What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
The team is bigger than one player, which is why I support the Dragons. Not Ben Hunt. He has been a poor investment for 6 years and I am disappointed we are not moving him on as his contact value is useful in the player market.
How are you going with those solutions to all the problems?

FFS! One advantage I see in 2024 under Flanno....no more whinging old fart bringing this place down quicker than a pair of undies with worn elastic.

We all have suffered through the years since Bennett, the failed and inadequate FO, the useless appointments in coaching and player recruitment. What is wrong with holding on to a little hope of things turning around now? That little light most of us see may very well turn out to be a runaway train. But the train driver doesn't have to be a grumpy, grouchy old fart with his no elastic undies down around his ankles.

BLM01

First Grade
Since when is stating the obvious talking it down?

If the points I make were pre conditions to get Flanagans signature would you have said yep let’s do that straight away and not seek any other expressions of interest?

What’s the difference you ask well you will accept the crumbs on the floor and I won’t
and despite all the shitty deals we have done re coaches in the last 12 years this one is sleazy.
Flanno has not even come in and your not ranting the obvious
The points you make were not so your hypothetical is just that
We lose Musgrove and JHunt and replace with Sele and hopefully more signings to come
Lose Mybe and replace maybe Flanno Jnr who is younger and a goal kicker
He has put plenty of existing players on notice including Zac Bud and others
We are possibly replacing those floor crumbs you refer to
Why don’t you wait to see the squad for 24 and then 2025 when he has had time to start assembling the squad he wants before being quick to right us off
If players wants to stay they will work hard to achieve
If they reckon they can get better deals elsewhere see you later
It’s about time
The obvious is actually a good start if you break it down
Look at Lonax since his conservation of you can leave if you can find an equal or better deal elsewhere
all of sudden good football good game work ethic cut the crap and also kicking goals again
Amazing.. thanks Flanno to whatever you said a few weeks ago
The obvious is also you don’t want or like Flanno and we all get that but that’s just your choice

Old Timer

Coach
FFS! One advantage I see in 2024 under Flanno....no more whinging old fart bringing this place down quicker than a pair of undies with worn elastic.

We all have suffered through the years since Bennett, the failed and inadequate FO, the useless appointments in coaching and player recruitment. What is wrong with holding on to a little hope of things turning around now? That little light most of us see may very well turn out to be a runaway train. But the train driver doesn't have to be a grumpy, grouchy old fart with his no elastic undies down around his ankles.
Lol just keep sucking it up and singing the chorus of Kumbaya.

We all know the club needed demonstrative change after punting Hook.

Ryles turns up at the interview with a list of demands and not negotiable’s and that ends up on the rocks.

Flanno turns up and by mutual agreement Doust gets Young, Flanno gets his son, the BOD keeps Haran and the supporters get Hunt and the WIN group get to keep their money while we sign some more cheapy options like Sele & Flanno Jnr.

A deal for the ages and of course Luke Thompson and Ipape are now the types of players this place is salivating over ooh I forgot it’s ok their better than what we have so that means it’s a good deal.

If you think this is the demonstrative change that we need then no wonder the place is a train wreck. Flanno is just another bum boy for this mismanaged club and somehow that’s all ok again and to push back against it is seen as inexcusable.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Rueben Cotter (1.8m/95kg) say's Hi
Oh great so Sele is on par with Cotter now is he?

Maybe in terms of size but certainly big playing ability or even playing position!

Cotter plays either 13 or comes off the bench for the cowboys, Sele is starting from row for the Rabbitohs and presumably he will play front row for the dragons too.

Sele has only run for over 150 metres in 3 games this season, which I'd say is a fail for any front rower.

Regardless of how anyone wants to spin this, it is a very uninspiring first signing, particularly when we're told Flanagan will bring marquee players to the club and is an expert recruiter, what a crock that is.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Ryles turns up at the interview with a list of demands and not negotiable’s and that ends up on the rocks.

Flanno turns up and by mutual agreement Doust gets Young, Flanno gets his son, the BOD keeps Haran and the supporters get Hunt and the WIN group get to keep their money while we sign some more cheapy options like Sele & Flanno Jnr.

A deal for the ages and of course Luke Thompson and Ipape are now the types of players this place is salivating over ooh I forgot it’s ok their better than what we have so that means it’s a good deal.

If you think this is the demonstrative change that we need then no wonder the place is a train wreck. Flanno is just another bum boy for this mismanaged club and somehow that’s all ok again and to push back against it is seen as inexcusable.
Well said OT.

All of what you said is spot on, the only thing you left out was in 2-3 years there will be many on here who are cracking it on a daily basis and claiming they knew this from the moment Flanagan was appointed.

I would rather live my life singing Kumbaya than wallowing in crap. And that goes for all walks of life, not just footy. As is said, YOLO....enjoy it.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I’m just waiting for the next instalment of Fox media guy Hooper bring outside St George leagues tearing us to shreds with Hunt a week away from going place is about to collapse like a Top place building and we are the laughing stock of them NRL. The Polooka Hooper is lucky he didn’t get egged for the 3 days he spent at leagues club with his exclusives. The only exclusive he has is that he is a moron

Old Timer

Coach
Flanno has not even come in and your not ranting the obvious
The points you make were not so your hypothetical is just that
We lose Musgrove and JHunt and replace with Sele and hopefully more signings to come
Lose Mybe and replace maybe Flanno Jnr who is younger and a goal kicker
He has put plenty of existing players on notice including Zac Bud and others
We are possibly replacing those floor crumbs you refer to
Why don’t you wait to see the squad for 24 and then 2025 when he has had time to start assembling the squad he wants before being quick to right us off
If players wants to stay they will work hard to achieve
If they reckon they can get better deals elsewhere see you later
It’s about time
The obvious is actually a good start if you break it down
Look at Lonax since his conservation of you can leave if you can find an equal or better deal elsewhere
all of sudden good football good game work ethic cut the crap and also kicking goals again
Amazing.. thanks Flanno to whatever you said a few weeks ago
The obvious is also you don’t want or like Flanno and we all get that but that’s just your choice
You asked what is my solution

Well my solution was Ryles who would have forced change but that didn't get up for very obvious reasons.

What is it that I would have wished for with Ryles

1. A SOO quality front rower (there are several on the fringe that would be far better than what we have)
2. A tall fast winger preferably LHS.
3. A spine quality FB.
4. A 5/8 to compliment Bud and I proposed Deardon but if you remember that got push back because supposedly he was a rookie. Well all I can say is some rookies are infinitely better than ours and actually deserve their spot in the NRL.
5. A complete change in recruitment and pathways.
6. A new fresh approach that sees attack and defence as integral and complimentary in the way we play.
7. WIN & the Gordon's put on notice that they have to get the moths out of the wallet.
8. Doust, Young & Co told to f**k off and stop interfering.
9. Stop the stupidity that so many of our Jnr's are going to be the next big thing and make sure we know how to select the keepers and cull the rest.

Now re Lomax and the loose Flanno involvement you are crowing about.

If you remember just a little while ago when all the coaching selection dramas were playing out many in this place hopped on the Carr wagon and some even said if a coach could not be found externally just perhaps Carr on the evidence at that point might be a better option than Young or Hornby.

A lot of credit was being given to Carr about selection and style but then a couple of heavy losses and people started getting off the Carr train and then when things picked up again all of a sudden it wasn't Carr it must be Flanno.

Well the simple fact is anytime Lomax has been able to get early and clean ball he has played very well but getting early and clean ball hasn't occurred all that often to allow him to do that has it?

Coincidentally 1 of those games was very recent when Hunt was out and Amone was given a lot more freedom and space.

So I give credit to Carr and the halves for changing their style of play to allow Lomax to do what he does including his flick pass because he has time to do it.

You however will stick with the narrative that a Flanno pep talk to Lomax is what did it and that having players inside him playing a different style of footy time played no part in him being better able to show his skills.

If the halves didn't do what they did and if Amone and Bud were suppressed as usual by Hunt then Lomax would have just had another ordinary game.

But your man Flanno is keeping Hunt in the 7 and consulting with him just like Hook did so what makes you think the outcome will be any different?

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Hello everyone I’ve returned from my vacation in Italy visiting family to our nickel and dime nrl competition. Although I’ve always followed Saints as a kid my heart is and always will be with soccer or as it’s known the world over as football. Unfortunately the nrl is limited to its appeal globally and will never truly grow. In saying that it’s still a great local game as is afl and in Australia these two brands are followed by most. So we have a new coach and we still have Capt Hunt who seems to have done a u turn. In Europe his sort of behaviour would not have been tolerated. Even the great Ronaldo got punted by Man U for carrying on with his tantrums.
The problem here is we have too many teams and not enough quality players to go around in accordance with our population. The major leagues in Europe have only 20 teams which ensures more quality players and quality matches.
There will always be the top teams though as the best of the best usually go to the more attractive and wealthier sides.
This is of course impossible to compare but what I’m trying to say is that we should only have 10 or 12 teams competing which would ensure an even competition and quality matches.
The cap would increase crowds would increase and sponsors would be clamouring all over the teams instead of holding them to ransom. And we wouldn’t need these bullshit hidden TPA’s

I see a lot of us in here fighting amongst ourselves and really for no good reason. We have a new coach (whether we like him or not) so were just going to have to support him until we see otherwise. I see a revitalised Ben Hunt and again, we might be stuck with him for 2 more years , so we might just have to live with it( as much as i and many others hate the idea).
But we’re starting to see a roster change which so many of us wanted. The market isnt flush with great players so to me Sele isnt a great start but hes a solid buy and at least better quality than what Hook was buying us.
I just want us to avoid the spoon and then see what the new coach can deliver. After the last 2 coaches we certainly cant be any worse off.
But to everyone on here lets try and be positive and stop the in fighting. Us and the Dragons are certainly better than that and we deserve more- lets hope its about to be dished up

dungay dragon

Juniors
Wondering if we are genuinely going to have a crack at Luai from the Panthers..?
There have been grumblings of discontent out of Penrith for weeks , now Danny Boy blirts out the same yarn , with of course the Bulldogs in major contention...we got a mention as well ..
It appears everyone there is getting a piece of the pie except for Jarome , who is holding out for the million dollar handshake
A quality player and match winner when on song. May just need a change of scenery to get him back to his best....
Would form a hellava combo with Hunt , providing also we can nab some quality forwards , to give us the go forward these two would need
Thoughts >>

Old Timer

Coach
I thought Lomax's best game was his latest one, with Hunt in the 7....or does that not suit your narrative OT?
His last game was good with Hunt at 7 not sure it was his best though but certainly markedly better than most this season

Hunt played a very different role at 7 than he had been previously and I put that down to Carr and his style of coaching and not some supposed loose conversation between Lomax and Flanno.

TheRev

Coach
I see a lot of us in here fighting amongst ourselves and really for no good reason. We have a new coach (whether we like him or not) so were just going to have to support him until we see otherwise. I see a revitalised Ben Hunt and again, we might be stuck with him for 2 more years , so we might just have to live with it( as much as i and many others hate the idea).
But we’re starting to see a roster change which so many of us wanted. The market isnt flush with great players so to me Sele isnt a great start but hes a solid buy and at least better quality than what Hook was buying us.
I just want us to avoid the spoon and then see what the new coach can deliver. After the last 2 coaches we certainly cant be any worse off.
But to everyone on here lets try and be positive and stop the in fighting. Us and the Dragons are certainly better than that and we deserve more- lets hope its about to be dished up
^ This! Can you guys wait till we lose a few games in 2024 to start infighting? :p

Given the terrible situation our board/hook/haran has left us in.. honestly any improved signings this close to 2024 is a win.. clubs are usually planning this stuff 2yrs out... so Flanagans goal is to get us to a workman like competitive side.. and then hopefully in 12 mths time.. we can start to 'think big' about bigger name recruits.

Nanadragon

Juniors
As per usual in this place posters finding ways to talk up players that are average.

All the talk pre signing Flanagan was we need a “big body” to bolster our inadequate forward pack.

It was pay the money for a Tino or a Nelson or a Haas or 1 of the Saifiti brothers but that has now gone to woo hoo look we got Sele well done Flanno.
This place didn’t want young, Kyle Flanagan was laughable as an option after being dropped at the Dogs, Bud was all the go and the question was why isn’t Musgrave in 1sts.

Well Bud the keeper is no longer a keeper, Musgrove with the much needed mongrel has lost his bark, the laughable half option is now a great 14 option, Young the “let’s not have any old boy” is back in the building and we have another prodigal son in Sele returning to join “Pudding” in the front row.

Exciting times indeed under Flanno the draw card premiership winning coach who has a way with talented juniors and their pathways, who can attract a big signing and evidently has managed to keep a 34 year old half back that almost nobody in here has a good word for and has put the c firmly behind his surname when this place has put the c firmly in front of it.
Wow you're negative. Let's see what the future brings. I, for one, feel a lot more optimistic about the future than I did this time last year.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’m still happy to sit back & wait for Flanno to officially start in the next preseason before casting view & opinion.
I’ll wait to see whom he can recruit and whom is given a push out the door.

My biggest concern, is the common denominator to the sinking of the RedV, being Ben Haran and if he shall remain as GM of Football. If he does, I see not much change.

BLM01

First Grade
You asked what is my solution

Well my solution was Ryles who would have forced change but that didn't get up for very obvious reasons.

What is it that I would have wished for with Ryles

1. A SOO quality front rower (there are several on the fringe that would be far better than what we have)
2. A tall fast winger preferably LHS.
3. A spine quality FB.
4. A 5/8 to compliment Bud and I proposed Deardon but if you remember that got push back because supposedly he was a rookie. Well all I can say is some rookies are infinitely better than ours and actually deserve their spot in the NRL.
5. A complete change in recruitment and pathways.
6. A new fresh approach that sees attack and defence as integral and complimentary in the way we play.
7. WIN & the Gordon's put on notice that they have to get the moths out of the wallet.
8. Doust, Young & Co told to f**k off and stop interfering.
9. Stop the stupidity that so many of our Jnr's are going to be the next big thing and make sure we know how to select the keepers and cull the rest.

Now re Lomax and the loose Flanno involvement you are crowing about.

If you remember just a little while ago when all the coaching selection dramas were playing out many in this place hopped on the Carr wagon and some even said if a coach could not be found externally just perhaps Carr on the evidence at that point might be a better option than Young or Hornby.

A lot of credit was being given to Carr about selection and style but then a couple of heavy losses and people started getting off the Carr train and then when things picked up again all of a sudden it wasn't Carr it must be Flanno.

Well the simple fact is anytime Lomax has been able to get early and clean ball he has played very well but getting early and clean ball hasn't occurred all that often to allow him to do that has it?

Coincidentally 1 of those games was very recent when Hunt was out and Amone was given a lot more freedom and space.

So I give credit to Carr and the halves for changing their style of play to allow Lomax to do what he does including his flick pass because he has time to do it.

You however will stick with the narrative that a Flanno pep talk to Lomax is what did it and that having players inside him playing a different style of footy time played no part in him being better able to show his skills.

If the halves didn't do what they did and if Amone and Bud were suppressed as usual by Hunt then Lomax would have just had another ordinary game.

But your man Flanno is keeping Hunt in the 7 and consulting with him just like Hook did so what makes you think the outcome will be any different?
I did not ask for your solution that was someone else
Who said Carr is not staying under Flanno. Lonax is not getting any more cleaner ball than before
Lomax has improved all round last couple of weeks snd it coincided with the Flanno talk like it or not
Carr gad been at the club the whole time

Last edited:

Latest posts