What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new Ruck rule - The final verdict

Should the new ruck rule be implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • Yes but slowely

Votes: 18 22.5%

• Total voters

Bulldog Force

Referee
Im not a fan of the proposed changes, but your arguement is on the wrong track.

To disadvantage a team by removing players simply IS PART OF OUR GAME. (i.e. due to repeated infringements or foul play)
No you've missed the point... deliberately disadvantaging a team for the sake of it (powerplay rule) - I'm not talking about sin bins or send offs.

Lambretta

First Grade
The game has speeded up since the 1980's with such things at the 7 then 10m rule, 20m tap restarts, unlimited interchange, the downtown rule, time limits for kicks etc. Super League wanted the game to be faster, and it was diabolical. In 2001 the game was super fast - my mob benefitted as much as anyone - but in the next few seasons the downsides apparent in the "touch footy" attitude were dealt with.

There has to be a place in our game for defence - and good defence to be rewarded. That is why the dominant tackle emerged.

Last night one of my great bugbears emerged - the attacking player walking around the marker, taking 2 steps forward, and playing the ball - making the marker offside and effectively taking a man out of the defensive line. It is one of a series of little things that Bill Harrigan clamped down on when he got to top referees job last year. Despite the hue and cry, I loved seeing those little things penalised - like the goal line drop 1m in front of the goal line, the sloppy play the ball etc.

Last night these things were relaxed. It looked like touch footy out there. While a great spectacle - face it, indigenous players are great when the game is fast - the only time it looked like fair dinkum Rugby League was when JWH fired up like all good serious forwards do. I hate the sight of a marker who makes a good dominant tackle, stands up to mark, only to see the ball player walk past him to play the ball! Face it, the marker does ANYTHING and he's penalised.

The game is lightning fast, but it does not need to be faster. It is already too fast for playmakers to construct plays rather than simply react to them.

Agree 100%

In regards to the actual game and the re-starting of the count, at times it happened so quickly that you barely noticed it happening and it got confusing as to where we were in the count. I quite like the idea of stopping the game, awarding 6 more tackles and continuing without a kick, rather than allowing the game to flow on and more and more re-starts of the count happening and everyone losing where they are up to.

I thought the idea was a good one, but the way they did it was confusing in practice.