What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

SnowDragon

Juniors
Just saw Toby Rudolph is an only signed till end of 2024. My guess is that he is happy at cronulla, but I’m wondering if Flanno may have a go at picking him up. Great player in his prime who could really be a leader in our pack.

at first I hoped Flanno May have a link with him, but I think he has only played 3 yrs

denis preston

First Grade
Not sure how Dearden effects Hunt given Hunt wants to be out in 2025, but certainly sounds like we will have a big shot at him.. thing is will numerous other clubs do the same? We shall see, but its exciting.
It’s obvious ( to me anyhow) that Flanno has placated Hunt by all but promising him big or biggish signings after Nov 1st. Failure to do so could open up old wounds. Flanners has made some talk about recruitment since he was signed so I wonder( or more hope) if some of these deals have already been done & just waiting for early Nov to announce?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
It’s obvious ( to me anyhow) that Flanno has placated Hunt by all but promising him big or biggish signings after Nov 1st. Failure to do so could open up old wounds. Flanners has made some talk about recruitment since he was signed so I wonder( or more hope) if some of these deals have already been done & just waiting for early Nov to announce?
Yes, but Flanno has cunningly set things up by making Ben part of the recruitment process. If he fails to recruit anyone decent, he can just blame Hunt.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
I would look at RFM from the dogs. Solid defender and just a good player that seems to be on the outer from what ive read

BLM01

First Grade
Me to. The bromance between this two is sickening, almost as bad as with Griffin.
Rubbish. These days captains and leadership groups at each club are consulted on may things football on field related. It is the modern way of doing things. The buck and final decision still stops with the HC who will take the fall for failures.
The problem for Hook was not only his choice of experienced (washed up) people to bring in but his style had not caught up with the modern game + our cap was in a mess thanks to Haran, Millward, BOD and Mary to some degree paying overs for imports and some of our juniors. If you want to blame Hunt to some degree with Hook for the past couple of years OK, but Flanno appears a bit smarter about the way he is doing things.. well at least I hope. :)

TheRev

First Grade
It's not an either/or regarding the recruitment of forwards and backs.. we have cash for all of them if we can find the players that a) flanno can sign and b) will actually come.

And yes I dislike Hunt like everyone else, but his complaints are legit in that he was promised improvements in the front office / recruitment, leading to a quality roster.. if things hadnt of blown up the way they did, I don't think we would have a) the change of board members b) openness to change the football dept (Haran still tbd) and c) The vision to appoint a coach like Flanno.. who wasnt even on our list of names until the very end.

But Hunts honesty in the media, wasn't particularly strategic, its ended up hurting him and the club.. he led us to keeping Hook 12-18mths too long, but tbf he backed himself (with Hook) to turn things around if we could do a better job with recruitment... and maybe he could have.. we did let him down.. but he's also the pivotal instrument in that demise. I completely understand his perspective though.. and why he would want to run away now and have a fresh start.

Really its just a marker of how poorly run the club has been that we let ourselves get into the position where we only have 1 marquee player left and he has so much control over our clubs future, it's been a decade in the making.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Rubbish. These days captains and leadership groups at each club are consulted on may things football on field related. It is the modern way of doing things. The buck and final decision still stops with the HC who will take the fall for failures.
The problem for Hook was not only his choice of experienced (washed up) people to bring in but his style had not caught up with the modern game + our cap was in a mess thanks to Haran, Millward, BOD and Mary to some degree paying overs for imports and some of our juniors. If you want to blame Hunt to some degree with Hook for the past couple of years OK, but Flanno appears a bit smarter about the way he is doing things.. well at least I hope. :)
Agreed.
Particularly the style of play under Hook which was dated & reflected in his recruitment

Crush

Coach
Just on Hunt , once again a very good game playing for the Kangaroos last night .

It would appear that he places value on a particular jersey
then he will play accordingly , let’s hope that the same applies with the Dragon jersey next season .
Yeah, it was also very clear to me that he played his guts out for Hook but took his foot off the peddle once Carr came in as interim, he went from carrying the team to going through the motions.
However, the opposite can be said for other players. Take Lomax as an example, he was terrible under Hook, to the point where I actually considered he was tanking to get him fired (remember all those missed conversions?)
Then he started flying under Carr and was all of a sudden a sharp shooter with the boot again!
For Flanno to be a chance of turning the club around, he’ll need everyone on board, particularly Hunt.

Illusion

Bench
It's not an either/or regarding the recruitment of forwards and backs.. we have cash for all of them if we can find the players that a) flanno can sign and b) will actually come.

And yes I dislike Hunt like everyone else, but his complaints are legit in that he was promised improvements in the front office / recruitment, leading to a quality roster.. if things hadnt of blown up the way they did, I don't think we would have a) the change of board members b) openness to change the football dept (Haran still tbd) and c) The vision to appoint a coach like Flanno.. who wasnt even on our list of names until the very end.

But Hunts honesty in the media, wasn't particularly strategic, its ended up hurting him and the club.. he led us to keeping Hook 12-18mths too long, but tbf he backed himself (with Hook) to turn things around if we could do a better job with recruitment... and maybe he could have.. we did let him down.. but he's also the pivotal instrument in that demise. I completely understand his perspective though.. and why he would want to run away now and have a fresh start.

Really its just a marker of how poorly run the club has been that we let ourselves get into the position where only have 1 marquee player left and he has so much control over our clubs future, it's been a decade in the making.
Yep in other words the joint is F**KED ........

Latest posts