What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
They both have upside and it is probably that or no one. That's the reality. Not sure why you are so surprised. They both are good players.

Surprised ? I'm not surprised, I'm on a Dragons Rumours thread where we're being linked to / people suggesting we chase, third rate players or any player that is off contract or becoming "available", given permission to blah, blah, blah......
I'd be surprised if we weren't linked to each and every player in that category. I think our eligible player Radar is overactive.
What reasons make you think these guys Guler & Horsburg, have an upside when they've been drifting along in almost total obscurity in 1st grade for 7 years at the Canberra Raiders - the Capital of Plod.

How about we aim a little higher.

Parko1310

Juniors
Surprised ? I'm not surprised, I'm on a Dragons Rumours thread where we're being linked to / people suggesting we chase, third rate players or any player that is off contract or becoming "available", given permission to blah, blah, blah......
I'd be surprised if we weren't linked to each and every player in that category. I think our eligible player Radar is overactive.
What reasons make you think these guys Guler & Horsburg, have an upside when they've been drifting along in almost total obscurity in 1st grade for 7 years at the Canberra Raiders - the Capital of Plod.

How about we aim a little higher.
Guler isn't a plodder, you need to watch him closer if that's truly what you think. Would be very good for us. Horsborough on the other hand, completely agree, absolute plodder.

Parko1310

Juniors
I’m guessing we have all only seen a handful games for most players at other clubs like the ones we are mentioning …. and we don’t watch the guys mentioned in detail like we do a playmaker at another club

but I am leaning away for big dollars on Stefano and also Corey - not totally sold on them.

at the right $ and contract length I would be keen on Corey to join. Stefano I think will ask for a lot.

guessing Dolphins are in Corey’s ear

Guler for two years would a good value good metre eater type player we need for those kick off hit ups and or the later 12-15m type hit ups that an AFB does on the third or fourth hit up when rolling down field

reason I say that also is that the stats don’t lie with T Couchman. Nor his brother. They are arguably ahead of any middle at the same young age and especially not real heavy builds either. Another pre season and stacked onto their FG and NsW cup game time now a serious bank of games…….well they could truly be integral players for our best 17 in 2025 and could be closer to that Fisher Harris 103/4kg ish and equally good height.

I also think both could be in our 17 for a long time and probably will feature in a lot of games in 2025

I also think they will leave Lawrie a long way behind in 2025

then Stewart arguably looking very likely for a lock role in 2025/26. If u haven’t watched him closely he is worth watching. Dangerous player around the line in attack as a backtowet primarily no13. Great step, strength and angled running. Another pre season for him also could easily have him at your 190ish 103kg also

Loko Tonga 116kg and 195cm right on their heals before we know it…..more likely 2026 off the bench but could be the real deal

so a Guler and JDB get us through 2025 and maybe 2026 to do the tougher hit up stages of the game unless the Couchman and or Stewart rise above their work
I'm aware of all these guys, but they need to come through with talent alongside them in the forward pack. It's all well and good that they've got talent and seemingly a bright future, but put them all in together too soon and they'll get dominated and lose confidence quickly. We're currently two outside recruits in the prop rotation short in my opinion. We will need to slowly trickle these players in over the next 3-5 years, not drop them all in at the same time in 2025/26 and set them up for failure. For example, it would be outrageous to debut some of them next to this pack as it stands, they would be eaten alive. Couchman's still need to find their feet as well which I'm confident they will in time. We look a lot better if we aim to have Toby playing regularly next year, ridding ourselves of Lawrie, bringing in a Guler and Stefano would be perfect.

8. Stefano
9. Cook
10. Molo
11. Leilua
12. Su'a
13. Sele
14. Liddle
15. JDB
16. Guler
17. T Couchman

Eisenhuth and JDB will soon be gone in the above scenario (Eisenhuth can come in and out of firsts for an extra year), there's two more spots to trickle juniors in, by which time Stefano would be older and more experienced, T Couchman would've played probably 70 ish games, and you can afford to drop more young guys in with this in mind. I acknowledge we're unlikely to land Stefano, but the same applies if we got a Neame, NAS, etc.

Last edited:

dungay dragon

Juniors
Not seen much of him but we have played the Tigers twice this year and he did his job in both as his season stats attest. An Aussie Schoolboy and Samoan international, the big dude would replace the disappointingly inconsistent Frank Molo.
Frank or Michael ??
Frank has had arguably his best season this year for us
Thought he had been a standout ...mmm
Michael is a lightweight back rower who tries hard , but is 6 lens off the premiere forwards in the NRL

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I'm aware of all these guys, but they need to come through with talent alongside them in the forward pack. It's all well and good that they've got talent and seemingly a bright future, but put them all in together too soon and they'll get dominated and lose confidence quickly. We're currently two outside recruits in the prop rotation short in my opinion. We will need to slowly trickle these players in over the next 3-5 years, not drop them all in at the same time in 2025/26 and set them up for failure. For example, it would be outrageous to debut some of them next to this pack as it stands, they would be eaten alive. Couchman's still need to find their feet as well which I'm confident they will in time. We look a lot better if we aim to have Toby playing regularly next year, ridding ourselves of Lawrie, bringing in a Guler and Stefano would be perfect.

8. Stefano
9. Cook
10. Molo
11. Leilua
12. Su'a
13. Sele
14. Liddle
15. JDB
16. Guler
17. T Couchman

Eisenhuth and JDB will soon be gone in the above scenario (Eisenhuth can come in and out of firsts for an extra year), there's two more spots to trickle juniors in, by which time Stefano would be older and more experienced, T Couchman would've played probably 70 ish games, and you can afford to drop more young guys in with this in mind. I acknowledge we're unlikely to land Stefano, but the same applies if we got a Neame, NAS, etc.
I’m with u mate

It’s such a fine balance with truly stacked young forwards just behind

but agree a Molo, JDB and another is critical to ease the pathways into place

I just can’t help but think that the stats achieved by the Couchmen twins is significant and they are not far off being integral top 17 players. Besides their stats their body position and getting through the line is very advanced

They have jumped ahead of the 23/24 yr olds in our squad like Tuiteveke and Fafita which is very pleasing

EDIT I forgot Sele 🤣

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Looks like Flanno is only targeting specific players that will improve the team because they are better than what he already has in terms of coming through. He won't throw money around to guys like Sitili at the Roosters, Coric and the other 2 forwards at the Raiders etc. Saints have been linked with guys like AFB, Manu, Dearden, Connor Tracey, Turuuva who are absolute guns and better than what Saints have now. Cook is an upgrade to liddle and he now has 2 very good hookers for the next 2 years. If a couple of the juniors coming through have the type of season Bostock is having at the Dolphins then Saints are in good hands hence why he is not chasing a back. Maybe next season will be one of those where we see alot of these juniors come up to FG.

I have not seen too many junior games but the final in the SG ball where Saints beat the Dogs they had this small fullback Tyler Peckham-Harris who looks like an absolute gem. Halagahu also looks like a future star. It's good Saints have money spare because there will be teams sniffing around to tap these guys up.

Flanno did say when he joined that he feels this team he inherited at the Dragons is better than the one he got when he joined the Sharks so he must see a lot of good playing coming through the junior ranks. I think this season is about getting rid of the dead wood and preparing for the juniors.

John moz

Juniors
We have been hearing this for years relying on our quality juniors.
It's only mentioned when we are struggling to sign players .
What quality juniors in the last few years who have we been successful with and has gone on to be a star with Dragons long term.
They have all gone to other clubs and have developed into stars.
It's a load of BS Dragons are using successful clubs Roosters Storm and others sign marquee players .
Tigers are looking to another wooden spoon and they keep attracting big names for the next few years.

possm

Coach
It was nice to hear the great man reminiscing about his time at the dragons and about a couple of players that were obviously so important to him in winning the comp. Great that they're still friends after all these years.

I'm not sure if Dean has the tactical smarts to make it as a head coach in the NRL, but I hope he does, he's a good guy.
I think Young and Hormby would Make great assistants to Bennett at Souths.

Victoire

Juniors
Guler is a career benchy/reserve grader. Meh. No thanks. We've got plenty of similar or better.
Horsburgh has played State of Origin. Not so many of those around.

I highly doubt we get Horsburgh since Canberra have him locked away for 3 more years but still, be nice to have a fiery ranga in the middle a la the Lance Thommo days

dungay dragon

Juniors
Hearing today
that One particular NRL Club making a play for the Tigers Stefano with a cool 1 Million a season offer..
Wondering if its Us ?
Flanno desperate for a Premium prop forward leader
We have the cash .....

lombard

Juniors
Hearing today
that One particular NRL Club making a play for the Tigers Stefano with a cool 1 Million a season offer..
Wondering if its Us ?
We have the cash .....
No club can legally make any offers until Tigers are officially beyond making the 8 this year so I think until then the journalists are making things up somewhat.

randomdragon

Juniors
I've been listening to Gould over a period of time and his knowledge about what juniors are coming through the ranks and what NRL players are or will be available is absolutely astounding. How can we compete with this level of knowledge when it appears Flano is trying to do it all himself. Newcastle now have Peter Parr, POS etc...once again a powerhouse of knowledge and contacts. Until this aspect of our club is sorted and not just left to one man we will not be a serious force.
respectfully, I could tell you the same thing about these juniors coming through

Dragon David

First Grade
Clubs can easily tell his manager they have a cool mil waiting when he does though.
Hearing today
Wondering if its Us ?
We have the cash .....
Is he worth a "cool" million a year? I'm not so sure. For a club like us where desperation has been part and parcel of many things, maybe we do have to pay big but maybe not that big. Once that million dollars is agreed to, then it sets a precedent for future players which one day we will see players getting paid $2M per year and so on. I don't like it.

It used to be that fullbacks/halves were the big money players. Forwards do a lot of the hard work but are not really game winners.

Then the question is who will we be able to get if we don't pay a million? That is the $1M question.