What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The real full-strength New Zealand starting line-up

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Leading up to the tri-series there was, as usual, plenty of discussion about the ideal NZ team if everyone was fit. This discussion has become very popular because of the fact that so many big name NZ players always end up being unavailable for internationals. It's an interesting theoretical and it would be great if one day it actually came close to happening.

Nevertheless, a New Zealand team missing a host of so-called "first choice" players has just beaten Australia 24-0. For the record

Webb
Webster
Whatuira
Toopi
Vatuvei
Vagana
Jones
Wiki
Tony
Rauhihi
Anderson
Kidwell
Hape

Asotasi
Faiumu
Solomona
Lauiti'iti

Does NOT look very strong to me on paper. It's easy to now say, in retrospect, that it's a great side, but I just don't think it is. The backline is ok, but the forward pack looks pretty ordinary. Tony is a makeshift hooker, Rauhihi imo has looked past his prime all-season, and the backrow is one of the most uninspiring I have ever seen play for the Kiwis. Picking Hape at lock obviously looks like a great decision now, but I think you have to say that McClennan was lucky to have gotten such a great performance out of Shontayne. I really still think that it was a pretty bizarre and inexplicable move to leave out backrowers like Puletua and Pritchard (especially Puletua), and play a guy at lock who has never, in my recollection, played in the forwards.

The strongest part of the team on paper, imo, is the bench. Solomona and Lauiti'iti provide the attacking thrust that is sorely lacking in the starting backrow, yet neither of them even got on the field until the second half. There seems to be a consensus that Kiwi fans were actually nervous about them coming on. We all preferred the solid, rather more one-dimensional play of Anderson/Kidwell/Hape.

You certainly couldn't say that the Kiwis prospered through amazing individual talent or razzle dazzle. It was the ultimate grinding win. I think the selection of Hape goes to show what McClennan was thinking. Hape is about 100kg (as opposed to Lauiti'iti/Puletua who are 110kg+) and he is agile and fit. The same applies for Anderson and Kidwell. Obviously this is the prototype McClennan backrower.

Having rambled this far, I guess what I'm saying is- what does the Kiwi victory prove?

Was it simply the triumph of a collective effort, combined with some pretty visionary coaching? Did McClennan simply come up with the perfect one-off game plan, that allowed lesser individuals to achieve a greater overall result?

Or have some individuals proven themselves to be better than we all thought?

Which of these heroic players would force themselves into a "full-strength" Kiwi side on the back of their efforts?

It's funny how within 2 months of the West Tigers bringing attacking flair back into fashion, the Kiwis have claimed rugby league supremacy with a pretty simple, defensively orientated, forward orientated gameplan....

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't think there's a mile of difference between what the tigers did and what the kiwis did in the final actually. Both sides used a comparatively small, no-frills back row with a high workrate and scrambled/swarmed well in defence. The Kiwis combined this with effective but conventional front-row play, as did the Tigers.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah, that's true. I guess imo there was a subtle difference, guys like Anderson and Kidwell are a bit more robust and hard-hitting than some of the Tigers forwards. Anyway, the Tigers forwards imo were pretty much just there to be functional, with the brilliance of Marshall/Prince/Hodgson getting them over the line. The Kiwi forwards were the key to the victory and I definitely think it was a performance based on defence.

ozbash

Referee
we were missing,
hohaia
benji
sbw
koopu
gulavao
utai
vainakolo
vaealiki
beetham
seuseu
meli
henry faafili
paul
mannering
chan
cayless bros
thomas lulueai
ropati

some would not be considered but i bet the majority were.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Hand off it mate, SeuSeu, Galuvao, Chan, Faafili, Meli, Paul and Koopu were all fit and ready to go, and I think Ropati and Betham were too.

Kiwi's love adding names to that list any way they can.

Iafeta

Referee
In hindsight, the Shontayne Hape move to me made the world of sense. I only wish the Warriors had have done the same with the likes of Vince Mellars/Vince Anderson, big guys who could tackle, and quite mobile, but certainly not speed merchants out wide.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
Hand off it mate, SeuSeu, Galuvao, Chan, Faafili, Meli, Paul and Koopu were all fit and ready to go, and I think Ropati and Betham were too.

Kiwi's love adding names to that list any way they can.

Ropati wasn't, he would've been in the mix for sure with our problems at 6.

imo New Zealand won this final with a gameplan that worked to perfection on the night, but I doubt that the same group of players could do the same thing again consistently against a really on-song Australia. imo if we ever did get Benji/SBW/Utai etc together in the same team, we would be quite capable of playing a more expansive game and playing them off the park. This win was a great triumph for team spirit and coaching, but not a formula for how to beat Australia.

How could you forget Dene Halatau? He would have been a definite in the team. Quick, tackles well, high work-rate. The kind of thing McClennan would want!

Iafeta

Referee
How could Fui be alligned to Australia?

He's been in Australia since what, 2003? Previously with the Warriors.

JK

Thierry Henry said:
Ropati wasn't, he would've been in the mix for sure with our problems at 6.

In the end you had the best #6 of the comp but next year, barring more GB and Aus injuries, you will need better.

Latest posts