What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new Ruck rule - The final verdict

Should the new ruck rule be implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • Yes but slowely

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

Goddy

Juniors
I think it's fair to say the Powerplay didn't work out that well, so we'll focus on the ruck rule which, in my opinion should be implemented into the NRL regular season. It's been a long time coming for that fast paced type of football to become common place.

What say you?

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I like the idea behind it but felt it was terribly executed.

If it's used, I would like to see one reset of the tackle count per set of six with the next infringement as a penalty. So it would be basically used almost as an advantage rule.

Ausguy

Coach
no way... the captains should be given an opportunity to question why a decision has been made... this would leave the game open up to some serious issues.

What if the players didnt hear 6 again?

What if i want a penalty so i can kick for goal?

The refs need to justify the decisions they make. I hope they never ever introduce this rule.

some11

Referee
I like the idea behind it but felt it was terribly executed.

If it's used, I would like to see one reset of the tackle count per set of six with the next infringement as a penalty. So it would be basically used almost as an advantage rule.

Agree on all points.

franklin2323

Immortal
I like it. Clearly it needs testing under the 12 interchange 4 person bench situation. It was certainly better then the situation you get when you hear in sportsears ears your off then said player makes the tackle 9/10 times it's let go. Although every 3rd should be an actual penalty or something. Certainly worth tweeking around & keeping.

Jono078

Referee
I like what carlos and ausguy said.

It should be tweaked upon, but in general I like it.

Big Pete

Referee
It needs tweaking but on the whole I liked it. The game ran smoother and it didn't give the commentators time to bitch about referee decisions.

Nerd

Bench
I liked it but the ref needs to run to the spot/ruck and award another set of 6.

I know this would hold up play for 5-10 seconds but at least the spectators and TV viewers would know what was happening.

Even the commentators were struggling to pick up restarting of the tackle count.

Loudstrat

Coach
Agree. The game was fast, but mainly because it was yet another way to f*ck over the markers. I can also see it leading to a side not knowing what the tackle count is.

And for it to work the ruck interpretations have to be spot on. Like the time when Third Man In and the first two tacklers drove someone back, and the referee called "held held held held HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD HELD" while they carried him to f*cking Wilcannia, and made him play the ball.

The captains need the ability to clarify. More importantly, the fans have the right to know why a penalty was given.

drago brelli

Bench
I don't see the point in this game. Ithink it's patronising to the Aboriginal people. A match like this is too hard on the players. The game is too intense for this time of the year.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I liked it but the ref needs to run to the spot/ruck and award another set of 6.

I know this would hold up play for 5-10 seconds but at least the spectators and TV viewers would know what was happening.

Even the commentators were struggling to pick up restarting of the tackle count.

I can also see it leading to a side not knowing what the tackle count is..................
More importantly, the fans have the right to know why a penalty was given.

Agree with the above comments. At times it felt a bit like touch football........chaos

anarchy

Is there such a thing as the play being too fast?

After tonight I'm thinking maybe...........

edit:

Didn't like the idea of the "power play", I hope that's the last we see of it....

Last edited:

Special K

Coach
The idea behind it is good but it doesn't work and actually caused more "penalties" because teams were so far on the back foot.

Sadly I believe it will happen eventually.

RL1908

Bench
More importantly, the fans have the right to know why a penalty was given.

That's the big one. If you remove the theatre of the game (which comes from knowing what is going on in every aspect), you risk disconnecting why fans get into RL, especially at the ground.

It also seemed (but maybe it was Ch9) that every "six again" turned into "zero tackle plus six again" - which is obviously 7 tackles.

It also seemed the refs were more inclined to give a "six again" penalty when in 2011 they would have let it go. The "six again" should've simply replaced what was a penalty given in 2011, not see it as an opportunity to give more penalties due to the lesser punishment scale.

Seems they need hand/arm signals for the referee that can inform the players, fans & commentators what the "six again" was for. Some of the penalties arguably aren't worth "six again" - some maybe should graded like NFL....But all of that is probably unworkable as RL is non-stop, whereas NFL has a natural break between each play.

I would like see more experimenting with the idea - it is worth perservering with.

The power play proved to be as absurd as most thought it would be. The only surprising aspect was seeing/hearing those standing in wonder at an 11-man team scoring against 13 - as if a try involving all 13 attacking team's players (directly or indirectly) is a common thing!

M2D2

Bench
...the fans have the right...
:lol: What game have you been watching? Obviously the one that makes you give those laughable predictions every year.

Whats Doing

Bench
A team could end up with 50 straight tackles and god knows what the tackle count was. Put it straight into the trash can otherwise it will end up like touch footy.

Cheops

Juniors
Agree with most here - the general idea is good, but the execution wasn't quite right tonight. There needs to be a more obvious signal for both the spectators and players - at one stage the Indigenous team kicked on the first tackle because they didn't realise they had got a restart. The refs also were too trigger-happy tonight, especially in the first half but that is something that would be fixed over time.

The other issue is that there is no real disincentive to slowing the play the ball down on the zero and first tackle. Coaches like Bellamy would exploit that shamelessly if it were a competition game.

Slackboy72

Coach
I also felt the refs were restarting way too often and too easily.
All you have to do is change the rule so it's still a penalty but you can only tap the ball.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
The refs need to not penalise every time a player breathes on the ball, and some kind of whistle action needs to happen to let everyone know when there is an infringement. Two quick blows of the whistle maybe?

Rabs was also having a yarn about the need to introduce more interchanges when this happens, I like a game where the forwards get tired because:
A) it opens the game up to the smaller players
B) Backs are forced to actually do some work to take the pressure off the forwards.

Well, in terms of the fans...

...we have electronic scoreboards that flash up "6 again" and we can use a unique buzzer that the crowd can hear.

Just ideas, but the video ref hears everything that the two in the middle say so they could be responsible.

As for the players, just have the refs both yell it a couple of times. Maybe the touchies, too.

I agree that, as previously suggested, maybe make the third running infringement a penalty or something.