What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE RED V NOSTALGIA THREAD

jeffdragon

Bench
Remember skull in the sheridan stand at scg every Saturday we were playing what an atmosphere and experience
After the game in the late 80s on Carlton station most of the young kids would listen to him ranting about Eddie Fraud and Graham Annusley as he used to call them.
Also Greg Mccallum.
He would say he'd suplex them off the top turn buckle as le loved wrestling and would commentate on wrestling.at clubs that hold events in Sydney.

Dragon Slayers??
When I first started following the Red V, wondered why are they were called the Dragons when the club insignia showed the Knight St George slaying the Dragon beast. Discovering the original nick name after all these years has now answered my question...
I'd love to see us revive the old badge. It adorned my first jerseys (#5 in honour of Geoff Carr for some reason and #8 for Rocket) and I still buy them off eBay and stitch them onto beanies and stuff cos I prefer that to the modern merchandising.

Trifili13

Juniors
Arrived 1 Friday night late at Jubilee with a mate who follows the Rooster's for a Dragon's vs Warrior's game and Greg Alexander was playing for Warrior's. We decided to watch the game from the outside with Skull. As an example of the type of person Skull was I still remember him screaming to Alexander that he should also have been in the car that his brother was in and killed.

Dragon David

First Grade
Arrived 1 Friday night late at Jubilee with a mate who follows the Rooster's for a Dragon's vs Warrior's game and Greg Alexander was playing for Warrior's. We decided to watch the game from the outside with Skull. As an example of the type of person Skull was I still remember him screaming to Alexander that he should also have been in the car that his brother was in and killed.
It's no wonder that Alexander dislikes us if he had heard what was yelled out by the Skull. I would have been really upset over that. That would have been well and truly beyond a joke.

Old Timer

Coach
It's no wonder that Alexander dislikes us if he had heard what was yelled out by the Skull. I would have been really upset over that. That would have been well and truly beyond a joke.
Not too mention Steve Linnane testing his eyes to see (sorry for the pun) if had glaucoma.

Skull was a complete nutter he once ran against Gough in the seat of Werriwa and his platform was he would burn babies with any abnormalities.

blue bags

First Grade
Before the start of the 1921 season, trial matches were played at Sans Souci and training took place at the Drill Hall in Arncliffe with actual games played at Hurstville Oval.
In 1925 the club started using Earl Park at Arncliffe as its headquarters and home ground and remained there until the end of the 1939 season.
In 1933 St George sneaked into the semis in fourth place and won their way into the final against minor premiers Newtown before losing 18–5.
That same year they won the first night competition conducted by the
NSWRL, a six-club competition played on three Saturday nights at the Sydney Showground.
The first ever footage of our great club in action.

Two years later an emerging Dragon Slayers, as they were then known, made league history when they annihilated Canterbury-Bankstown 91–6, the biggest win in their history and still the biggest winning margin ever.
In 1937 for the fourth time in the club's short history, they finished as competition runners-up. Their inaugural premiership had still not been achieved when at the end of the decade, following the 1939 season, the club moved its home ground back to Hurstville Oval.
Former Mayor of Sydney, Jack Mostyn became President of the club in 1937 and retained the role for the next eight years.

The long wait for the club's first premiership finally ended in 1941 when they defeated Eastern Suburbs 31–14 at the SCG. They were captain-coached by Neville Smith while brothers Jack and Herb Gilbert Jr., the sons of the club's first captain-coach Herb Gilbert both played in the match.
In 1945 the club adopted the iconic Red V on white jumper.
A year later, Saints captained by Herb Narvo and starring the backline brothers Jack and Ray Lindwall were runners up again losing to Balmain 12–13. Shortly after Ray Lindwall would take the new ball for Australia in Test cricket. Quite an elite sportsman was Ray.

The St George Football Club came of age in the 1950s when a move from Hurstville Oval to Kogarah Oval saw the RedV take on Souths before a crowd of 12,500 fans in their inaugural match at the ground. Due to its close proximity to Kogarah Oval, the Carlton Hotel became the local watering hole for the players after training.

In 1953 the first St George Leagues Club was built on the corner of Princes Highway & Rocky Point Road and was to become the scene of many victory celebrations over the next decade as premiership after premiership were added to the club resume.
View attachment 93867
I love the street sign
Wollongong left
Sydney Right

blue bags

First Grade
Why was he banned?
Apparently ran into the field
And tackled a North Sydney Bear's player
And stopped him from scoring
Scoreboard end. But grandstand corner
That corner he and his group would always hangout There.
When banned from ground
He would always hang around the same corner
But on the outside. Would climb the trees
And yell out stuff

blue bags

First Grade
Yes jd that evidently was the case as the St George demographic had changed and there were now fewer kids playing league. Still our junior league has been able to survive to this day, so I question was the merger vital or even necessary.
I feel it was necessary

blue bags

First Grade
Dragon Slayers??
When I first started following the Red V, wondered why are they were called the Dragons when the club insignia showed the Knight St George slaying the Dragon beast. Discovering the original nick name after all these years has now answered my question...
Yes known as the Dragon Slayer's
And some called them the Red n Whites
And the Illawarra club

Latest posts