What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NEED to win

sheet_ed

Juniors
I don't believe the hype that journalists make up as they try and fill their columns, but once does get a sense of something from that gaggle that they have picked up on something. It is not what players say, it is about the way they approach a response.

I once penned a thread on players such as Joey Johns, Ray Price, Bob Fulton and Darren Lockyer and it was in regard to The Need to Win. All the conversations from the Storm this year come from a need not a want, Manly still talk about the want.

I heard Orford and Menzies talk last night on the footy show and their responses was exactly like the Storm last year, they are basking in their solid effort to make the GF. Then Slater and Smith came on and the tone changed, light hearted, but really, really focused.

I know it will be a great clash, both teams are ahead of their rivals by at least one to two years. The thing that will come into the clash will be the enforcers, the Kites and Watmoughs versus the Jeremy Smiths and Crokers. I expect a number of players to be put on report.

The only thing that will rattle the Storm will be the intangible referee.

If Manly win - it really is good for the game to have the spread of premierships that have occured over the past 10 years. Also for Steve Bell - still one of my favourite players.

If Storm win - it will be great for the interest in Victoria - I don't know of any Victorians that will not be watching it on Sunday.

Salute to both teams, as we asked for the best to play the best and we got it - going to be a great game.

I have read and watched everything Storm related this week...IMO the boys look really settled and calm about the GF.

They are not talking themselves up and Bellamy is giving the NSW media a run for their money.

I was gutted last year and still hate to think about that day last year...as to this year, I have absolutely no idea how I will feel !!!...

Stormboyz

Juniors
sheet_ed said:
I heard Orford and Menzies talk last night on the footy show and their responses was exactly like the Storm last year, they are basking in their solid effort to make the GF. Then Slater and Smith came on and the tone changed, light hearted, but really, really focused.
Couldn't agree more.
Manly remind me so much of us last year. Not saying the result is in the bag, but I will be very surprised if we drop this one. Still, anything can happen in a two-horse race. Two bets sides all season by a long way. Can't wait for sunday.

Molly

Juniors
Been in Sydney since Wednesday, the press is hilarious here, If I didnt know better I would think Manly were playing themselves. I have to say I now understand why most on these forums have the views they have about the Storm, they are fed more propagander than I have every seen. Each major Journo has obviously tried their best to look at why we wont win, and the corker was the stats re teams backing up after a GF loss....there is a very real smell of desperation here and I am ecoming more and more confident as we draw nearer to the game.

I loved Weidlers opening on his little bit on the Footy show (that show was a total embarressment and I cant beleive people paid to be there) was gold re Cayless.

GO STORM

Ridders

Coach
agree with u there, the Sydney Media are a bit of a joke when it comes to portraying the storm. I understand they're obviously trying to promote the Sydney club, but some of the articles are a bit of a joke. As Molly said, if you didn't know much, you would assume Manly were playing themselves as all the media fills pages with is sh*t about manly and good they are.

Love how whenever they write about the storm, its almost always about either the Ripper, Crusher, Puller tackles etc.