What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The One & Only "Lets plan next years Tri-Nations&qu

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Problem is ARL have shown NO interest.GB have taken the risks and only NZ have shown any interest in the future.Australian fans should be bombarding the ARL and NRL to get games in Australia and support them if not done so already.

griff said:
We need to have some quality internationals played in Australia to bring some balance back into international RL.

2000 - RLWC in Britain
2001 - Kangaroo tour in Britain
2002 - Kiwi tour of Britain
2003 - Kangaroo tour in Britain
2004 - Tri-nations in Britain

In 2005 we should have a Lions Tour or a Tri-nations in Aus/NZ. It would cut down the complaints about the long season as well, as the players would be at home.

A tri-nations in the SH would give PNG the chance that France got this year of playing the top nations in their weeks off.

Aus v NZ - Auckland
Aus v GB - Brisbane
GB v NZ - Wellington
Aus v NZ - Melbourne (GB v PNG, Lae)
Aus v GB - Perth (NZ v PNG, Goroka)
GB v NZ - Christchurch (Aus v PNG, Port Moresby)

Final: Sydney (Auckland if Aus don't qualify)

In-goal

Bench
Alright well i kind of have the impression that the Tri-Nations or majority will be in the UK next year so here is my proposed new setup.

SH
ANZAC Mid season test
Australia v New Zealand Townsville

Tri-Nations
Australia v New Zealand Brisbane
New Zealand v Australia Wellington

NH
Great Brittian v New Zealand Wigan
Great Brittian v Australia Manchester
Great Brittian v New Zealand Hull
Great Brittian v Australia London

Tri-Nations Final to be played at Elland Road/ Old Trafford or City of Manchester.

In-goal

Bench
I think idealy that GB v Australia in London could bring in 40K plus fans thats why i would recomend a larger stadium for this game.

We need to get to the stage were all matches of the Tri-Nations are played before a minnimum crowd of say 30-35,000 fans as this will put revenue through the roof, allowing for development of the game to raise 10 fold.

t-ba

Post Whore
In-goal said:
I think idealy that GB v Australia in London could bring in 40K plus fans thats why i would recomend a larger stadium for this game.

We need to get to the stage were all matches of the Tri-Nations are played before a minnimum crowd of say 30-35,000 fans as this will put revenue through the roof, allowing for development of the game to raise 10 fold.

Indeed. Don't The London Skolars play out of the New River Stadium, which is near the 34,000 seat White Hart Lane?

Ideally, we want an annual london Fixture packing out a stadium the Size of Stamford Bridge. Whether it be a tri-nations, touring SH side or the Frogs.

griff

Bench
Tidus_Raider said:
griff said:
Aus v NZ - Auckland
Aus v GB - Brisbane
GB v NZ - Wellington
Aus v NZ - Melbourne (GB v PNG, Lae)
Aus v GB - Perth (NZ v PNG, Goroka)
GB v NZ - Christchurch (Aus v PNG, Port Moresby)

Final: Sydney (Auckland if Aus don't qualify)

Nice. But it leaves France out of the equation and ATM France are proving to be very competitive. They need more exposure to the elite teams.

But PNG need more exposure to the elite teams as well. France got the opportunity this year, I think PNG deserve the opportunity next year.

Whenever France and PNG have played the results are always very close, so they are on about the same level.

We can't have a viable international scene without Australia ever hosting important matches or GB ever going on a tour.

The current TV deal is holding back internationals in Australia because Nine get the rights to all internationals as part of the deal with the NRL. There is no extra broadcast revenue going to the ARL so it makes it less viable to take the risk in organising matches.

Hopefully the ARL and Nine can sit down and be sensible about it. Nine gives the ARL a little bit more money, the ARL puts on some high-rating matches that would otherwise not take place.

They need to increase the profile of international RL Australia-wide in the lead up to the 2008 World Cup and this is the only real way to do that.

In-goal

Bench
With the TV deal 2007 will be RL greatest ever with the game looking to pocket more than AU$100 million a season across the board, and that my friends is the truth.

The AFL get's AU$100 million and is only shown in Australia, were as Leagu is shown in Australia, New Zealand, PNG, as well as the U.K and others. Surley a sport worth a little more recognistion.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
The problem with London is partly cost-hotel,hire of stadium beer etc,problems with the transport system-U-bahn especially if Arsenal,Tottenham or Chelsea are playing nearby.Also most fans prefer Cardiff and the people of Cardiff are more friendly and more Rugby Friendly and over 15.000 Welsh bought tickets for the Cup Final this year!Also Millenium stadium is within walking distance of the city center and not stuck in the suburbs or on an industrial estate like most London Stadiums!Cardiff has problems-not enough hotels for one but IMO Cardiff is better for neutrals and Fans and is a cheaper better atmoshere than London Stadiums.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Rugby League really needs a bigger profile in London but it's spiritual home is in the north. It's like saying that more league internationals should be played in Melbourne because it is such a large market.

I think that if GB make the final, and it is played in London then it will sell out.

Cardiff makes sense because it is Great Britain and not just England. If Cunningham is there next year and Harris they could use those two players to promote it.

In-goal

Bench
Wembley is only a couple of years away surely that will be the GB home in London, Imagine GB sellouts at Wembley, Cardiff and Old Trafford god that would be the best.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I think the Tri-Nations tournaments from now on will have one game less played in the UK. (Australia and NZ will play each other in the Aus and NZ).

That leaves four matches plus the final that will be staged in GB. I think one game has to be played in Leeds, Manchester and Hull. Plus one game in London. That leaves one game that could be played at Cardiff.

I think all matches involving France should be played in France too. Toulouse, Carcasonne and perpignan are good venues but I would love to see a test match played in Paris.

And In-goal a sold out Suncorp would be just as great a sight as a sold out old-Trafford IMO.

Moffo

Referee
Hmmm...interesting thoughts

PNG should be given a couple of games, but play them in PNG FFS. It'd be huge there, but i dont think it'd be so well received in Australia and probably viewed as a nothing match. Surely on the way to England they could play one???

Australia should try playing GB at Wembley when its rebuilt. Its in London and I think it will be a true litmus test. If not, how about we try Highbury? Arsenal are moving and that would be a spectacular ground within three stations of central London.

2 games a week is a top idea. It'd cut the tourney in half. I'd give France a shot at it, why not? Every comp has its weak link. Cut the small stadiums out, lets give ourselves some credit. Say there are 4 games involving GB, playing NZ twice and Oz twice....ok, so:

1 in London (Wembley on Highbury?)
1 in Manchester (city of Manchester)
1 in Leeds (Elland Road)
1 in Cardiff (why not?)/alternate years one in Murrayfield?

Or maybe one at Anfield in Liverpool (although it may be hard to get the ground)

Aus would probably play NZ once in England. Play it in London, more exposure to the game....heaps of expats in the area. Loftus Road was ok

Whats the history of league in Lyon and Nice? From going through there recently, there are quite large cities and it'd be interesting to see if anything could pick up there....

Australia should play NZ at suncorp and westpac trust. AFTER THE SEASON IS FINISHED. No mid season games, what a waste of time

It'd be great to see GB play Australia at Telstra one day as well. It'd sell out if promoted well

Dogboy

Juniors
Moffo said:
Hmmm...interesting thoughts

Australia should try playing GB at Wembley when its rebuilt. Its in London and I think it will be a true litmus test. If not, how about we try Highbury? Arsenal are moving and that would be a spectacular ground within three stations of central London.

Good thinking, but the field at Highbury would be too small. I'm pretty sure it's less than 100m long, it would be less than 90 if you put in rugby league in goals!

How about the new Arsenal Stadium when it's finished? It's going to be a magnificent facility, close enough to the middle of London and surrounded by tube lines, and at 60 000 maybe a slightly more realistic size for RL in London than the 90 000 seat Wembley.

griff

Bench
Highbury is being turned into houses to pay for the new Ashburton Grove stadium. But Wembley is Wembley. When I was a kid I used to dream of representing Australia in RL at Wembley and I'm sure a lot of the current players are like that too. Also, part of the deal with getting the thing built was that the RFL is committed to staging their high profile events there.

But I'm a bit dissappointed we are talking about having internationals in Great Britain again for the upteenth year in a row. If internationals in GB were rare enough there would be huge pent up demand and we could challenge the capacity on Wembley, Old Trafford and Elland Road like we used to do. Makes much more sense to have the Tri-Nations in Australia next year.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
f**king Hell there are so many big stadiums in London. I thought the new Webley was going to be Arsenal's new home but turns out they are two different stadiums!!! :shock:

I think all matches involving Australia and NZ HAVE to be played in AUS and NZ. Play one at Suncorp and one at Westpac Trust, maybe even Jade stadium. Didn't Wests Tigers get 13k at Jade this year?

I also think GB MUST play France. They are their closest rivals and will give a real indication as to how far France have progressed seeing as I dont think GB will take them very lightly. They would be out to impress.

I think the new Arsenal stadium would be a great venue for League but until it is built how about playing the Final at Old Trafford.

Also if France were to travel to GB for their game against the Lions then a stadium like the KC at Hull would be the perfect venue.

I cant stress enough though that France HAS to play Aus, NZ and GB next year. It MUST happen.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I put this in the other thread but I think it serves a purpose in this one too.

---------------------------------

1. Shorten the league season. If you are so worried about players welfare then take some of the demand off their bodies by reducing the amount of games in the most gruelling RL competition in the world.

2. Play all matches involving Aus and NZ at home and in NZ.

Best scenario IMO:

-Scrap the mid-year test.

Tri-Nations:

Week 1: G1- Aus V NZ (GB V France)
Week 2: G2- NZ V Aus (France V GB)
Week 3: G3-GB V Aus (France V NZ)
Week 4: G4-GB V NZ (France V Aus)
Week 5: G5-GB V NZ (Aus BYE)
Week 6: G6-GB V Aus (NZ BYE)
Week 7: FINAL

Make the Liberty Bell Cup a Biannual thing.

*This reduces the amount of time spent overseas fom 7 weeks to a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 5.

*France plays a two test series against GB as a lead up to the Tri-Nations.
-GB gets match practice before the Tri-Nations starts.
-France begins it's fierce rivalry with it's northen hemisphere neighbours.
-Franc also play the Kangaroos and Kiwi's once.

bartman

Immortal
Also something I posted elsewhere, but should be in here too:

- - - - -
They seem to be talking about the Tri Nations in terms of it as being too long a tour. Well for GB this time it was just five weeks from go to woe, not eight.

So to get NRL club execs behind it for 2005, you might have to promise something similar - five weeks and it's done.

For example, NZ play Aus after the NRL GF, GB fly out here after the ESL grand final and play NZ and Aus once each (a two week "tour" for them). Then they all fly over to the UK (one week for travel), NZ and Aus play each other in London, then each play GB once up north (three weeks on "tour"). And then a final for two most successful sides.

Essentially the same as this year, but getting GB to come away and sepnd two weeks down under. You could still have games against France (on Aus and NZ's "off weekend" while in GB), just like you could have games against PNG or pacific islanders (on Aus and NZ "off weekends" while GB are down, or GB stay an extra week while Aus and NZ play game in London).

I know the NRL clubs are worried about injuries and burn-out to their investments, but if you shorten the "tour" side of it, then at least it kills one of the anti-Tri Nations execs' pet excuses.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I dont like the idea of GB touring. At least not just yet. They play their best at home and I think after 2006 then the example you came up with Bartman may well be the way to go.

For the moment though I would like to see Aus play NZ in at Brisbane and Wellington/Christchurch and then have them fly over to England.

I'm a big believer that GB should have a two-match series with France while this is taking place down under.

In-goal

Bench
home come the Brittish aren't up in arms about how many matches they have to play, the SL goes for 28 weeks no byes then 4 weeks of Finals. All that aswell as CC fixtures which could be upto another 5 games, The Brittish were then asked to play 5 tests in 5 weeks no rest surley they were the ones on the rough end of the stick.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
In-goal said:
home come the Brittish aren't up in arms about how many matches they have to play, the SL goes for 28 weeks no byes then 4 weeks of Finals. All that aswell as CC fixtures which could be upto another 5 games, The Brittish were then asked to play 5 tests in 5 weeks no rest surley they were the ones on the rough end of the stick.

Exactly. And most British players are on more money then the aussies as well.

I think that the CEO's in Australia are just being short-sighted and narrow minded by trying to protect their own interests.

BTW don't the brits have a State of Origin series too?

Latest posts