What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The referee was a joke

I usually don't like to take the approach that a referee cost us a game, but f**k me Steve Lyons was awful.

In the first half there were several high tackles against us, and he warned Monty Betham that next time he'd send someone off. So there was a next time, but Seu Seu a repeat offender, did another high tackle... and took no action. Grow some balls son.

And then with 7 minutes to go, he did cost us the game. Gafa was playing the ball, the Warriors bloke was all over him and pushed him back, and the referee ruled a knock on (the ball never went forward, it was just a sloppy play the ball which the Warriors caused). From the ensuing scrum, the Warriors scored the match winning try.

f**k!

lolesi

First Grade
I can not believe some of those calls, Raiders you have every right to feel hard done by, what a disgrace.

Anonymous

Juniors
He was awful. Admittantly the calls went both ways, but none led to points for us. They led to the matchwinning try for them.

The spear on Joel tipified it for me. He didn't even penalise the right player FFS!

What a joke.

Mal Meninga

Bench
How many head high warnings does one team need before a ref takes real action?
But in saying that, we should've just put the game away. Some of our decision's were just as disgraceful as Lyon's, such as the following:

*Brad Drew's left footed kick - Top stuff mate, it went about 20 metres with a gale force behind your back.
*Toots kick - Well the game was pretty much over but really from an experienced campaigner, what are you doing?
*Boogas' take 2 - Onya.
*Kahler's kick on the 1st - Maybe with his size he's looked at as a long term 5/8? If not, do not kick on the firsts, albeit a VERY late call.

I thought the fox commentary by the bloody kiwis was just as bad as lyons reffing if you can call it that, the warriors were working the tackles all afternoon and werent penalised, the raiders cop it for even the slightest bit, and that spear tackle was shocking, if Hodges tackle warranted a send off so did that, bloody disgraceful performance by lyons.

That being said, we didnt do enough in the end to win it, we might have scooted down the sideline had bulgarelli not dropped the goddamn ball again against the warriors.

lolesi

First Grade
What about gafa, first he gets a cheap swinging arm for SeuSeu then Betham push's him over when playing the ball and the ref calls a knock on!
What a joke.

Anonymous

Juniors
Yeah the commentators were awful.

Did anyone else notice that whenever the Warriors did anything (like take a drink from a water bottle, stand still, etc.) they'd show a replay of it during our set of six?

And I'm still seething over our and Lyons performance.

raider_at_heart

Juniors
Yeah that game hurt. why can't football go for 60 mins?
I hate this sh*t!!! :twisted: :twisted:
why couldnt we finish them off?
How Steve Lyons could call that a knock on is a f*cking disgrace.
This reminds me of 2001.
last year we won the close games but 2001 we lost so many close games.

What about when they were infront from the kickoff, and the commentators said "Gee, I wish the players knew when they were going to penalise for it."

YOU WANKER! They were infront of the kicker!

Then Halligan said "I've got one word, that's just stupidity to do it infront of the referee."

Er... Darryl, that was like 10...

Mal Meninga

Bench
I don't know what's worse from commentary, eiether trying to justify all the high shots and foul play the warriors were commiting, or hearing about Matty Bowen being inducted as the next immortal.

ThrashViking

Juniors
If you think one game of Costigan/Halligan/Ropati's is bad try listening to them for twenty four games a year (excluding if NZ makes the finals and internationals) :(

legend

Coach
This season is far worse than 2001. In 2001 we didn't have a powerful forward pack, we didn't have big fast backs, we had Finch so we had everything against us but if memory serves me correctly, we beat Parra, Brisbane, Roosters and the Dogs but this year we haven't even come close to the top sides. We lost by 20 to the Roosters, 18 to the Panthers and 14 to the Broncos.

And now we are losing to the side coming last.

Game over and unless there are drastic changes in the way we play and personnel, we are a club with a bleak future. All our top prospects will be pciked up by other clubs and we'll be left with Bulgarelli and Drew.

Again, a big f**k you to Matt Elliott. I suppose we couldn't expect much, he was understudy to Brian Smith.

Edwahu

Bench
I agree. This season is turning out to be worse then 2001 because we are capable of so much more. 2001 was a shit side that went shit. We were so close to been a great side last season :(

At least Mal eventually dropped Woolfgram.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Let's not go overboard. Alright, it was extremely dissapointing the way we lost, but the Warriors didn't play too badly. Stacey Jones had a great game in the 7 and the Warriors forwards went well.

Meth

Staff member
Yep, its all the refs' fault

But then again, it always is :roll:

Warriors played well, and with intensity. Raiders didn't match it, and lost. Thank you boys :mrgreen:

azza

Juniors
Go and get your head read if you think the Warriors played well. They have massive issues, today only confirmed that. They just played an even sh*tter raiders outfit and so managed to snag one when they were trailing with 10 to go.

Latest posts