What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Pool Stages are over.

newman

First Grade
The utterly disappointing:

Wales, Tonga and PNG.

Before the tournament all of these sides would have been confident that they stood a good chance of advancing from their groups but were pretty much hopeless. Wales being the most disappointing considering that they played a few at home. Shithouse really.

The noteworthy non qualifiers:

Ireland, the Cooks and Italy.

Italy performed admirably in their first World Cup and the Cooks were competitive with a no frills squad. Ireland would still be cursing their luck after being given the worst draw in the comp by far for a minnow, yet fought hard all the way.

Lucky to be there:

USA and France.

While the USA are the feel good hit of the summer geez their draw was friendly. Their loss to Scotland probably shows where they are and they would likely get beaten by Tonga and Italy, who both missed out. The quarter against Australia is a real worry for the tournaments credibility.
France scored 2 tries all tournament despite playing at home, have lost 2 games convincingly and should have been beaten by PNG if Mead wasn't such a spastic.

The question mark:

Fiji.

The Bati Boys are hard to get a gauge on. They look to be playing some quality footy but the results stand at one win and two losses, albeit against quality opposition. Their QF against Samoa is the game of the round with the winner going on to play Australia, and they will be buoyant.

Impressive:

Samoa and Scotland.

Scotland really showed the value of having a hard working forward pack and quality halves coupled with a disciplined game plan. Samoa have grown in to the tournament and look to be playing very well with some genuinely exciting players.

The Contenders:

England: Still behind NZ and Australia for mine. Improving and growing into some form at the right time (the loss to Italy seems months ago). Many predicted Fiji could potentially roll them but that 2nd half was seriously impressive and if they can play like that with consistency, who knows? If they can stay disciplined and get Tomkins, Hall etc a bit of ball on the back of go forward they will fancy their chances. France should pose no problems for them and they will then have to likely play an early final against the Kiwis. Anyone who isn't a New Zealander should be behind them because being in the final would be absolutely classic for the tournament.

Australia: On paper not as dominant as previous Kangaroos squads and as a result don't seem to have clicked into gear yet; but despite this have won their 3 matches with relative ease and haven't conceded a point in 2 outings. Will go into the Semis seemingly underdone with games against Ireland and the USA hardly going to shock them into form. Semi against the winner of Fiji Samoa. Will likely be finalists but I reckon they are as ripe for the pickings as they ever will be.

NZ: Are averaging 48 points per match and are playing dominant, exciting footy. They have a strong, balanced squad that is playing well together. Their only worry is leaking tries against Samoa. They should account for Scotland and face England in a Semi, which will be like a final. Their poor previous form against the Poms and the hostile environment will be a worry. I would have them as favourites if they were on the other side of the draw.

So far it has been a great tournament and exceeded every reasonable expectation. Plenty of exciting, even matches, picking a winner hasn't been as easy as you would have estimated and we haven't even seen a real blow out yet. Well done to the English and French fans who have got out in some poor weather to breathe life into the tournament. The enthusiasm of Vossy and Halligan has also really kicked the experience up a gear for someone who is watching from the other side of the world. Geez if we get sell outs for the Semi and Final, as we are predicted to, this will be some kind of result.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
Great summation.

I agree that the Aussies have a soft run ahead of them to the final and may be a little underdone. They faced a similar situation in 08 and it didn't exactly help.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't think Tonga deserve that review, they won two matches and would have gone through if it wasn't for the poor first half against a good Scotland team. The draw really didn't favor teams in Group C, hopefully this will be rectified next time.

newman

First Grade
I don't think Tonga deserve that review, they won two matches and would have gone through if it wasn't for the poor first half against a good Scotland team. The draw really didn't favor teams in Group C, hopefully this will be rectified next time.

They should've beaten Scotland by 2 or 3 tries even with the poor first half. They knew they were in a tough group, and probably had to win all 3 games. If I was their coach I would be very disappointed.

hutch

First Grade
Pretty good summary there! This has been the best World Cup by a long way and the shot in the arm our sport needed internationally and in the uk!

Valheru

Coach
Great summation.

I agree that the Aussies have a soft run ahead of them to the final and may be a little underdone. They faced a similar situation in 08 and it didn't exactly help.

It?s hard not to have a soft run when there are only 3 decent side in a 14 team competition...

The RLWC has been ok for what it is, the best parts being the entertaining games between minnows. If we are serious with ourselves though we all know it has a long way to go to be taken seriously. 4 groups of 4 would be a start with 2 teams each qualifying for the quarters. Having ?super groups? to avoid 150-0 floggings does nothing more than diminish the integrity of the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is the fourth proper RLWC tournament I have seen and by far the best. Looking forward to the knock out phases now.

Australia: On paper not as dominant as previous Kangaroos squads and as a result don't seem to have clicked into gear yet; but despite this have won their 3 matches with relative ease and haven't conceded a point in 2 outings.

Are you sure? They were behind in their first 2 games.

Joker's Wild

Coach
True, Fiji kicked a penalty goal early on in their match with Australia

Would have been more accurate to say the Kangaroos have not had a try scored against them in their last 2 matches

Puntastic

Juniors
On paper (don't you just love that term) I thought that Tonga had the strongest side outside the big 3. Their first game against Scotland was disappointing, and even though they won the remaining two I didn't think they were really as good as they should have been. Fish was channelling Carige though.

Agree Italy and Scotland were both very good, hopefully the pools are a little more spread out in the future. Fiji's backline was electric when they were on too.

I struggle to blame PNG; they had a much better side in 2008 and no Segeyaro. The Cooks were somewhat of a mixed bag also. The luck of the Irish is apparently a myth.

Samoa and USA both played above expectations and should be commended.

France and Wales were both disappointing.

I'd still be tipping Aus to win the cup, but NZ have certainly played tougher matches and they might be more finely tuned if they face off in the end. Australia might struggle under a pressure test.

RedVee

First Grade
Pretty good summation, though I'd have the Irish in the utterly disappointing group. Their domestic scene has gone backwards over the last couple of years and their RLWC performances also. I realise they were in a bad group but I was really disappointed in 'my second team'.

I am really looking forward the the Fiji Samoa game, and attending a game in Perpignan is now on my bucket list.

Tone83

Juniors
Reads a bit like a form guide, are you a betting man newman?

Fiji vs samoa is shaping up to be an absolute belter and possibly the game of the tournament.

Diesel

Referee
I'd be interested to see if Somoa advance, they take it to the Roos like they did to NZ.

Fiji have more points in them but Samoa have the physicality to match most sides, definitely the match of the round coming up

Puntastic

Juniors
Agree with others, Fiji v Samoa looks like being a cracker.

This tournament has just provided some quality impartial viewing, hasn't it?

Latest posts