What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

be55

Juniors
It truly makes me laugh when people post that McInnes left the club because Mary was moved on. The guy was a grown man and our club's captain. Not a petulant child holding a grudge. I'm fairly sure his decision would have been based around what was best for him and his family and out of a sense that he was being treated how a club captain, and a player of his caliber, should be treated. Not out of his supposed disappointment and anger that the club moved Mary on.

Even the club said at the time that McInnes wanted a long term deal and wanted it sorted out before the start of the next season. I believe "working on different timeframes" was the crap coming out of the club, at the time, when talking about negotiations with Cam.

For all the people banging on about culture here was a guy, our club captain, our best and fairest for the previous two seasons, always effort on effort, phenomenal work rate, gave his everything on the field and an absolute born leader, and the incoming coach and club didn't even put an offer on the table for him when he wanted his future sorted. And we all know why that was. Because Hook wanted McCullough at dummy half and saw him as an equal replacement for him on lesser coin. A notion so absurd it's absolutely laughable.

To be honest this was one of the first things that Hook did that made me seriously question his judgement. Putting the retention of McInnes on the back burner and making the slowest dummy half in the comp, who was coming off of a complete hamstring tear, a priority signing was mind boggling to me at the time. Anyone could have seen that the the way the game was changing speed and elusiveness around the ruck would be becoming increasingly more vital. Whether Cam was to play dummy half or lock, the one thing he had was speed. He set the tone and led our defensive line speed, week in week out, and he wasn't shown the respect he should have been when he wanted his future taken care of. You couldn't have found a better role model for our young juniors that were coming through. For what McInnes had produced, on the field for us, the club should have made him the priority not a busted 31 year old who happen to be friends with Ben Hunt and who Hook had previously coached.

We lost Cam, someone who set the example for others to follow, and ended up signing players like McGuire and Burgess both of whom had previously been found guilty of eye gouging and had rap sheets a mile long...

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

slippery5

Juniors
Frankly, I dont give a rat's arse what Hunt reckons. It's so transparently self-interested it gives me the shits. He's a great player but IMO throughout his career he's never looked like part of a 'team'. That's a major part of the on-field problem I reckon.

Aging Qlders will never do it for the Dragons. I know many will call this a load of BS but, I believe, there is a strong Dragons spirit. This is why our young guys are sooooo important. They are far more valuable, in the long term, than import 'marquee' players - because of what they have grown from.
Hunt's comment, that he "didn't think' there was a culture problem at the Dragons typified someone who doesn't bleed red & white, otherwise he would "know" if there was or wasn't a culture problem.
Seems like he doesn't look past his own interest.

BLM01

First Grade
It truly makes me laugh when people post that McInnes left the club because Mary was moved on. The guy was a grown man and our club's captain. Not a petulant child holding a grudge. I'm fairly sure his decision would have been based around what was best for him and his family and out of a sense that he was being treated how a club captain, and a player of his caliber, should be treated. Not out of his supposed disappointment and anger that the club moved Mary on.

Even the club said at the time that McInnes wanted a long term deal and wanted it sorted out before the start of the next season. I believe "working on different timeframes" was the crap coming out of the club, at the time, when talking about negotiations with Cam.

For all the people banging on about culture here was a guy, our club captain, our best and fairest for the previous two seasons, always effort on effort, phenomenal work rate, gave his everything on the field and an absolute born leader, and the incoming coach and club didn't even put an offer on the table for him when he wanted his future sorted. And we all know why that was. Because Hook wanted McCullough at dummy half and saw him as an equal replacement for him on lesser coin. A notion so absurd it's absolutely laughable.

To be honest this was one of the first things that Hook did that made me seriously question his judgement. Putting the retention of McInnes on the back burner and making the slowest dummy half in the comp, who was coming off of a complete hamstring tear, a priority signing was mind boggling to me at the time. Anyone could have seen that the the way the game was changing speed and elusiveness around the ruck would be becoming increasingly more vital. Whether Cam was to play dummy half or lock, the one thing he had was speed. He set the tone and led our defensive line speed, week in week out, and he wasn't shown the respect he should have been when he wanted his future taken care of. You couldn't have found a better role model for our young juniors that were coming through. For what McInnes had produced, on the field for us, the club should have made him the priority not a busted 31 year old who happen to be friends with Ben Hunt and who Hook had previously coached.

We lost Cam, someone who set the example for others to follow, and ended up signing players like McGuire and Burgess both of whom had previously been found guilty of eye gouging and had rap sheets a mile long...

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
I think the money Sharks gave him spoke loudest. 600K for a bench player most weeks. Does seem a bit of kilt. His career has retreated in respect to being a potential look at now for origin etc as he is behind too many.
Saying all that I wish he did stay and lead us as captain

TheRev

Coach
I think the money Sharks gave him spoke loudest. 600K for a bench player most weeks. Does seem a bit of kilt. His career has retreated in respect to being a potential look at now for origin etc as he is behind too many.
Saying all that I wish he did stay and lead us as captain
McInnes is a classic example of how broken the cap is... as if any club can afford to 'deliberately' pay 600k for a bench hooker, they even had their 1st choice young gun hooker already on the books.. its unfortunately why we can't compete roster wise with most of these clubs, 1by1 they seem to work it out and hoard talent.. the dogs started playing it this last year or so... its either flat out cheating or its done under a TPA guide.. either way it makes it so difficult for sides like us to bridge the roster gap.

BLM01

First Grade
McInnes is a classic example of how broken the cap is... as if any club can afford to 'deliberately' pay 600k for a bench hooker, they even had their 1st choice young gun hooker already on the books.. its unfortunately why we can't compete roster wise with most of these clubs, 1by1 they seem to work it out and hoard talent.. the dogs started playing it this last year or so... its either flat out cheating or its done under a TPA guide.. either way it makes it so difficult for sides like us to bridge the roster gap.
Nail on head. TPA and other lurks, benefits, side deals / promises organised by good CEO's / owners with maangers investing in making their club a powerhouse
Simple really. We dont put that same hungry investment in.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
We wouldn’t be in this situation if the board accepted the Sydney kings owner rather the tosser Gordon’s

Dragon David

First Grade

Good one Roosters. Now that you have Brown, keep going. There are others that you could pick-up and your salary cap won't be affected. Come to think of it, you could sign up a whole new team and just have a two team competition called The Politis Cup.

Gee that club is so ........... We need, we want, we get and no-one else can have them as we are so greedy.

Had to laugh at the last line in that article "the Eels are chipping in a large portion of his yearly salary". I just read elsewhere earlier that the knocked back the Manly swap off because Browns money is much more than Harper's, and they don't want to chip in any dollars. Uncle Nick doing more dodgy deals?

Latest posts