What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why the Bulldogs mauled the Roosters!

Jason Maher

Immortal
So Poupou, ye of the "St. George-Illawarra can't win the GF because they have no gamebreakers" opinion: care to re-evaluate that opinion, or do you think the Roosters are certs?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
or do you think the Roosters are certs?

Yeah I do mate. With Pearce and Carney in the halves, and Anasta able to slot in to cover for injury, the Dragons are no chance.

With any luck the Roosters will have to let one of them go when other clubs come sniffing around with million dollar a year deals. After winning the premiership and the Dally M Medal, Carney will demand an upgrade, as will Pearce after winning the premiership and playing Origin in the same year.

One or both will get stroppy next year and the Chooks will have to decide who to keep. Whoever leaves will probably end up replacing Lockyer at the Broncos in 2012.

Anyway, as for this year, it's a shame because I think the Dragons deserve to win it - they've been the best team in the comp 2 years in a row - but as we've seen time and time again, deserve's got nothing to do with it.

pantherz9103

First Grade
History says Roosters can't win the comp because they let in 60 points and there is this 'rule' that noone has let in 50+ in a season and gone on to win the comp.
Well if they win on Sunday they will win the comp and many people are tipping them. I'm tipping the Dragons but not with supreme confidence. In all honesty this 'rule' is just another record there to be broken.

Still what does it say about the game today that team's can concede 60 points in a game and still go on and make a gf, even win the gf possibly? Defence is piss weak these days compared to the old days. Anyone can get belted on an off day. Defence is optional it appears. This is why the Dragons deserve to win the comp as defence isn't optional for them, they turn up every week to defend for their lives. I'm tipping the Dragons to defend their way to victory on Sunday and maybe even run away with the game late.

RWB

Bench
I think Gould summed it up when he said the Roosters really didn't come of age until after the first 3 months of the comp, I mean compare our defence now over the past 2 months and it's up there with the Dragons in fact there was some stat floating around that showed we had it over them.

So what does that say about he comp? Probably more the fact that the salary cap doesn't allow for dominant teams, not that the defence in the Grand Final will be of a low standard.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So what does that say about he comp?

It says the season's too long. That's all. A team can be world-beaters early and still miss the 8. Another team can suck arse early and be premiers. What's the point of the early rounds then?

Revenue.

With a shorter season there'd be less money coming in, meaning the players would be paid less. Nobody wants that.

dice

Juniors
Still what does it say about the game today that team's can concede 60 points in a game and still go on and make a gf, even win the gf possibly? Defence is piss weak these days compared to the old days. Anyone can get belted on an off day. Defence is optional it appears. This is why the Dragons deserve to win the comp as defence isn't optional for them, they turn up every week to defend for their lives. I'm tipping the Dragons to defend their way to victory on Sunday and maybe even run away with the game late.

Strongly disagree. Teams like Roosters and Tigers try to win games. Saints wait for the opposition to lose games. Hardly championship qualities.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Strongly disagree. Teams like Roosters and Tigers try to win games. Saints wait for the opposition to lose games. Hardly championship qualities.

Fair point, but it's not the Dragons' fault. The problem is the rules; the rules of the game have always punished expansive play by making it high-risk. Boring teams are therefore rewarded with compounding increases in possession.

A rule change such as allowing knock-ons to be recovered by the player making the knock-on (and play on) would encourage more offloads and flat passing at the line. This would in turn promote more end-to-end play.

Obviously the purists would turn in their graves at this kind of thing, which is the problem of tradition for tradition's sake.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fair point, but it's not the Dragons' fault. The problem is the rules; the rules of the game have always punished expansive play by making it high-risk. Boring teams are therefore rewarded with compounding increases in possession.

A rule change such as allowing knock-ons to be recovered by the player making the knock-on (and play on) would encourage more offloads and flat passing at the line. This would in turn promote more end-to-end play.

Obviously the purists would turn in their graves at this kind of thing, which is the problem of tradition for tradition's sake.

:crazy:

Gaba

First Grade
:lol:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Gaba finds that 'attacking' teams like the Roosters and the Tigers are more predictable and boring than the Dragons.. who are in fact not predictable but are entertaining - true story.

Gaba

First Grade
Gaba finds that 'attacking' teams like the Roosters and the Tigers are more predictable and boring than the Dragons.. who are in fact not predictable but are entertaining - true story.
2 games dragons played roosters and tigers

Roosters ave 9 vs dragons : dragons ave 23.5

Tigers ave 11 vs dragons :dragons ave 28.5

Those stats shows attack from the roosters particular seems predictable to me

Last edited: