What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Hobbit

soc123_au

Staff member
I went and saw it today. I agree with the other comments regarding just enjoying it as a movie without the book comparisons. After being disappointed with the first installment I watched this with a different mindset. Loved the Smaug scenes, but would have liked to see a bit more of Bearon & the spiders in Mirkwood follow the book a bit closer. Overall I enjoyed it. The third one is shaping up to be a belter.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Watched it in 3D at V-Max...... How f**king cool did Smaug look.

Only dragon I can recall being genuinely intimidating.

Aragorn

First Grade
is it just me or did anyone else think the dragon & the spiders looked too cliché?

& would like to see Jackson mix it up a bit - perhaps use slow motion frames similar to what was used in the Matrix or tried a new angles never seen before in the previous versions during the fight scenes.

#OrcKillOverdose

adamkungl

Immortal
I wish people wouldn't get so caught up on the books. By present day standards, Tolkien is a f**king dire fantasy writer. If Lord of the Rings were published today, it wouldn't make a mark at all.

It basically created this genre, but as far as fantasy goes, it's a lame duck. Poorly written, horribly one dimensional characters, and a plot full of holes and cliche.

Such a stupid point, I wouldn't even give it the credit of being a point.

There are countless genre defining movies/novels/albums/games that wouldn't be particularly notable if released today. Everything that has taken influence from LOTR has expanded and advanced the genre.

That said, there are countless people who read LOTR for the first time today and still love it. Personally I couldn't give a shit about Tolkien's writing style - he tells a pretty fine story in a deep and imaginative world.

parraparraparra

Juniors
is it just me or did anyone else think the dragon & the spiders looked too cliché?

& would like to see Jackson mix it up a bit - perhaps use slow motion frames similar to what was used in the Matrix or tried a new angles never seen before in the previous versions during the fight scenes.

#OrcKillOverdose

Cliche? Tolkien is what everyone rips off, its the source. The last thing jackson needs is more gimmicky film techniques.

I thought the dragon was just a rip off of draco from dragon heart. :sarcasm:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Such a stupid point, I wouldn't even give it the credit of being a point.

There are countless genre defining movies/novels/albums/games that wouldn't be particularly notable if released today. Everything that has taken influence from LOTR has expanded and advanced the genre.

That said, there are countless people who read LOTR for the first time today and still love it. Personally I couldn't give a shit about Tolkien's writing style - he tells a pretty fine story in a deep and imaginative world.

And that's your opinion. I've read LOTR twice and don't find it to be a particularly good story or a book with remotely compelling characters. You're right in that countless people do pick it up and enjoy it, but there are also plenty of people who see it for what it is: genre-defining, but far from perfect.

Tolkien was a linguist first and a storyteller second. There's nothing wrong with that and it's not saying Lord of the Rings is a drizzling pile of shit. It's just far from the be all and end all. Take away criticisms of the plot - since you point out correctly that most modern family is derivative of it - and you're still left with the fact it's just not a particularly well written story. It's full of flowery prose and fancy languages, but the plot holes and attention to description of terrain over descriptions of action or character motivation remain.