What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Laws/Price/Singleton/Carr/2GB/2UE/Jones Show(Important!)

Moffo

Referee
This is an issue that spans several dimensions, but is of importance to all league fans. I thought id put in the NRL section and the politics section, as im sure it appeals to people in different ways...

This has all happened today, i tuned into 2ue just after 5 after being told that a big incident was going down in regards to the pokie tax. I'll try and put it all in here without confusion, although let me say at the outset, a lot has happened. Perhaps a timeline would be best!

- Bob Carr (during a press conference), claims that he was in effect being blackmailed by John Singleton to stop the pokie tax going ahead. Carr claimed that Singleton was acting on BEHALF of the NRL. Carr claimed that Singo said that the NRL would run a 5million dollar campaign against the Carr Gov't if the tax wasn't dropped immediately. Apparently this all happened during a phone call this morning. Carr said he wouldn't back down

- Steve Price, on radio 2ue this afternoon, allowed Singo the right of reply (which is amazing in itself, as Singo is the head of 2GB, the main competitor of 2ue in sydney). Singo denied the claims, said that he had no plans to demonize the premier (Carr) and simply was reminding Carr of how many people who he would put offside if the tax was implemented. He was referring to league fans who would lose their clubs if the tax was to go ahead

- John Laws rings up, gives Price an absolute gobful and calls him piss-weak (direct quote). These two guys are on the same radio station mind you. Laws claims that Price was trying to turn the blame onto Carr when in effect it was Singleton who should be attacked for trying to blackmail Carr. Price takes it for a while and then says goodbye to him (quite funny IMO). All the support since has been for Price, public opinion so far has been that Laws was being a goose

- Price was trying to turn it against Carr (allegedly), because during the first conversation that Price had with Singo, Singo revealed some 'confidental details'. This was in reply to Carr leaking their private conversation earlier in the day. Singo went on to say that Carr threatened to ENSURE that 2GB never got their license renewed again if their radio broadcaster (Alan Jones) did not lay off him. So in effect, Carr was (i must stress that this is all alleged so far) in effect, blackmailing Singo!

What an amazing few hours! I think its important that Carr continues to know how us league fans feel about this proposed tax. We need everyone to continue sticking it up them

Cheers,
Moffo

Once Dead

Bench
I found it pretty un-professional the way John Laws went about it......that's just my opinion.....i wonder if i could go on his show and say "piss-weak" without being cut off......

Moffo

Referee
Just saw that Carr said that at press conference during a promotion for the 'Rugby Live' sites that will be in Sydney during the WC

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Moffo

Moffo

Referee
The Singo Party hey El? :lol:

If they got all the league fans in Sydney on board, he may well be a chance of knocking off Carr

Cheers,
Moffo

Moffo

Referee
all these fat pollies trying to jump on the rugby bandwagon...makes me sick. Just then on the news they showed the pollies outside gov't house trying to play the game :oops:

RL fans and people who support the stance of the clubs, surely that would knock off Carr

Vote 1, Vote Singo

Cheers,
Moffo

Alan Shore

First Grade
SINGO! SINGO! SINGO! SINGO! SINGO!

We should go to the footsteps of Parliament House and chant. Down with that scumbag Carr!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Tamazoid said:
SINGO! SINGO! SINGO! SINGO! SINGO!

We should go to the footsteps of Parliament House and chant. Down with that scumbag Carr!

Here Here :D :D

I say John Brogden should play on this & give it to Carr........atleast Brogden is RL at heart where as Carr's knowledge of RL is a p!@## weak attempt at getting votes!!

King Tigerman

Juniors
whoever voted for him should be shot

unlike with what happened tpo whitlam the governor cant sack him because the governors role now is nothing

Alan Shore

First Grade
King Tigerman said:
whoever voted for him should be shot

unlike with what happened tpo whitlam the governor cant sack him because the governors role now is nothing

Actually, the Governor still holds that power I believe.

I've been out of Sydney too long. Who's NSW Governor? Petition him/her!

syphon

Juniors
the harsh fact of the matter is, Carr will romp it in the next election. Far more people are concerned about lowering the incidence of addictive gambling, and directing revenue towards hospitals and schooling, as opposed to sustaining elite NRL players wages.

Moffo

Referee
syphon said:
the harsh fact of the matter is, Carr will romp it in the next election. Far more people are concerned about lowering the incidence of addictive gambling, and directing revenue towards hospitals and schooling, as opposed to sustaining elite NRL players wages.

You think increasing the tax will decrease the number of pokie players? Get a grip, or better still, loosen it a little :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

Alan Shore

First Grade
Moffo said:
syphon said:

You think increasing the tax will decrease the number of pokie players? Get a grip, or better still, loosen it a little :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

Exactly Moffo. In actual fact, it'll increase the amount of problem gamblers.

1. Tax goes ^, profits go down.
2. To make up for shortfall, clubs need more $$$
3. Result: More promotion of pokies as clubs get desparate.

Problem Gambling not solved.

TYPICAL LEFTIST INCOMPETENCE!

syphon

Juniors
Moffo said:
syphon said:

Cheers,
Moffo
i think you have little clue how economics works, coupled with little idea of the issues that drive this debate.

the tax is aimed at turnover, not profits, and thus will result in a tax greater than profits derived from the machines. this is an incentive for clubs to make revenue via other streams (an active disincentive for having poker machines). a lot of poker machines will be removed due to the tax (high cost of maintaing them). some will remain, because there are various spin offs associated with having the option of playing pokies, and will bring people through the doors to make use of other facilities the club offers. The net result of this tax is expected to be revenue neutral.

now go read up what this tax entails before you start shooting off the rather simplistic view you have formed.

syphon

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Moffo said:
syphon said:

Cheers,
Moffo

Exactly Moffo. In actual fact, it'll increase the amount of problem gamblers.

1. Tax goes ^, profits go down.
2. To make up for shortfall, clubs need more $$$
3. Result: More promotion of pokies as clubs get desparate.

Problem Gambling not solved.

TYPICAL LEFTIST INCOMPETENCE!

add another tally to the stereotypical clueless league fan :roll:.

pokies will make a loss for clubs.... hmmm... lets spend $$$ promoting the crap out of them so we can get more people using them so we can lose more money....

Moffo

Referee
syphon said:
Moffo said:
syphon said:

Cheers,
Moffo
i think you have little clue how economics works, coupled with little idea of the issues that drive this debate.

the tax is aimed at turnover, not profits, and thus will result in a tax greater than profits derived from the machines. this is an incentive for clubs to make revenue via other streams (an active disincentive for having poker machines). a lot of poker machines will be removed due to the tax (high cost of maintaing them). some will remain, because there are various spin offs associated with having the option of playing pokies, and will bring people through the doors to make use of other facilities the club offers. The net result of this tax is expected to be revenue neutral.

now go read up what this tax entails before you start shooting off the rather simplistic view you have formed.

Actually Syphon, your talking to someone that is just about to complete a business degree. So for starters, you can stick your elitist approach up your arse

High cost of maintaining them? lol, your a royal goose. Even at 40%, each pokie will still make a solid profit, far outstripping any costs associated with overheads or keeping the switch turned on :lol: They'd make much more then the pittance of a profit that clubs make from selling Schooners at $2.30, put it that way anyway

Revenue Neutral? Where'd u get that from? What a crock, give me a site or some stats that suggest that

For starters, a higher turnover results in higher profits. Clubs are only obligated to pay out about 80-85% of turnover. So how will higher taxes stop the average joe from sticking money into a machine? How you could the higher taxes an incentive for clubs to earn money in other ways is laughable. Go look at your local clubs p and l, the pie is well and truly taken up by pokie machine revenues. Hate to tell you, but clubs have survived off pokies for a long time. Other activities are community services. I know this might be a shock to you, but the club doesn't make much money off selling schooners for $2.30 or getting Kamahl to play at the club for $3 a ticket

"Revenue Neutral" :lol: ....that still has me laughing. That was perhaps the worst attempt at trying to sound educated that i have ever read!

Thanks for the laugh mate,
Moffo

Anonymous

Juniors
Moffo said:
Actually Syphon, your talking to someone that is just about to complete a business degree. So for starters, you can stick your elitist approach up your arse
:lol: You mean as opposed to University elitism?
No offence Moffo... but that really cracked me up.
btw congrats on nearing the finish of your business degree. :D