still unbeaten effort. Yet it was the Gold Coast's Davis Peachey that topped the season's try scoring list. Dissapointing Canberra managed to supply the player of the year, Steve Menzies. Also topping the half century was Sydney, with a 50-0 drubbing of Illawarra, whith their prop Michael Vella bagging a double.

The Macintyre system was adopted, with the Gold Coast as minor premiers. Sydney disposed of Central Coast 22-4 in week 1. Souths won their first semi (16-14 v Gold Coast) before going down to Balmain 18-8 in the following weekend. Sydney booked it's grand final berth over Balmain 22-14, thanks to a second half try to Todd Payton.

Leeds earned the second week off by beating Norths 36-22, and Balmain lost to Manly 28-20. The Sea Eagles then won a tight on against the Gold Coast, thanks to a late Scott Hilltry, and backed up the following weeks with another tight one, this time surviving a late Leeds comeback to win 22-20.

The Grand Final, played on 11th November 2003, was another close call, with Manly's Hill and John Hopoate, and Sydney's Eric Grothe all bagging doubles. Grothe's last try, from a Brad Fittler grubber on fulltime, drew the Roosters level, with Craig Fitzgibbon's side line conversion giving the premiership to the tricolours. Manly's gallant coach
Swoop took them from last to almost first, and took out CRL II.

CRL III was virtually a two horse race between 2 new clubs, Melbourne and Country. on 27th January 2004, The Storm kicked off with an impressive 28-24 win over last season's premiers Sydney. Five Eight Matt Geyer picked up 16 points with 2 tries and 4 goal. Adelaide's demise had allowed Country to partner Brett Kimmorleyand Jonathon Thurston at the scrumbase, with the gun left hand trio of Nathan Blacklock, Joe Vagana and Joe Gulavau almost unstoppable. The hiccup for Country came in round 7 when Bulldogs recruit Scott Hill inspired them to a 22-14 win.

A QUAD SERIES origin-based rep program was introduced. Game 1 saw Queensland flog Great Britain 40-14, with prop Shane Webcke bagging a double. In game 2, NSW's Jamie Lyon's late try helped secure a 26-24 win over New Zealand. However, Great Britain scored an impressive 28-24 win over the Blues, on the back of big games by Keiron Cunningham and Adrian Morley. New Zealand's 18-18 draw with Queensland saw Rueben Wiki get his second Man of the Match in the series. In the final round, Wiki scored 2 tries as the Kiwis humbled the Lions 34-10. A 66th minute try to Rhys Wesser helped Queensland draw level with NSW, before an 80th minute try to Trent Barrett snared NSW a 24-20 win, with Andrew Johns scoring a try and 6 goals.

In the final, a late try to Hasem El Masri brought NSW level with New Zealand, 24-24. In golden time, field goal attempts by Stacey Jonesand Andrew Johns missed, as did a final second attempty by John Hopoate. The match ended as a draw, with New Zealand declared series winners on a countback. Ali Lauiti'iti was declared "man of the match".

Country and Melbourne's roll toward the grand final was interrupted by Brisbane in week 1. The Broncos beat the Minor Premiers (Country) 24-8 with big forwards Gordon Tallis (2) and Chris Beattie scoring tries for the Broncos. Meanwhile Melbourne blew a 44th minute lead by 32-14 over Sydney to win by only 2 points (32-30). Balmain's Iestyn Harris and Troy Wozniak inspired the Tigers 28-20 over Manly, while Parramatta defeated Central Coast 28-22. With the Storm and the Eels earning the break, Country pipped Balmain 18-16, thank to 5 Brett Kimmorley goals. 2 tries to Chad Randallhelped Manly knock out Brisbane 28-26. However, they couldn't make back to back grand finals, going down to Melbourne 28-16 in the preliminary final, thanks to 3 tries by Storm winger Adam MacDougall. And in a stunning upset, hot premiership favorites Country were defeated by Parramatta, and a 73rd minute penalty by Michael Witt. The fulltime score was 14-12.

Another tight grand final followed. Parramatta raced to a 12-0 lead through a chip and chase try by Daniel Wagon, and a try by Jamie Lyon. However, 2 tries to Richard Swain had the Storm back to 12-10 at halftime. A 54th min penalty try to Adam Macdougall gave Melbourne an 18-14 lead, which is sealed with a "no try" for a Daniel Wagon touchdown on fulltime. Melbourne win 22-18, and coach Undertaker Mike takes out CRL III.

Parramatta and Manly share favoritism for CRL IV, but Brisbane, Balmain and St George soo throw down challenges. St George set a CRL record with a massive 74-0 flogging of Canberra in round 10. 4 players race away with the top tryscoring, with Saints Ben Hornby beating Brisbane's Karmichael Hunt, Balmain's Robbie O'Davis North Queensland's hooker Keiron Cunningham. Each of Manly's front row of Chad Randall, Kylie Leuluai and Chris King each score more than 10 tries. And Hornby just pips Nathan Hindmarsh from Parranmatta for the player of the year. Brisbane's Michael De Vere is top pointscorer.

St George take out the minor premiership, their only defeat in the last 7 games being to their hoodoo club Cronulla in round 8. A field goal by Shane Webcke helps Brisbane to an 11-10 win over Penrith in round 9, while a late surge of form by Andrew Johns helps Newcastle make a late bid for the finals.

Newcastle caused the upset in week one, defeating Balmain 36-28. Captain Andrew Johns tied with Tigers lock Travis Norton for Man of the match honours. Manly were heroic, coming from a 26-16 defecit with 15 minutes remaining, to snap a last minute 27-26 win over Parramatta. The following weeks semi between Balmain and Manly produced a CRL first - a drawn semi final. Manly's Brian Carney scored 3 tries in their 38-38 draw. The replay was just as close, Balmain being victorious 26-22. Their next opponent was Brisbane, 20-12 victors over Country in week 1, and fresh friom a week off. However thye Tigers won 18-12, and made their first CRL grand final. Saints disposed of Sydbney 26-22 in week one, and watched Newcastle provide a major upset in week 2. Parramatta again squandered a half time lead, going down 18-14, with Knights fullback Wade McKinnon scoring 3 tries. Their run of upsets ended at the hands of the minor premiers, 28-16.

The CRL IV Grand Final was a torrid affair, with rival props Jason Ryles (Saints) and John Skandalis and Ben Kennedy (Balmain) featuring in early physical exchanges. A Skandalis try after a Dean Widders intercept on halftime puts the Tigers in front 16-10. IN the second half, Jason Ryles knocks Skandalis out, and is sent off in the 44th minute. This sparks Saints out of their apathy. Trent Barrett puts Ben Hornby over, and 5minutes later, scoreds one himself. Saints take the lead 22-18. Balmain hit back in desperate fashion, as winger Pat Richards puts Robbie O'Davis over. The conversion by Tigers back rower Andy Farrell gives them the lead, and the premiership. Balmain lift the CRL CUP, but the winner of CRL IV was Dragons coach Dragoon Boy, who had the title wrapped up weeks in advance.

So hows it all goin to pan out for CRL V??????

Ando67

Juniors
ROOSTERS CLAP CLAP CLAP

ROOSTERS CLAP CLAP CLAP

ROOSTERS CLAP CLAP CLAP

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caged Panther

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Parramatta and Manly share favoritism for CRL IV, but Brisbane, Balmain and St George soo throw down challenges. St George set a CRL record with a massive 74-0 flogging of Penrith in round 10.

V

When did penrith get flogged by 74 points? I was the coach of penrith and I don't remember that. :shock: I do remember a flogging just didn't think it was quite that much. And i was still only one win away from making the eight.

Hey How do I trans fer My Trophy to this site???? :lol: :lol:

I'll neve get to 1,000 (at Ozzy Pub ) , posts this year now :roll: :lol: :roll: ;-) #-o

Misty Bee

First Grade
UM, Cronulla beat Saints. I thnik the big score was v Canberra from memory.

CP, sorry 'bout that. I remember someone put 50 on you (was it Brisbane?), and then you bounced back and beat (I think) Melbourne the following week.

bartman

Immortal
Don't know, but as far as the last few comps go coaches/teams to look out for could be:

Saints/Grego - the winning coach
Balmain/MJ - won the grand final game
Brisbane/Bronco Boy - always high up on the coach ladder
Manly/Swoop - likewise...
Penrith/Caged Panther - finished debut season on a roll
Storm/Undertaker Mike - winning coach of the season before
Parra/Bartman - runner up to Undertaker Mike season before

Apart from Dogs of War (who pre-dates me), everyone else is on debut? Don't forget you can use your one "Fire 'em up" token in any game that you think will be hard for whatever reason...

Dogs Of War

Coach
bartman said:
Don't know, but as far as the last few comps go coaches/teams to look out for could be:

Saints/Grego - the winning coach
Balmain/MJ - won the grand final game
Brisbane/Bronco Boy - always high up on the coach ladder
Manly/Swoop - likewise...
Penrith/Caged Panther - finished debut season on a roll
Storm/Undertaker Mike - winning coach of the season before
Parra/Bartman - runner up to Undertaker Mike season before

Apart from Dogs of War (who pre-dates me), everyone else is on debut? Don't forget you can use your one "Fire 'em up" token in any game that you think will be hard for whatever reason...

I went shit. I'm hoping that I can reverse that this time around with different tactics.

Misty Bee said:
I thnik the big score was v Canberra from memory.

CP, sorry 'bout that. I remember someone put 50 on you (was it Brisbane?), and then you bounced back and beat (I think) Melbourne the following week.

Yea St George Beat Canberra:
ST GEORGE 72 (Bailey 3, Roberts, Hornby, Barrett, Swann, Gasnier, Simmonds, Withers, Firman, Ryles tries, Ridell 12 goals) def Canberra 0

But that was the last round, 15.

Despite being well in contention for the final 8 with three rounds to go (considering a 1 point win over fith placed Parra) I lost the next 3 despite having 1 fire 'em token (for the Rooters of course). ;-) :lol:

grego

Juniors
as the saints coach i would like to stop all this hype about my side it gives a badf vibe to all the new coaches ,cause i could end up been the new team to cop all the firem up tokens #-o #-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so come on UM and BART lets play it down alittle please :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mj

Juniors
Caged Panther said:
I don't think I copped a fire em up token on last year. I gave the roosters one though :lol: :lol:

Everybody gave the Roosters a fire'em up!! :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'd just like to confirm that Grego is a ripper of a CRL coach, and it is virtually impossible by normal means to beat him. (2 FEU's per opponent, 15 opponents, = at least one per week for the Dragons LOL!)

Latest posts