What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The millionmares club

Who of the players listed is actually worth 1 million dollars a year?

• Ash Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anthony Milford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jason Taumalolo

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Ben Hunt

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Daly Cherry-Evans

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • David Fifita

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • None of them

Votes: 23 53.5%

• Total voters

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
This subject was broached tonight on 360 when discussing Ash Taylor's future. Their list of million dollar players didn't include Fifita but I thought it was worth putting him in there, because I think even Titans fans would submit that his debut year with them has left a lot to be desired, especially considering they are still in the running for a finals spot.

Looking over that list, I would deadset say none of them are currently earning their keep for their clubs as compared to their value. Ash Taylor has never lived up to the hype that landed him on big money with the Tits and looks like he won't even be in the NRL soon enough, Hunt is injured and was playing hot and cold footy when he was fit, Milford had his first decent game in 3 years this past weekend but won't be getting a deal that good again anywhere, Cherry-Evans only seems to be able to play well piggybacking off Turbo's efforts and goes MIA when Tom is absent and Taumalolo has been dealing with injury all season and has been swirling in the rumor mill regarding an apparent strained relationship with the coach over his playing minutes.

So what's the deal here? Why do players seem to fall into a dip as soon as they sign on for the big dosh? Is it just the weight of the pay packet around their necks? Complacency? Or do player agents just have way too much sway over the clubs in a shallow talent pool?

It's a question worth looking at I reckon cause as the cap increases over the next few years, we're going to see a lot more players on this sort of money whether they deserve that much or not, and at the very least the media won't miss an opportunity to put the blowtorch on a well paid player who is down on form.

Last edited:
Out of that lot the most valuable is probably Cherry. You want to spend the big bucks on a fullback or a halfback. Whilst Fifta and Taumalolo are probably better players, it’s your playmakers who win you the clutch games.

Current players worth that pay packet:
Turbo
Teddy
Cleary
Munster
Latrell

maybe a couple of others.

catstorm

Juniors
Out of that lot the most valuable is probably Cherry. You want to spend the big bucks on a fullback or a halfback. Whilst Fifta and Taumalolo are probably better players, it’s your playmakers who win you the clutch games.

Current players worth that pay packet:
Turbo
Teddy
Cleary
Munster
Latrell

maybe a couple of others.
Yeah that looks about right, before he got knocked the f**k out Papy was going pretty close to that level earlier in the year as well.

Whatever the case with any of these players worthy or not..

NRL360 can get f*cked…

They’d been hammering Anthony Milford for years now, and Fox league in general too. Eg Greg Alexander said he was “stealing money” yet only a few days later said on the back page he was getting paid “to play golf” at the Warriors. He’s an effing hypocrite, and infused with Murdoch DNA now along with the others in the Murdoch puppet factory…

This is the same company that promoted hate posts on social media targetting Corey Norman as a story from “staff writers” aka cowards. Insinuated Ben Hunt faking an injury during a match during the telecast (Sampson)… and many others…

Criticism is fine but inflammatory, sensationalistic, continual criticism of players - effectively character assassination - by paid “professionals” is gutless and a simplistic tactic to stir up the mob and get attention.

Some blokes can deflect criticism like water off a ducks back. Others don’t. In an age where mental health awareness is rightly getting more respect, Fox are double agents - trying to portray they are for the game and it’s players but continuously stab them to try and get ratings, have relevance..

F U X League

soc123_au

Staff member
DCE is the only one listed that goes close.
What it does show is if that lot is the benchmark for a million then Turbo, Teddy & Cleary are on huge unders.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Be interesting to know how many really are on a million, I mean that's 10% of the cap on one player which is a lot. We only have news ltd journos to go on in regards to whose getting what so I always take it with a big pinch of salt. I wonder if you'd be better of with 3 $700k quality players over 1 $1million and 2 $500k players??
I wouldnt think the Melbourne 3 of papa, grant and Hughes are on more than $2mill between them yet hard to argue they arent worth every cent of that.

The_Frog

First Grade
I wouldnt think the Melbourne 3 of papa, grant and Hughes are on more than $2mill between them yet hard to argue they arent worth every cent of that.
Depends when their deals were done. All have come from the clouds in the last season and a half.

The_Frog

First Grade
DCE is the only one listed that goes close.
What it does show is if that lot is the benchmark for a million then Turbo, Teddy & Cleary are on huge unders.
Turbo has injury risk associated with him which reduces his value. Teddy is probably playing for less than he'd get elsewhere like everyone else at the Roosters. Nathan will probably get massive offers before he's much older and will have tough decisions to make.

Walpole

Juniors
None of the players on the list. Turbo, Teddy and Cleary definitely, and some of the Melbourne blokes must be close (Munster) or on their way (Pap).

Latest posts