What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the new Pride of the League

shiznit

Coach
Wow. Are you stupid? Did I say 106 years in first grade rugby league? Actually the period from '99 to '01 only adds to the South Sydney legend. We fought our way back in. Just one more reason we're The Pride.

Which Pride??

gaypride_fb_1273257.jpg

ellskimore

Juniors
It should stay with souffs IMO so we can have a good old lol at them every time they fail. Souffs fans are actually proud of the title and get very offended if you try to suggest they aren?t the pride of the league. Personally I couldn?t care what any opposition fan thinks of my club but I guess when your team hasn?t won anything for 40 years, superficial titles are all you have to live for.

Well said.

ram raid

Bench
I think the only team that could actually make that claim nowadays would be as much as I hate to say it, Manly. Or even Brisbane.

Manly have been the only team to win a grand final every decade for the last 40 years and has been in at least one every decade since the 50's.

And Brisbane's 6 premierships since 1988 pretty much speaks for itself really.

Is "pride of the league" based on how successful the club has been? I always thought of it as being about something to do with the, er, pride, the supporters show in their team. You gotta hand it to Souths how they didn't take getting kicked out of the comp laying down. Most clubs would have rolled over but they kicked up enough of a stick to get back in. I doubt many other clubs would have had enough resolve to pull that off.

Is "pride of the league" based on how successful the club has been? I always thought of it as being about something to do with the, er, pride, the supporters show in their team. You gotta hand it to Souths how they didn't take getting kicked out of the comp laying down. Most clubs would have rolled over but they kicked up enough of a stick to get back in. I doubt many other clubs would have had enough resolve to pull that off.

Well if you ask a Souffs supporter why they're the "pride of the league" most will base it off their success in the past?

Swarzey

Bench

Technically yes, but it's hard to give it any legitimacy when their last success, on field success, was decades ago. The image of Pride of the League is being consistently at the top and while Souths have had a successful few recent years, it isn't enough to justify it.

The clubs that wouldn't have had the resolve to bring their team back into the league were already gone. At the time, clubs such as Melbourne and NQL would have struggled, but 13 other clubs' supporters would have fought tooth and nail, just like Souths, to get back in.

If Newcastle were to be kicked out because of the ownership debacle (Highly unlikely anyway), the town would put South Sydney's efforts to shame.

StormHi

Juniors
Technically yes, but it's hard to give it any legitimacy when their last success, on field success, was decades ago. The image of Pride of the League is being consistently at the top and while Souths have had a successful few recent years, it isn't enough to justify it.

The clubs that wouldn't have had the resolve to bring their team back into the league were already gone. At the time, clubs such as Melbourne and NQL would have struggled, but 13 other clubs' supporters would have fought tooth and nail, just like Souths, to get back in.

If Newcastle were to be kicked out because of the ownership debacle (Highly unlikely anyway), the town would put South Sydney's efforts to shame.

Yeah Because melbourne fans showed 0 support for the Storm durring a tough time............. :roll:

GTFO with that Garbage...... Only reason there was a march in the streets is that the Media got the Dole Bludger form hand in line confused with a supporters rally. :lol:

f**k $ouffs and being the Pride of League. That title should go to Manly or the Broncos and I despise those guys more then $ouffs.

Lambretta

First Grade
You're a scumbag. People bag me but I've never wished for a club to be killed. For that fact alone I'm better than you.

He didn't wish you dead - you can still be someones feeder club and "live"

Remember Bran Van pointed out the fact that you still existed even though you weren't in the comp for a couple of years

So NSW Cup - there's a league you can be proud to be a part of

:p

Seriously though - "Pride of...." is such a dumb thing to say about a football team. West Ham, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all claim to be "the Pride of London" although West Ham have realised they're utter pants at time and use "Pride of the East End" as their only competitors are Millwall and Leyton Orient. Why on earth would I as a Londoner be proud of a club I can't stand like f**king Chelsea? I always thought it was a stupid thing to claim. You've only cemented my belief.

Hollow platitudes - utterly pointless

Swarzey

Bench
Yeah Because melbourne fans showed 0 support for the Storm durring a tough time............. :roll:

GTFO with that Garbage...... Only reason there was a march in the streets is that the Media got the Dole Bludger form hand in line confused with a supporters rally. :lol:

f**k $ouffs and being the Pride of League. That title should go to Manly or the Broncos and I despise those guys more then $ouffs.

f**k me, I'm not bashing the club just because it's Storm like others do, I just don't believe there would have been enough support to bring the club back into the league, like the Cowboys.

I'm also not talking as if it happened today, I was talking as if it were another club in South's place at the exact time. However, I recall plenty of fickle fans who turned their back on the Storm in 2010.

ram raid

Bench

I don't know about that. Newcastle have a pretty strong supporter base, but so did the Bears, Tigers, Magpies, ... yeah I know they're merged but come on. Newtown were a pretty well supported club back in the day. My grandfather stopped watching rugby league when they got booted.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
You're a scumbag. People bag me but I've never wished for a club to be killed. For that fact alone I'm better than you.

Get f**ked you piece if shit. In 2000 when the Warriors were in financial trouble Piggins and your legion of "victims" cried out for the Warriors to be kicked out and replaced by Souths to keep the comp at the same numbers.

You were wrongly kicked out and your solution was to do the same to another team just so you could get your way. From that moment it has always been f**k Souths, hypocrites of the league.

StormHi

Juniors
Get f**ked you piece if shit. In 2000 when the Warriors were in financial trouble Piggins and your legion of "victims" cried out for the Warriors to be kicked out and replaced by Souths to keep the comp at the same numbers.

You were wrongly kicked out and your solution was to do the same to another team just so you could get your way. From that moment it has always been f**k Souths, hypocrites of the league.

This

Valheru

Coach

No, souffs fans actually believe that their decrepit club is the jewel in the crown in not only the NRL but in all sport in the known universe. This was obviously proven wrong when they were rightly kicked out of the comp and it will be proven again when they get the boot someday soon.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Any fan if given a choice between their team surviving and another team surviving will hope it is theirs.

You're the one wanting us dead when it has no affect on your team.