What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

CozDragon

Juniors
Sloane can play ressies I reckon, Gutho is unlikely to play every game either.. I think this is good for Sloane, something to work towards.. but tbh this is the preseason for him.. bulk up and see if it helps with the aerial contact and tackle breaking ability.

Gutho could also give us Centre coverage.. with Sloane coming back into f/back.. I feel just a lot better about our depth if he comes.

I didnt know how we would even spend our cap, but JAC/Gutho would chew up most of those extra dollars.. Lodge is necessary though.. atleast 1 proper prop... 2 would be great but we might need to wait for that.. see if we can move on Rava/Lawrie first.
I don't think it would be that bad salary cap wise actually.
There is a good chance Eels & dogs would be chipping in some of the money for their first year.
Gutho we could probably get for say 600k next year & Fox is on 500k at dogs so either they sack him and his value is whatever we think it is or they don't and chip in a bit.

Either way, both of them would not be on close to the money they currently are on after next year, I also think 500k for Fox is a fair price anyway.

Flanno has shown he will not overspend or sign on for longer than what we need.

CozDragon

Juniors
Wing is a funny one.. I rly think SFinau is first choice... Ctui just in front of Feagai/Allan.. although tbf Allan is an unknown quantity at this stage.. he might surprise us... Ravalawa I dont think will see first grade again.. and Ramsey I think is going to be centre or fback coverage if he makes it at all.
While I hope SFinau becomes first choice, even when he was available last year CTui was still chosen ahead of him.
i hope we do see him given a decent crack at first grade next year though, especially if nothing eventuates with Gutho or Fox.

TheRev

Coach
While I hope SFinau becomes first choice, even when he was available last year CTui was still chosen ahead of him.
i hope we do see him given a decent crack at first grade next year though, especially if nothing eventuates with Gutho or Fox.
Webb actually said on record SFinau was the first choice right winger, I rly think he is.. it was only his injuries that stopped him playing a tonne more footy in 2024.. he was the one that broke that panthers game open.. rly good start to his 1st grade career, heaps of PCM and workrate coming into his game in NSW Cup.. decent speed.. just crap injury timing.. I rly do think he is first choice on the right, left is another story.. it sort of opens up now Lomax is gone.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Eels grant Gutherson permission to speak to rival clubs immediately​

Sounds like Gutho not to happy with utility roll.

Tyrell Sloan and Josh Addo-Carr on the wing and Moses Suli with Valentine Holmes in the centres. The Dragons are in discussions with Addo-Carr’s management.

That would be a hugh upgrade to the backline. Two fast wingers and in my view Val an upgrade in the centre position.

We saw how much Lomax improved his game on the wing, can't see any reason why it can't work for Sloan.

May have to fork out a bit more the get King for next year.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
If anything it would make our backline quicker??? If Gutho signs, he goes to fullback and Sloan to wing. Both of them are quicker than Tuipolotu so it makes us quicker...

If the Addocarr talk is true then we could have a backline of Gutho, Sloan, Fox, Holmes and Suli. That is considerably quicker than our backline this year...

If Sloan requests a release because of that and does not see the huge benefit he could get from having someone like Gutho to learn from, then that is his decision. If he chooses to leave the first time he has actual competition and a genuine fullback to learn from, then it's for the best.
I just see it as a bad signing, like buying a beaten up old Datsun for your kids hoping it will last them a couple years.. smart by Ryles though to want to move on his $950k problem to someone else..wonder how much they are prepared to tip in..

CozDragon

Juniors
I just see it as a bad signing, like buying a beaten up old Datsun for your kids hoping it will last them a couple years.. smart by Ryles though to want to move on his $950k problem to someone else..wonder how much they are prepared to tip in..
Based on his efforts this year, I would hardly call him a beaten up old Datsun though.
It's not moving a 950K problem onto someone else though unless we offer to pay the full freight which i just can't see Flanno doing. If we get him for say 1.2m on a 2 year deal I really don't think there is a lot of downside. What he could provide Sloan's progression I think is too valuable.

CozDragon

Juniors
Webb actually said on record SFinau was the first choice right winger, I rly think he is.. it was only his injuries that stopped him playing a tonne more footy in 2024.. he was the one that broke that panthers game open.. rly good start to his 1st grade career, heaps of PCM and workrate coming into his game in NSW Cup.. decent speed.. just crap injury timing.. I rly do think he is first choice on the right, left is another story.. it sort of opens up now Lomax is gone.
I hope so, i have always rated him.

maestro1

Bench

Tyrell Sloan and Josh Addo-Carr on the wing and Moses Suli with Valentine Holmes in the centres. The Dragons are in discussions with Addo-Carr’s management.

That would be a hugh upgrade to the backline. Two fast wingers and in my view Val an upgrade in the centre position.

We saw how much Lomax improved his game on the wing, can't see any reason why it can't work for Sloan.

Gutho to 6 is what would help this team out the most. He could then provide cover for Fullback and centre in the case where injuries hit or Sloane doesn't progress

maestro1

Bench
Even if Hunt stays, I think he would allow King Gutho more freedom of playmaking that he does for KFlann, LKT or Marske. He could let Gutho do more kicking and concentrate on his own running, ad-lib game where he is one of the best in the NRL. A freed up Hunt is NRL marquee level.
A spine of Sloane (improved), Gutho, Hunt, Cook/Liddle is pretty damn fine.

This then allows LKT to be brought along nice and slowly and it buys us time to replace our spine with some of the excellent kids coming through.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Gutho would be good in several positions OR even as a No14.
His experience would be priceless on field.
Could even take the captaincy of slacker hunt and give it to gutho.
But that would mean 80mins play for him. I’m not sure he’s got it in him.
He was pretty banged up this last season but pissing in the wind for Parra would do that to a guy.

Either way. Penrith set a new standard this year which everyone needs to adjust to.
We are way off. And I mean WAY off.

But thanks to Flano we are improving

TheRev

Coach
Sloane has a two year contract at $500k and there is not a team in the comp who would match that.
not only that, but noone is giving him a starting jersey.. some clubs have 2-3 blokes starting before he would.. this is still his best shot.. plus Gutho could cop a leg injury in round 1 or get called into other positions.. this is by far Sloanes best shot.. plus hes already here.. bough a house didnt he.. train hard, bulk up.. get better and force Flannos hand.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I see value in getting Lodge - big boy, still playing well, needs the money so should be motivated.

I don't particularly want Gutho but he might go OK as a 5/8. I read he was offered the utility role at Parra and didn't want it, so whatever we want him for, it can't be as a utility or he just won't be motivated. If we're stupid enough to try that, there's a big risk he will take the money but play like he's in retirement mode.

As for Addo-Carr, he has flat out lied to the face of his employer and as a result wasn't available for his teams biggest game of the year. I don't want him if we're trying to build a winning culture.

Montoya also rumoured to be going to the Dogs.
Sounds like JAC is definitely going to be looking for a new club in 2025.

Nothing wrong with a beaten up old Datsun, JubileeJeffro. I had a 180B back in the day. Sunroof, mag wheels and a CB radio. I was the envy of the western suburbs. It even had a little knob you pulled out and the accelerator pedal went down. Bit like a manual cruise control. Ah, those were the days.

Latest posts