What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL Suggestion Box Thread

Le Rouge

Juniors
HOW WOULD U IMPROVE THE NRL OR RUGBY LEAGUE IN GENERAL?

The NRL still has TONNES of work to do to continuosly improve the game.
So heres a thread to to help our NRL bosses, from the fans point of view

Your Suggestions can be Long term or Short term ideas or Major or Minor improvements

Maybe they will read it and take note. Maybe they wont, but hey its a spot for us to express our ideas on where Rugby League the Best sport on the planet could be directed to

my ideas are

* Look at improving crowd figures maybe decrease ticket prices or something

* Hire some rugby yawnion marketers hey if they can make rugby yawnion get the attention its getting compared to what it deserves these guys can perform miracles that sport is sooooooo boring

*In the future get another team in QLD, Central Coast, Wellington or on the south island of NZ

* Channel9 to play the games live in other states and on sunday arvo's and get saturday games goin again on TV at the moment channel 9 is treating the game as a joke

t-ba

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
Le Rouge said:
*In the future get another team in QLD, Central Coast or Wellington

There will be a Gold Coast team in 2005.

Suicide. A New team will need atleast 2 seasons, considerable salary cap concessions and decent promotion to take. 2007 at the earliest if we want a feasible team. 2006 for the bears, because they won't die off a second time.

Although Rugby League this year was the best we've seen in a while, I think there is still alot of room for improvement. You may think that I'm a winger but I like to have my say because I think we need to throw around suggestions and views so that things can be improved. Anyway since I'm so lazy, I decided to copy paste my post in another forum ("Rams & Reds"). Some things that I mention might be unrealistic or whatever so please tell me what you think and if some of the ideas could work then we could send them off to the NRL:

Alot of people say Gallop is confident, positive, professional etc. But what has he done (he did make a correct decision about the salary cap). I never hear about the development of young players, promotion of RL in Non-RL areas. In other words he has done f**k all.
They sit around and scratch their heads and wonder why our crowds are so crap. All they say is "we want to get bums on seats". We'll get off your own bum and do something about it!! A huge amount of tickets were bought then given away (warriors game) to get more people interested in RL (and the warriors). Who did this? NOT THE NRL. Low crowd numbers arn't just in sydney. The warriors should be able to get more people. Super 12 games in NZ (and Aus. too) get bloody good crowds. Yet the warriors, who apparantly represent the whole of NZ get crowds around 20k (which is pathetic IMO). They Sydney Swans get better crowds than the Raiders, Broncos, Knights. These are well established clubs in RL heartland, and each have whole cites to themselves. Something seriously doesn't add up. There's a massive market for RL. Just think about it: North QLD, NZ, Brisbane/gold coast/South Qld, Central Coast, Newcastle/Hunter, ACT, Illawarra/Wollongong, Sydney and Melbourne. What has the AFL got: Melbourne, Perth, Adeleide and Sydney and look at their crowds! There's a heap of potential in RL heartland..but its asleap. Can't the NRL understand that they have to promote the game and actually try to sell it and do it the right way. Doesn't the NRL relise that the Broncos have been established since the late eighties, have a whole city to themselves and get less people to their games than the Lions AFL club. Something just doesn't add up. Can't they see this?!
What was the general opinion of the RL fans that went to the SydVCollingwood AFL game? "...couldn't believe the atmosphere." Doesn't that say something about RL. I love going to games..Sorry..I look forward to going to games. Then when I get there I have to put up with the clown that calls my team "the mitsubishi electric bulldogs". I never here the club song played, instead I here all this disco music crap or whatever they call it. There's none of those huge banners etc etc. In my opinion its pretty shithouse.
The NRL needs to give itself a big boost. Like a revoultion. Whether it be giving away tickets etc. Once people experience a game with a huge vocal crowd they'll want to go back. At the moment the NRL is hoping that crowds slowly increase.
(correct me if I'm wrong) but I herd that if there was a pokie tax in Victoria it would not affect the AFL clubs. Why? Have a look at their season ticket holders numbers. They don't rely on no hopers sitting behind one armed bandits to keep their clubs alive..they rely on supporters..TRUE SUPPORTERS that are dedicated and go to every game, go to open training sessions etc to SUPPORT their team. We need this sort of passion installed into Rugby League. But Gallop never talks about it. He just boasts about the deal with 2GB that "is in the best interest of Rugby League" (If I hear that one more time from Gallop I'm going to rip the bastard's glasses off his head and shove them down his throat..because its all a load of bullsh*t). A caller (on 2sm) asked why 2GB got the "exclusive rights" (bullsh*t) and why other stations didn't get the chance to call games. All Gallop (who was taking calls) said was "well we beleive that 2GB do a professional job at broadcasting". Ok they get excellent ratings. But why not let other stations, who would be willing, to broadcast games (2UE, 2SM and maybe an FM station). This would increase the audience. A dickhead can work it out..2GB are offering big money to be the sole (comercial station) that can call games. Gallop isn't thinking of increasing the audience. If he was fair dinkum he would make sure that games are broadcasted right across Australia through the maquarie network(2GB). He would let channel 7, 10 and ABC show games if they want to. They are (nrl) staving for money (which is fair enough) BUT WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH THIS MONEY? f**k ALL. No promotion, sh*t development of jouniors. They arn't looking into the future. What ever happened to "that's my team" that was a five minute wonder.
During superleague Rugby League in Australia fell into a deep hole. We need to get ourselves out of the hole. The NRL are hoping that somebody will help us. But it will never happen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Gold Coast team has been in the melting pot for 2 years.

The Joint Venture Group are the people who market the trial games on the Gold Coast.

There has been alot of planning gone into it, and knowing the professionalism of the orginisers, it has a good chance of coming to fruition.

SP

Bench
I dont know if anyone here would agree with me, but i quite liked the red & yellow card idea that was used in the Ashes (i dont know if they are always used in internationals)

Maybe they can be introduced maybe in a few years time in the NRL (all domestic comps) but with some slight rule changes

EG:

1 yellow card would be a sin bin, then if the same player gets another yellow card they would be sent off the field and miss out on the next game....... more or less 2 yellow cards equal a red (like soccer)

2: red card = send off and miss out on the next 2 games, then if the same player gets a 2nd red card he will miss out on 4 games, and if he gets a 3rd one during the season, he would not play in 1st grade for the rest of the season

Its just my thoughts, so please no one go nuts about what i said :lol:

Matt23

Staff member
Sign Players like Darren Lockyer & Andrew Johns, and up and comers like Luke Lewis to long term deals.

innsaneink

Referee
Lewis said:
I dont know if anyone here would agree with me, but i quite liked the red & yellow card idea that was used in the Ashes (i dont know if they are always used in internationals)

Maybe they can be introduced maybe in a few years time in the NRL (all domestic comps) but with some slight rule changes

EG:

1 yellow card would be a sin bin, then if the same player gets another yellow card they would be sent off the field and miss out on the next game....... more or less 2 yellow cards equal a red (like soccer)

2: red card = send off and miss out on the next 2 games, then if the same player gets a 2nd red card he will miss out on 4 games, and if he gets a 3rd one during the season, he would not play in 1st grade for the rest of the season

Its just my thoughts, so please no one go nuts about what i said :lol:
So your basically saying the ref is judge AND jury.....No judiciary?
There are different reasons for a player to be sent off...but your suggesting the same penalty??
And if the ref is wrong?

SP

Bench
Yeah there will still be a judiciary, A red card could mean sent off and on report. And the player/s who have recieved the red card from the ref in the match would still face the judiciary, and also they would watch the incident and see if it would be worth the player missing out on the next rounds, and also to see if the referee was wrong or right........... maybe it should be thought out

dimitri

First Grade
take the game back to perth and adelaide

they didnt deserve to have their teams killed

DIEHARD

----
dimitri said:
take the game back to perth and adelaide

they didnt deserve to have their teams killed

There is a time for everything and the time for that is over a decade away. It's ridiculous and also a tramendous waste of money suggesting to bring back the Reds and Perth when the Storm are battling to stay afloat. When the Storm is strong and viable and when our strongholds are properly nurtured then it may be time to begin to think about being in Adelaide or Perth.

Bring on the Gold Coast and a few years after that another Brissie team. It's time to take back Queensland and thus also help the SOO team be more competitive.

GO THE GOLD COAST!!!!!

ibeme

First Grade
These are some of the points that I think are worth considering:

1. Each NRL team should adopt a regional area in which they are responsible for holding coaching clinics, and perhaps a pre-season match. If done right each club would, over time, develop a bit of an affiliation in which players from those areas aspire to play for the respective club.

2. The marketing people need to identify those players (ask for volunteers) that are willing to become ambassadors of the sport. These players would be respectable players (eg. Steve Price) who are good with the media and aren't likely to find themselves in one of Rebecca Wilson's articles reveiving bad press. The more character the players have the better, but they need to balance character and responsibility. They then need to use these players in cross-marketing excercises, like the Wallabies players with QANTAS and Vodaphone. These ads promote both the sponsors and the sponsored.

3. Re-introduce 'old-style' club songs at the games, where everybody can sing along. At Bulldogs games, 'Who let the dog's out' has it's place, but it doesn't suit everyone. A club-song that everyone can sing along to is needed. The Sharks have 'Roll out Cronulla'. Dragons have 'When the saints go marching in'. The Swans have 'Cheer cheer the red and the white'. I don't know what others exist. These songs become synonomous with the clubs, and create a festive atmosphere at the games.

4. A kids tv show, in the same vein as the show the AFL has on Saturday mornings, should be put together if possible. It's where kids get to interview their favorite players and see the game and the players from a perspective they can relate to more.

I'll probably think of more later, but these are the ones that come to mind.

ibeme

First Grade
I also think that more games should be played on the Central Coast. They've got the new stadium there, but it's not being used. They should have a game there every fortnight. Perhaps the teams who have low home-ground support can nominate games to play there.

Mystery Man

Juniors
Rugby league in Australia needs one governing body. This problem was meant to be solved years ago, but we still have the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL operating as seperate bodies. As long as self-interest continues to rear its ugly head, the game will not move forward.

Expansion needs to be put back on the agenda, with a long-term plan implemented. If the game continues on with what it currently has, progress will be difficult.

Both the NRL and SL grand finals should be held on the last weekend of September so that an annual international season can be held throughout October and November.

Le Rouge

Juniors
The central coast would have a team in the NRL if they guys that built that stadium finished before the deadline without and any mistakes they had to keep fixing the errors made during construction , this was a huge factor in the demise of the Bears, being forced to play without a home ground the bears had no chance with maintaining costs they even played at suncorp for a few scheduled home ground matches
its one of the most tragic stories of the NRL, The Bears were a brilliant team in the NRL during the 90's probably the most unlucky team
having only one team between the harbour bridge and newcastle is stupid and a waste of a brilliant stadium that the bears staked their whole future on and it back fired through no fault of their own..... stupid construction workers

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Guys?

Send your ideas into the NRL. All of them. Ideas for Country RL, National comp, WA and SA teams, International comp ideas. TV and radio deals. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!1

I've said it before. Posting great ideas here does nothing. If we ALL send ALL our ideas to the NRL(and maybe NINE and some newspapers) , then they'll KNOW how passionate we are about the sport we love.

We need to all band together and make it happen. Choose a date and email away!

At the sfs (R.13, '03) I noticed that the ground annoncer came down onto the ground to get the crowd (mainly Roosters supporters) hyped. However at the olympic stadium the ground annoncer doesn't get the crowd really motivated. He'll just say the score and the player that scored the try etc. Its good to see the cheergirls walk around the ground and give away footballs etc.
It would be also good if street performers would be given permission to perform outside the stadium and even those rides for kids. We need to make it like an easter show kinda atmosphere.
ibeme said:
3. Re-introduce 'old-style' club songs at the games, where everybody can sing along. At Bulldogs games, 'Who let the dog's out' has it's place, but it doesn't suit everyone. A club-song that everyone can sing along to is needed. The Sharks have 'Roll out Cronulla'. Dragons have 'When the saints go marching in'. The Swans have 'Cheer cheer the red and the white'. I don't know what others exist. These songs become synonomous with the clubs, and create a festive atmosphere at the games.
This is an example of something that basically costs nothing. Most of the clubs already have 'old style' songs which arn't being used anymore. It just a matter of playing them again. Simple.
We need things that will change people's attitude towards RL. We have to turn RL fans to RL supporters. This takes alot of time. But there must be incentives. Like trying to make going to the footy more of a special occasion.
We need to make the RL community more fanatical. Making NSW, QLD, ACT into states where everyone has a football team that they follow.
ibeme said:
The marketing people need to identify those players (ask for volunteers) that are willing to become ambassadors of the sport.
They should be encouraged to volunteer to ring up radio stations to talk about the games coming up on the weekend or to promote special deals at certain times of the year eg.mothers day (mothers get in free), easter weekend (under 12 free).

The NRL should have a look at the footy show. It does not promote the game at all. It makes out sport into a joke. I believe that there should be less than half of the show dedicated to entertainment and the rest about football. It probably wouldn't rate as well but surley the NRL could subsidise ch.9. A good idea would be to gradually increase the amount of time dedicated to football.

Mark Rudd said:
Guys?

Send your ideas into the NRL. All of them. Ideas for Country RL, National comp, WA and SA teams, International comp ideas. TV and radio deals. EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!1

I've said it before. Posting great ideas here does nothing. If we ALL send ALL our ideas to the NRL(and maybe NINE and some newspapers) , then they'll KNOW how passionate we are about the sport we love.

We need to all band together and make it happen. Choose a date and email away!
Good idea. Someone who knows how to write a real good leter can combine all our ideas. And in the letter we can list all the people that contributed. We could send one within a week and then another in month from now if there are more ideas. We can make it an ongoing thing. Possible even open up a new forum where there is someone in charge to combine all the ideas into one letter to send off to the NRL."The Rugby League Suggestion Box"..how good would that be!...We could have different topics for different RL bodies ie.International RL, NSWRL, QRL, Country RL, and RL bodies in emerging states. If we really encourage all the people that use this site to think up ideas or things that concern them, then I rekon it really would make an impact on RL.