What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The off contract thread 2023

Avenger

Immortal
He has a player option so he’s in no hurry. Given his age I doubt our offer is much more than the player option.
Like we all said weeks ago it would be best if he just activated it but he won’t because his market value is at its highest now.

Which when you think about it is an acknowledgment by all that he will regress and has probably reached his peak. Another reason why I think it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he decided to leave after this season.

The club was smart when they decided that Brown was the priority and the real long term marquee.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Like we all said weeks ago it would be best if he just activated it but he won’t because his market value is at its highest now.

Which when you think about it is an acknowledgment by all that he will regress and has probably reached his peak. Another reason why I think it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he decided to leave after this season.

The club was smart when they decided that Brown was the priority and the real long term marquee.
Brown still has his best football in front of him?? Does Moses??? The club were right to prioritise Brown IMO. He’s a generational talent he just needs to be more consistent.

Cloeel

Juniors
Supposedly Moses' Manager is asking Parra to increase there offer of 1m this week.

If Moses re-signs its one of 3 scenarios;

- Parra have increased there initial offer
- Parra have maintained initial offer but provided an additional year.
- Moses has folded and accepts the initial offer.

Either way Moses will be taking significantly less to stay at Parra.

The more that Dylan Brown matures/develops the less valuable Moses is to Parra.

Do we particularly need Moses in 24 months time taking up 1m of our salary cap when you have an even more experienced/skilled Dylan Brown?

strider

Post Whore
Supposedly Moses' Manager is asking Parra to increase there offer of 1m this week.

If Moses re-signs its one of 3 scenarios;

- Parra have increased there initial offer
- Parra have maintained initial offer but provided an additional year.
- Moses has folded and accepts the initial offer.

Either way Moses will be taking significantly less to stay at Parra.

The more that Dylan Brown matures/develops the less valuable Moses is to Parra.

Do we particularly need Moses in 24 months time taking up 1m of our salary cap when you have an even more experienced/skilled Dylan Brown?
Maybe Drown already peaked? Maybe he will never have a good long kicking game?
(Not that i necessarily think this, but its possible)

I think 1m is probably unders for mitch given the latest cap increases .... he/his manager are probably right to want more

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

If not Moses, it should/would be another million dollar halfback.

What's a shit halfback worth ? Sure they are cheaper but is that what we want ?

We aint gonna win a GF with a cheap shit halfback and there aint any $600K match winning X factor halfbacks out there.

Dylbro is more of a running 5/8 who is an unbelievable defender, he's not a game or play controller imo. He can make line breaks and set up tries but he's not a game controller, I just don't think that's part of his game.

With the new salary cap increase I think a $million is the yardstick for a halfback of Mitch's quality.

Cloeel

Juniors
Maybe Drown already peaked? Maybe he will never have a good long kicking game?
(Not that i necessarily think this, but its possible)

I think 1m is probably unders for mitch given the latest cap increases .... he/his manager are probably right to want more

At 22 it is safe to expect Dylan Brown still has some substantial improvement.

Munster is on 1m and Cleary is on 1.2m - going off that anything more than 1m for Moses would be considered overs?

Why would he and his manager be entitled to more?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If not Moses, it should/would be another million dollar halfback.

What's a shit halfback worth ? Sure they are cheaper but is that what we want ?

We aint gonna win a GF with a cheap shit halfback and there aint any $600K match winning X factor halfbacks out there.

Dylbro is more of a running 5/8 who is an unbelievable defender, he's not a game or play controller imo. He can make line breaks and set up tries but he's not a game controller, I just don't think that's part of his game.

With the new salary cap increase I think a $million is the yardstick for a halfback of Mitch's quality.
Who is the game controller at Melbourne? They use two running players. You only need a controller if your game plan is complicated. Otherwise you just need merkins who can execute and play what’s in front of them. One or two merkins who can kick. In any case, managing the game plan is a learned skill.

King-Gutho94

Coach
He may be our most important player but gee Mitch isn't real good at the clutch moments either. He misses important or game winning goals or Field goals when required more often then when he kicks them.

The Manly game at commbank is the only one in the last few years where i feel Mitch has nailed a conversion that needed to be kicked at a crucial stage when the pressure was really on.

Does that decrease his value somewhat.

Avenger

Immortal
He may be our most important player but gee Mitch isn't real good at the clutch moments either. He misses important or game winning goals or Field goals when required more often then when he kicks them.

The Manly game at commbank is the only one in the last few years where i feel Mitch has nailed a conversion that needed to be kicked at a crucial stage when the pressure was really on.

Does that decrease his value somewhat.
Even against the Storm he hit the post and Stone had to save the day whilst tearing his ACL.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Even against the Storm he hit the post and Stone had to save the day whilst tearing his ACL.

From the 7 FGs he has kicked for us only 1 of them was game winning.

The rest have been when been in front by plenty for a cheeky one at the end.

The Tigers game last year should have been nailed. Cleary and DCE would have.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
There’s a part of me that would find it funny if Moses went to the Tigers.

Remember when he signed with Parra and we had lots of lovely Tigers chaps on here wishing us well?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They use two running players.

The Storm are still getting used to life after Cam360 although he was a freak like no other but also played at no 7 when their halves were injured. They will adapt and find a play maker to replace him.

You only need a controller if your game plan is complicated.

disagree and I don't believe its a complicated game

when the game is on the line, you need a classy half who can set up that play or line break or put that grubber through that gets the chocolates

"runners" don't do that

In any case, managing the game plan is a learned skill.

Some game players are instinctive and control games from junior footy, they are naturals and don't need to "learn"

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you're conflating instinct (playing what you see) with game control, which is about maintaining structure (so that not every merkin is trying to play 'eyes up').

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't

I'm just saying some players are instinctive and some need to be "learned" as you call it.

The instinctive ones are the "over a million dollar" ones and the running ones who have to be coached to "learn" (as you call it) are the ones who are valued well under a million and not the ones that will win us a GF, which is what we were originally talking about.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I think the good runners are just as likely to be instinctive, maybe more so. Seeing opportunities is part of what makes them dangerous running players. I don't think anyone naturally knows how to tell a forward to take one more settler to the posts or whatever. It's counterintuitive. Look how many merkins complain when they see it happen.