What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why the Bulldogs mauled the Roosters!

The Adrian Rovere Report on this site!!

Adrian's regular dribble on radio is a bit like listening to nails run down a blackboard. Then he repeats his dribble regularly on this site with his poisen pen articles. Here is an extract of his latest report.....

DOG OF A YEAR ALREADY
I fear for Canterbury and its army of supporters of which I am one of.
As much as I hate to say it, I honestly believe - even after just two rounds of the competition - that it's crises time for the Bulldogs.
I admire the club enormously and what they did in 2009 was truly inspirational however, regrettably season 2010 is shaping as a year to forget for the famous blue and whites.
Now before I get accused of suffering from a severe case of "premature evaluation", hear me out.
The club lost impact forward Greg Eastwood and points-scoring machine Hazem El Masri from last year's team, have long term injuries to Michael Hodgson, Mickey Paea, Dene Halatau and Corey Payne, the latter season-ending, have turned in two inept performances and will be without the suspended Gary Warburton for three weeks.
Even more worrying is the team's overall form slump, in particular that of captain Andrew Ryan, Kiwi international Ben Roberts and boom centre Jamal Idris.
All that coupled with the unrest caused by star prop Ben Hannant wanting to return home to Queensland, is a recipe for disaster that has left a sour taste in my mouth - one that no amount of Listerine is going to rid.
But wait there's more - and we are not talking a set of steak knives - although such utensils could be out for coach Kevin Moore if he is unable to remedy the team's deficiencies, most notably an inability to challenge the defence.
For the life of me I cannot remember the last time Canterbury produced a sweeping backline movement and second phase play amongst the forwards is virtually non-existent.
If the Bulldogs fail to correct both these areas of play, then I cannot see anything other than a Roosters victory by 20 to 30 points - possibly more.

ByRd

First Grade
lol 2 weeks and people were having heart attacks. Yeh, we started the year terribly but we were always going to get back on track.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Dogs smashed the Roosters because the early rounds don't matter. Honestly, they don't mean a thing. As long as you make the 8 you're a chance and halfway through the season just about anybody is able to make the 8.

The Roosters have been going hard for 3 weeks. This week they took a week off.

This is why all the ex-players and coaches say the season is too long; because the early rounds are nothing games.

smacky

Juniors
They are hardly nothing games. Those extra 2 or 4 points can be the difference between getting into the top 4 and missing the 8

RockWheel

Bench
The Dogs smashed the Roosters because the early rounds don't matter. Honestly, they don't mean a thing. As long as you make the 8 you're a chance and halfway through the season just about anybody is able to make the 8.

The Roosters have been going hard for 3 weeks. This week they took a week off.

This is why all the ex-players and coaches say the season is too long; because the early rounds are nothing games.

2 points now is worth the same as 2 points in August.

Cammo

Bench
2 points now is worth the same as 2 points in August.

Exactly, and good performances now can get teams on a roll through the middle part of the season. If you can get wins up early and book a place in the top 8 well before the last part of the season you stand in good stead for the finals.

Last year was the only year we saw team #8 do anything major in the semis and that was just due to an Eels team that finally got it's act together. This was an anomoly tho and almost always the main contenders for the title will come from the Top 4. Even the premiers still won last year from the top 4

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There's a reason they say grand finals aren't won in October. It's because no team can keep their intensity up all year.

RockWheel

Bench
Did it help them in the finals?

So would you rather finish 7th or 8th than 1st or 2nd? There's a reason why 8th normally doesn't go far in the finals - it's because they're pretty ordinary teams. You can't always expect 8th place to be running into the finals on the back of 2 months of great form.

Loudstrat

Coach
There's a reason they say grand finals aren't won in October. It's because no team can keep their intensity up all year.

Melbourne did from 06-08

And the reason they say grand finals aren;t won in October is because they are A league people talking about March.

Last year, even in round 1 of the finals hardly anyone were picking Melbourne or Parra for grand finalists.

There are 4 stages of the comp.
1) Make the finals
2) Make the preliminary final
3) Make the grand final
4) Win it.

Look with all due respect let this be a tribute thread to Adrian Rovere!

He has form.

He bagged Michael Clarke for years.

Result? One of our most successful cricketers and only last week scored his highest score in Test Match cricket.

This week he virtually consigned the Bulldogs to the wooden spoon and predicted a massive flogging to the Roosters.

Result Doggies 60 - Chooks 14.

I think he's amazing.....so does he.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So would you rather finish 7th or 8th than 1st or 2nd?

"Rather" has nothing to do with it.

You want to win every game but you're never going to; you'd like to play at full intensity every week but it's impossible.

There's a reason why 8th normally doesn't go far in the finals - it's because they're pretty ordinary teams. You can't always expect 8th place to be running into the finals on the back of 2 months of great form.

If you're good enough to win the comp you'll make the finals despite poor early-season form. And if you're good enough to win the comp you'll do it from 8th place.

Melbourne has a better team than anyone - for the 5th year in a row. Their intensity is way down and they're still grinding out wins. They'll win the comp again regardless of how many games they lose in the first half season.

Melbourne did from 06-08

And the reason they say grand finals aren;t won in October is because they are A league people talking about March.

Last year, even in round 1 of the finals hardly anyone were picking Melbourne or Parra for grand finalists.

There are 4 stages of the comp. (8 actually)
1) (Pre Season) Get unlimited funding and cheat the salary cap
1b) (Preliminary matches) Master illegal tactics to slow the play the ball down, grapple tackles etc.
1c) Make the finals
1d) Visit David Gallop's office.
2) Make the preliminary final
3) Make the grand final
3a) Visit the referees boss.
4) Win it.

I have added a few stages that you have missed.

They are actually very crucial to the end result.