What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Roosters main rivals for 2004

JJ

Immortal
Expert.... pretty much everyone's cowds rise when they are playing well, and fall when they are doing badly (check out Warriors crowds). The better teams will always boost away gates too. I'm sure that a certain proportion of every team's fans are "fickle". Obviously Brisbane, Auckland and Newcastle have the advantage of no competition, but as has been seen with Auckland if the team playes poorly, a large chunk of the crowd find something else to do on the weekend.

As I said above, the "average" (mean) crowd size does not indicate whether a fan-base is fickle or not. What would, is the variation (standard deviation) away from the average.

I suspect that Roosters fans are no more or less fickle than others. But that the increased crowds have been noticeable in recent years as they have gone from being an ordinary side to one of the best in the comp. Again, the same could easily be said of Auckland and Penrith.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
JJ said:
Obviously Brisbane, Auckland and Newcastle have the advantage of no competition, but as has been seen with Auckland if the team playes poorly, a large chunk of the crowd find something else to do on the weekend.
Not exactly true about lack of competition in Auckland. You need to remember that in NZ most fans follow both rugby codes, so the Warriors compete with both the Blues and the Auckland NPC side for the fans $$. I will agree with you though that Auckland crowds are very fickle, in 2001 the Warriors crowd would vary from the 7000 diehards who showed up to every game to over 20K in the last game of the season when we were finals bound. However I think the crowds will be a bit more consistent tis year as the casual fans will have seen the side win a few times no and won't be so easily put off by the odd loss.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Crowd averages is always an interesting topic and going on the statistics that was provided above doesn't give us a proper overall judgement on them. There are too many fors and againsts for it to stand up as a legite argument in a debate.

Personally, in my opinion, i think it has a lot do on the marketing of the game by the NRL and the individual clubs. Of course your team winning is going to be an incentive but there needs to be other incentives, as to what these should be, i am not a marketing guru so therefore i have no idea.

The NRL's marketing last season paid off and you saw more people coming to games. They need to keep that standard up. So far crowd averages have been crawling back up since the `Super League' days and the introduction of `Cable' TV. They also need to keep it `real' price wise because it's the average family and the younger generation as in `students' that is going to go the games to watch and they need to keep prices reasonable and attractive.

It's pretty damn hard to do this though with rising insurances and laws that are killing what was once a `simple and pleasant' day out and i am not referring to just Rugby League in this either.

Alan Shore

First Grade
blueboatboy2 said:
Geez I'm happy I have never been to the roosters site.............I am bored just reading all the crap they put out here :lol:

Yeah, The Wall was an absolute shithole!

PK said:
I have enjoyed reading your sarcasm nospam49 and notice that it had to be a cafe latte sipping fan to take you seriously!!! :lol:

I have pretty much agreed with most of what you said...except for that last post. I would not take Campbell over Gower to run a team.

In my opinion:
Campbells brilliance is that he goes anywhere, does anything on the spur of the moment. Gowers brilliance is that it is all methodically planned.
I think that not only do we have Gowers expertise of leadership on field that has directed the team around brilliantly but you have back-up in Priddis, Girds and we use to have Satts. Taking Satts out of the picture leaves a small dent. But we still have Priddis and Girds who are all in there directing along with Gowie. Give him time and if he happens to take over the lock position permanently Swain may fill that dent.

At the moment and until the rookies get more 1st grade experience i cannot see immediate leadership roles in them but i can definately see them developing.

Depth. It was a question continually raised by our critics all year ... let me take you back to the Grand Final. Who was the team that challenged for the Premier Cup that day? I'm pretty sure it was a team called St.Marys Penrith Cougars but apparently it is DEPTH that we have trouble with...

Versatility is another valuable tool that Penrith hold. Many of our players can fill a variety of spots...the only time we had trouble with it was our 2nd game down in Melbourne last season where both our Centres were injured. It didnt take Lang long to find an answer for that one...

Im glad you like my posts so far. :D

I watched Preston Campbell very closley this season and I just feel that people really under rate his playmaking skills.

He has a good kicking and passing game. When ever something is put on by the Panthers its usually come from Preston Campbell starting something off (Did that make sense?).

I think Gower is a solid halfback. I dont think he is much of a playmaker but he is a good defender.

Thats just my opinion and I may be wrong.....NAH! :D

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I have not seen it yet, so....
The biggest threat......
The salary cap auditor......

Penrith... no chance...imported a losing culture I am informed.

PK said:
Crowd averages is always an interesting topic and going on the statistics that was provided above doesn't give us a proper overall judgement on them. There are too many fors and againsts for it to stand up as a legite argument in a debate.

So far crowd averages have been crawling back up since the `Super League' days and the introduction of `Cable' TV.

I think it's also important to remember that rugby league has never had huge crowds. People talk about the 50s and 60s and the huge crowds, but it's all a myth. The best year between 1957 and 1970 was in 1968 when the average was 12,854 per game.

Today's crowds are bigger than that and, in fact, bigger than they've ever been.

I suspect the average might climb to around 16,000 within the next few years. But I doubt it'll go any higher.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Mr Angry said:
Now that's just beautiful... :lol:

nospam49, i do agree that he is involved in just about anything that comes off but i also think that Gowie is has quite a large hand in them as well. They have both created a perfect combination on field and they are both the toughest little blokes running around in today's game and we have them as our halves. I doubt any panther fan and many other RL fans under-rate Prestons ability on field. Only fools such as Chris Anderson would do that. :lol:

It's only in my opinion that i feel he doesnt have the leadership qualities that Gower has.

Renowned League Expert when we refer to 50's and 60's the population was not anywhere near the size of today so you would need to take that into consideration along with transport disability in that era. Also the money factor of that time was no where near the amount we have today. At that point of time women working was frowned upon so there was only one income coming through the door. The efforts that fans went to in those days to go to games i applaud.

socksie

Juniors
Kaz said:
I have know idea what it is like to lose a GF.

Seeing as my team the Broncos have never tasted a GF loss. :D

And the same can be said for Knights supporters as well. :D

good work kaz

i take back what i said about you being an in-the-closet knights supporter ;-)

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Zef said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
. Added to that the continuing improvent of Brett Finch

???

Well, I guess he's only got one direction to go, but it's very doubtful that he's got it in him.

You's have got yourselves a dud there ol' Ferris.

Finch is the most over-rated player since gordon tallis.

PK said:
Mr Angry said:
Now that's just beautiful... :lol:

nospam49, i do agree that he is involved in just about anything that comes off but i also think that Gowie is has quite a large hand in them as well. They have both created a perfect combination on field and they are both the toughest little blokes running around in today's game and we have them as our halves. I doubt any panther fan and many other RL fans under-rate Prestons ability on field. Only fools such as Chris Anderson would do that. :lol:

It's only in my opinion that i feel he doesnt have the leadership qualities that Gower has.

Renowned League Expert when we refer to 50's and 60's the population was not anywhere near the size of today so you would need to take that into consideration along with transport disability in that era. Also the money factor of that time was no where near the amount we have today. At that point of time women working was frowned upon so there was only one income coming through the door. The efforts that fans went to in those days to go to games i applaud.

Good points.