What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Parko1310

Juniors
and I have no doubt flannos coaching will bring out the best. if not flanno wouldnt be up for keeping him
Suli looks fit to me from the photos and videos I've seen of pre-season so far. Another player who returned early as well. Keen to see how he goes, he needs to learn to pass the ball a bit more often and vary his line-running too from trying to bulldoze over. Excited to see how he goes though, especially since Flanno pointed him out specifically as someone he wants to lift to origin standard.

TheRev

First Grade
and I have no doubt flannos coaching will bring out the best. if not flanno wouldnt be up for keeping him
Yep, and it will be interesting to see if Flanno and Young can get everybody defending better as a unit also.. that was really one of our biggest problems in 2023, even though we tended to blame the ctr/winger every time.. even though there was a 1 or 2 man overlap already.

It is certainly possible Suli won't work out also.. Flanno isnt Nostradamus.. it'll take 6-12mths to figure out if he can (and wants to) learn. But hes a weapon in some sort of position... and better than any of the available options.. Olam is the only centre I can think of off contract, but Suli is about on par and ours already.. huge bonus if he gets us AFB in the process...

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I know Dragons have been guilty in the past to some degree but Tigers habitually have overpaid average players in recent years
If Flanno lands (minimum) 1 of the 5 he's after.. then alls well that ends well.. but imo its a huge gamble.. its a method that would have been more successful a few years ago before the salary cap increase.

But if it was me i'd overpay by 200k for the first 1 or 2 no problems at all.. and then worry about tightening the purse strings.. the tigers landed Papalihi > Api/Bateman in that initial raid.. and its leapfrogged their roster.. theyve been able to get more players since then due to those star players, Api in particular as a captain/spine... combined with the best of their kids filtering up, I mean I hope Benji fails miserably (for our sake) but I think they are going to be a much tougher opposition this year.

kit66

Bench
Yep as a bulldozing edgie perhaps. Needs to develop a desire to pass tho and strengthen his defense, specially the reading part.

Suli isn't that bad a defender, it's our defensive structures and the fact he played all year with two absolute slugs in defence in Rava and Feagai outside him, both of whom spent the year racing up and in and leaving a saloon passage outside - exacerbated by their inability to chase anything. We got beat out wide so many times this year it was ridiculous and no-one, least of all Hook had any answers. Flanagan will you can bet your ass.
He needs to have better support inside and out - a winger who knows how to position himself in defence and attack to take advantage of a Suli bust or off-load, someone fast with smarts like Sloan, who can also chase down anyone who breaks our line out wide. Inside requires a better defensive line-up than he had for a good part of the year e.g. BMM/Hunt, Bird/Amone with Sloan chiming in. Get Sua/Flanagan or Luki/Hunt helping him out plus a coach who knows the game and we'll be better all round. If Lomax plays FB there's your defence improving 20-30% before a ball is even kicked.
Suli also has good hands and a good pass, he just lacked space, early ball and a competent wingman most of the year.
He'll be the beast we all knew he could be under Flanno.

BLM01

First Grade
If Flanno lands (minimum) 1 of the 5 he's after.. then alls well that ends well.. but imo its a huge gamble.. its a method that would have been more successful a few years ago before the salary cap increase.

But if it was me i'd overpay by 200k for the first 1 or 2 no problems at all.. and then worry about tightening the purse strings.. the tigers landed Papalihi > Api/Bateman in that initial raid.. and its leapfrogged their roster.. theyve been able to get more players since then due to those star players, Api in particular as a captain/spine... combined with the best of their kids filtering up, I mean I hope Benji fails miserably (for our sake) but I think they are going to be a much tougher opposition this year.
You say Tigers have landed more players since signing Api / Bateman & Papaali and leapfrogged their roster

They came last with those players and who have they signed of worth since?

BLM01

First Grade
Suli looks fit to me from the photos and videos I've seen of pre-season so far. Another player who returned early as well. Keen to see how he goes, he needs to learn to pass the ball a bit more often and vary his line-running too from trying to bulldoze over. Excited to see how he goes though, especially since Flanno pointed him out specifically as someone he wants to lift to origin standard.
As does Lomax, lost a bit of weight in the body bulk so maybe doing heaps of km's. :)

Gardenia

Juniors
OMG - we are looking to resign Suli. Clearly they cannot attract anyone else.
I was critical when we signed Suli and I'm happy to double down on his resigning.
He is a one dimensional player and if you are serious about wanting to win an NRL title you cannot afford to carry such players.
Shame.
True most of that
Is he the one that is friends with AFB? If so it could hopefully maybe be handy

TheRev

First Grade
You say Tigers have landed more players since signing Api / Bateman & Papaali and leapfrogged their roster

They came last with those players and who have they signed of worth since?
The tigers are 'exactly' 2years in front of our rebuild 'if' we get a Dearden or AFB type signing.. their sequence went something like:

o Step 1: Nov 2021: Papali'i (announced for 2023) - huge speculation he would backflip
o Step 2: 2022: Players signed for 2023: Api, Klemmer, Bateman, Staines
o Step 3: 2022-2023: No big names I agree, but all their gun kids have been kept so far.. Bula, Staines (again), Talau, Tupou.. im sure there are a bunch of others in there.. they also pulled Sullivan from us in the process...
o Step 4: Dec 2023: Havent pulled this off yet.. but theyre in the box seat for Luai (and hopefully not AFB for our sake)

The Tigers roster is still bottom 4... but I really like the way they went about their rebuild (from rock bottom), Api was a masterstroke.. and their kids (Stefano and the backs) are in demand 1st grade near rep level kids.. versus ours that have all struggled.. there is a lot to like imo about the Tigers rebuild.. I just hope (for our sake) that Benji cant coach.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep. I think the Tigers' trajectory for 2024 will be good. They definitely won't be wooded spooners next season and they will win a lot more than last season. The one player that will help again next year is Api. He has a great footy brain, he thinks ahead as a hooker should and did quite well in his first season this year at the Tigers.

If they did land Luai for 2025, they will be even much better going forward from there. The club is looking ahead and their rebuild will get them up there. Sheens gone now so Benji will make more of the decisions and just might surprise everyone with good results.

Latest posts