What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Johns factor... tests

The Johns factor - Yes or no - Should Johns be selected if he becomes available after the GF for Au

• Yes of course! Who else!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the form half of the time should get the spot. It would be unfair!

• No bloody way, he's not that good anyway!

• I don't care about Andrew Johns, he can go and play thugby yawnion for all I care.

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Here's a tentative one, I'm guessing Noughts fans will vote yes but what do you all think. Should the incumbent win out or should the in form half of the 2004 season grab the honour, if the situation arises where Johns becomes available for EOS tests for Australia, ahving not played any season/final/GF games since R6 or 7 or whenever it was ?

(This is quite clearly hypothetical but it's intriguing to see what may happen)

Timmah

Staff member
I'm of the opinion that you should perform at a consistent level at the time of selection/last possible game(s) (i.e. Round 26, Finals) before selection time to earn a spot in a REPRESENTATIVE side. Therefore he should not be picked unless he's displayed his good form late in the season. Why should a player who's been performing and could do the same job? Putting him in the #7 with no match play in the month prior shows pure favouritism if nothing else.

JJ

Immortal
dodge said:
I'm of the opinion that you should perform at a consistent level at the time of selection/last possible game(s) (i.e. Round 26, Finals) before selection time to earn a spot in a REPRESENTATIVE side. Therefore he should not be picked unless he's displayed his good form late in the season. Why should a player who's been performing and could do the same job? Putting him in the #7 with no match play in the month prior shows pure favouritism if nothing else.

Yup - but it's what the selectors do - if not, why weren't Orford and Hill picked in SOO III (esp Orford?).

Johns is the best half, so if he's available he's picked... He'll play well, we all know that. He'd just have to pass a fitness test IMO

Timmah

Staff member
As much as I detest it, Fittler and Barrett have been in scintillating form of late (minus Fittlers performance in BUL/SYD game a couple of weeks back). You can ask a bunch of why nots but the only true shock in Origin was Kennedy replacing Ryan & Waterhouse. Disgraceful selection.

JJ

Immortal
dodge said:
As much as I detest it, Fittler and Barrett have been in scintillating form of late (minus Fittlers performance in BUL/SYD game a couple of weeks back). You can ask a bunch of why nots but the only true shock in Origin was Kennedy replacing Ryan & Waterhouse. Disgraceful selection.

Yeah, but Barrett hadn't played a lot, and hadn't played at half at all...

Ryles and Kennedy also had little football.

I do think Orford was unlucky, but Barrett, Ryles and Kennedy all did enough to justify their selections I thought.

Personally, I don't think Johns should be picked if he doesn't play - but if he's fit I think he will be picked irrespective of how much he's played...

~bedsy~

First Grade
dodge said:
Here's a tentative one, I'm guessing Noughts fans will vote yes
Well I voted No... it should be on the form half... which is hopefully Gower.

Raider_69

Post Whore
1. he isnt the best player
2. his form wasnt up to the level of orford and co
3. he would have no match fitness
4. he is a f**king wanker
5. he is over-rated
6. id prefer finch get the nod ahead of barge arse ( :shock: i know, big call for me)

thuganomics

Coach
Raider_69 said:
4. he is a f***ing wanker
5. he is over-rated
6. id prefer finch get the nod ahead of barge arse ( :shock: i know, big call for me)

1. False
2. False
3. True
4. False
5. VERY false
6. How Dare YOU!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
thuganomics said:
Raider_69 said:
5. he is over-rated

1. False
2. False
3. True
4. False
5. VERY false
6. How Dare YOU!!

1. he isnt, darren lockyer is and has been for some time
2. orford, head and Finch form shate all over johns before injury
3. undesputed
4. Ive met him a few times, herd storys from mates about him at pubs etc and yes he is a complete wanker
5. IMO he is very over-rated, he is good but he not at Langer, Stuart, Sterling, Mortimer etc level, nor will he ever be
6. I know, i feel so dirty :lol:

Timmah

Staff member
thuganomics said:
Raider_69 said:
5. he is over-rated

1. False
2. False
3. True
4. False
5. VERY false
6. How Dare YOU!!

How are you in a position to say "I Dare You"?

He's ais a wanker, and alot of the time so flukey shit he does is overrated. Sorry if we interrupted your little fan-club but right now the results speak for themselves

The Colonel

Immortal
Would Newcastle be happy if he was picked?

Coming back from a season ending injury with little or no match fitness I'd suggest Hagan and company would be advising him very much against it and personally I think he himself would steer away from it as well. Its a big risk after any injury, let alone a knee injury and with the money the Knights have riding on him they'd freak if he went down again.

thuganomics

Coach
Raider_69 said:
thuganomics said:
Raider_69 said:
5. he is over-rated

1. False
2. False
3. True
4. False
5. VERY false
6. How Dare YOU!!

1. he isnt, darren lockyer is and has been for some time
2. orford, head and Finch form shate all over johns before injury
3. undesputed
4. Ive met him a few times, herd storys from mates about him at pubs etc and yes he is a complete wanker
5. IMO he is very over-rated, he is good but he not at Langer, Stuart, Sterling, Mortimer etc level, nor will he ever be
6. I know, i feel so dirty :lol:

Well i believe he is better then Lockeyer
What did Head do before Round 3 to make him shate over Johns.
Well yer prob is a waker then
Not Overrated I think he is the best player to ever play after Lewis
YOU SHOULD FEEL DIRTY!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jaime_Koeppe_Is_Hot said:
Oh and i suppose Todd Carney is better the Andrew Johns :lol: :lol:

nope, not yet, give him a few years and who knows
johns didnt make a splash untill about age 23-24
carney is 17 ;-)

thuganomics

Coach
Raider_69 said:
Jaime_Koeppe_Is_Hot said:
Oh and i suppose Todd Carney is better the Andrew Johns :lol: :lol:

nope, not yet, give him a few years and who knows
johns didnt make a splash untill about age 23-24
carney is 17 ;-)

I have seen Carney and even Met up with the guy, this guy is one of the next Big things. He is the next great Halfback, although will never be better then Andrew Johns :D

Latest posts