What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The One & Only "Lets plan next years Tri-Nations&qu

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Okay there are heaps of threads bobbing up discussing next years Tri-Nations and International Calender. Let's keep it all in the one thread. What ideas can you come up with? Here are mine:

-Australia, NZ and GB have to play in a Tri-Nations. Player burnout is an issue so the time spent overseas has to be cut. Here are my proposals.

*Scrap the mid-year test. Too many times the Australian team ambushes their opponents because they are Origin hardened. Also playing an International before Origin dismisses the whole 'Origin is the Kangaroos selection trial'.

*Have the matches involving Australia and NZ play each other at home. After this years series the public is crying out for international footy. I really believe that if marketed and promoted right we could sell-out Suncorp. When was the last international played their?

Here is how I would plan it:

G1: Australia V NZ -Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
G2: New Zealand V Australia -North Harbour Stadium, Auckland
---------------------
While Australia and NZ are battling each other in the southern hemisphere GB should play a two test mini-series against France.
---------------------

G3: New Zealand V Great Britain -MacAlpine Sadium, Huddersfield
G4: New Zeland V Great Britain -KC Stadium, Hull
---------------------
While GB is busy with NZ, Australia plays France.
---------------------

G5: GB V Australia - City Of Manchester Stadium, Manchester
G6: GB V Australia -City of JJb Stadium, Wigan

---------------------
NZ is playing France while Aus face off against GB.
---------------------

Final is played at either Elland Road, City of Manchester Stadium or Old Trafford.

This way France is exposed to all three top sides, while Australia and NZ settle their differences at home.

This is my idea. What's your's? And what do we do with the USA, PNG, Lebanon and Russia. Should they tour? Should they play their own Tri-Nations type series?

yappy

Bench
Four Nations - Four Weeks

wk 1 GB v NZ in England, Aus v France in France
wk 2 GB v France in England, Aus v NZ in say Dublin (with the Wolfhounds v someone else (USA?) as the lead in)
wk 3 GB v Aus in England, France v NZ in France
wk 4 Final

Tidus_Raider

Bench
It's still too early for France to be included. And I dont think playing each other once is the way to go especially considering the profits from the tournament goes towards the developing nations.

Misanthrope

Staff member
God dammit, I changed the title for you this afternoon, but the godforsaken thing has changed on me again. I'll remedy it soon.

t-ba

Post Whore
I reckon Cardiff should get a game, and the Final should be played at the Revamped Wembley.

yappy

Bench
It's still too early for France to be included. And I dont think playing each other once is the way to go especially considering the profits from the tournament goes towards the developing nations.
Disagree. They're going into ESL in 2006 so the timing is about right (maybe one year on the early side, but no biggy)

As for the dough, holding a shortened version has got to make more money than not holding it at all, which is a real danger if the length isn't shortened. Also the total number of games is exactly the same, just that you can now play two per weekend, rather than one. Surely that alone will increase the attractiveness of the competition. It won't drag out and it would hold the media's attention for the whole weekend. Yes the games involving the French will probably not generate as much income, but isn't France one of the countries the development money is supposed to help? Surely giving them top flight football and helping them keep their best before they go to rah-rah is much better support than a few thousand bucks.

The other thing about the play each other once system is that the real big games like Aus v GB and NZ v GB won't be played in 25 000 seaters. They will command the 40 000 stadiums and so probably make as much in one night as the two games at smaller venues did. It'll also make each game so much more important. Imagine if Australia had drawn with NZ and lost to GB in their games and went on to miss the final.

Yes France would probably come in a distant fourth in the first year, but they've got to start somewhere, and frankly as much I enjoyed the USA game it is getting the game in France back on it's feet that is the most important thing to do for international League.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:
I reckon Cardiff should get a game, and the Final should be played at the Revamped Wembley.

Good point considering it is "Great Britian" and not England.

On France. I think for the stature of the tournament the French should be introduced in 2006 and not next year. The Tournament has gained prestige because every game has been close. I still think France should play Australia, New Zealand and GB but not as part of the Tri-Nations.

Does anyone know what nations such as Lebanon, Russia and Usa are doing while the Tri-Nations is going on? If they are available they should be playing each other as soon as much as possible.

At the moment the top tier of teams (GB, Aus, NZ) are pretty competitive. It would be good if the secong tier (France, Lebanon, Russia, USA) become competitive amongnst themselves.

I do believe however that the future of France is in the Tri-Nations and that Lebanon, Russia and USA should have their own Tri-Nations competition. Imagine the rivalry between USA V Russia and so on.

t-ba

Post Whore
As for the dough, holding a shortened version has got to make more money than not holding it at all, which is a real danger if the length isn't shortened

Indeed. I was amazed just how badly the traditional Autumn internationals have been overshadowed by the RL tests...Even the French and US Matches got mroe coverage than some Wallabies matches. We are on to a really good thing with this concept and it has the potential to restore the Kangaroos as Australia's National side of choice.

In-goal

Bench
I posted this some were before but here goes, this is just for the Tri-nations in 2005

Game 1: NZ v Aus Wellington
Game 2: Aus v NZ Brisbane
Game 3: GB v Aus London
Game 4: GB v NZ Hull
Game 5: GB v NZ Wigan
Game 6: GB v Aus Manchester
Final: Leeds

All teams to play France in France on Week off.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
t-ba the hutt said:
As for the dough, holding a shortened version has got to make more money than not holding it at all, which is a real danger if the length isn't shortened

Indeed. I was amazed just how badly the traditional Autumn internationals have been overshadowed by the RL tests...Even the French and US Matches got mroe coverage than some Wallabies matches. We are on to a really good thing with this concept and it has the potential to restore the Kangaroos as Australia's National side of choice.

I thin kthe Telegraph and the various other Media outlets (CH 9 included) realise that League is a bigger draw then Union and therefore have jumoed on the bandwagon. Especially the Telegraph. The amount of covergae the games were getting is great. The only thing I would change is that games not featuring Australia also get decent coverage.

Fluid

Juniors
Tri-Nations:

G1: Australia V New Zealand - Aussie Stadium, Sydney (Possible 25K)

G2: Australia V New Zealand - Westpac Stadium, Wellington (Possible 18K)

G3: Australia V Geat Britain - Dairy Farmers Stadium, Townsville (Possible 25K)

G4: New Zealand V Great Britain - North Harbour Stadium, Auckland (Possible 18K)

G5: Australia V Great Britain - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (Possible 50K)

G6: New Zealand V Great Britain - Ericsson Stadium, Auckland (Possible 20K)

FINAL: Telstra Stadium, Sydney (Possible 50K)

One - offs during, before and after Tri-Nations

ANZAC Test: Australia V New Zealand - Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (Possible 40K)

Australia V France - Cararra Stadium, Gold Coast (Possible 25K)

New Zealand V PNG - North Harbour Stadium, Auckland (Possible 10K)

Australian Invitational Side V Lebanon - Sydney Showground, Sydney (Possible 15K)

simon says

First Grade
I would like to see home and away in all countries.Ie Oz play GB in Oz and England,and Id love to see France in there too,but cant see it happeneing for a while.

Love to see the final of the whole thing at Telstra,I reckon you would get the 80k.....wouldnt that be great.

Cheers/

In-goal

Bench
80K at Telstra for the Tri-nations final now that must be the goal set down for the Tri-nations within 6 years.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
The Wallabies are getting 60K to games against Wales. Shows you what some decent promotion and marketing can do.

I don;t thin kthe Trinations should and will be fully held down under next year. Australia should play NZ here and across the ditch then NZ and Aus should both play GB twice in Britain and France once in France.

Also PNG need to get more than one match a year against the top sides. There national sport is League for crying out loud!!!

Also no-one has suggested an international calender for nations like Lebanon, Russia and USA

griff

Bench
We need to have some quality internationals played in Australia to bring some balance back into international RL.

2000 - RLWC in Britain
2001 - Kangaroo tour in Britain
2002 - Kiwi tour of Britain
2003 - Kangaroo tour in Britain
2004 - Tri-nations in Britain

In 2005 we should have a Lions Tour or a Tri-nations in Aus/NZ. It would cut down the complaints about the long season as well, as the players would be at home.

A tri-nations in the SH would give PNG the chance that France got this year of playing the top nations in their weeks off.

Aus v NZ - Auckland
Aus v GB - Brisbane
GB v NZ - Wellington
Aus v NZ - Melbourne (GB v PNG, Lae)
Aus v GB - Perth (NZ v PNG, Goroka)
GB v NZ - Christchurch (Aus v PNG, Port Moresby)

Final: Sydney (Auckland if Aus don't qualify)

Tidus_Raider

Bench
griff said:
Aus v NZ - Auckland
Aus v GB - Brisbane
GB v NZ - Wellington
Aus v NZ - Melbourne (GB v PNG, Lae)
Aus v GB - Perth (NZ v PNG, Goroka)
GB v NZ - Christchurch (Aus v PNG, Port Moresby)

Final: Sydney (Auckland if Aus don't qualify)

Nice. But it leaves France out of the equation and ATM France are proving to be very competitive. They need more exposure to the elite teams.

I think the reason that so many Internationals are played in Britain is:

a) Tradition. Kangaroos have also toured the Britain. It is part of RL folklore.

b) Internationals also seem to be more closely fought and are alot tighter when played overseas. I think the RLIF realises this and that's why they are hesitant to have the Tri-series in Australia.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
What people fail to realise is France should be included to help them adjust and play tough games for 2008.Probably will get beat but will learn much at the same time!May also help stop players going to Union.

Play ALL games after GF!

New Zealand v Australia Wellington-wouldm get a big crowd
Australia v New Zealand Melbourne-No Aussie rules to go against!
New Zealand v PNG Auckland
Australia v PNG Sydney
France v Australia Perpignan
France v New Zealand Toulouse
France v Great Britain Carcasonne
GB v Australia Cardiff
GB v Australia Manchester
GB v New Zealand Huddersfield
GB v New Zealand Wigan

Final Old Trafford/Anfield/Leeds Elland Road?

Also comp for Japan, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook islands, PNG, Singapore? and New caledonia even if held in Australia with the NRL clubs helping financially as the Broncos have done with Fiji for example.maybe a bit dreaming but why not?

Latest posts