What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
That is correct and a NRL problem which no one talks about. The talent is thinning out across the game because all levels have to try and somewhat forced to mimic NRL playing level styles and is pushing kids and parents away unless someone is strong or big and of athletic build and shape.which leads to less product for lower grades of NRL clubs. Kids these days have plenty of other things to do or get into and they are doing it.
And the media and some have agendas about expansion....cant happen and not enough players for that level.
This is the reason there is a couple of super clubs cashed up who will be able to keep the best NRL talent across the board and continue to hang round the Top 8 each year.
If you cant match them financially like the Dragons, Titans etc are not ATM....the result will be the same every season.
RL in Australia is just like it is everywhere else namely played in a few areas but TBH not that big a sport.
It was once the "working mans" sport, well the working man to day is a far different person to the dockside workers, manufacturing labourers, council workers that were the backbone of RL support from its inception..
With the decline in all those jobs the supporter base thinned right out and all said in done its strong hold was Sydney namely the NSWRL and Qld were the poor country cousins.
For all the hype about how good RL is Qld have gone from 1 team to 2 teams and a basket case on the Gold Coast so SFA expansion in a state that dominated after the introduction of SOO.
If you cant grow it in a state that was the dominant force then no f**king hope of growing it anywhere else.
The RL code of today is experiencing the same death throw for teams to day as it did for Glebe, Cumberland, Uni, Newtown, Norths.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
RL in Australia is just like it is everywhere else namely played in a few areas but TBH not that big a sport.
It was once the "working mans" sport, well the working man to day is a far different person to the dockside workers, manufacturing labourers, council workers that were the backbone of RL support from its inception..
With the decline in all those jobs the supporter base thinned right out and all said in done its strong hold was Sydney namely the NSWRL and Qld were the poor country cousins.
For all the hype about how good RL is Qld have gone from 1 team to 2 teams and a basket case on the Gold Coast so SFA expansion in a state that dominated after the introduction of SOO.
If you cant grow it in a state that was the dominant force then no f**king hope of growing it anywhere else.
The RL code of today is experiencing the same death throw for teams to day as it did for Glebe, Cumberland, Uni, Newtown, Norths.
YET it is the most overall watched winter game on TV and has been for years ?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

As long as the game attracts the majority of people, it will continue.
It might not prosper but it will continue.
If the number go from the majority to the minority, it will sink like a dead weight.
Why?
Because it is being ruined by self-serving imbeciles who have complete disregard for the game itself, but pander to the bleeding hearts society to be seen to be doing the right thing, whatever that may be.
No scrums, new rules, more monitoring, more delays, more tv suited times.......... lets play the GF at midnight cause the channel 9 wants it then.

Yep, we might have the numbers now but time will tell.

LINESPEED

Juniors
It's one of my theories. Show everyone that the assistant coaches are running the show.Next will be team selections taken away from him as well. Embarrass McGregor to resign.All this to save a year's pay.

I tend to agree with your theory DP.
Despite the spin, it must already be a massive embarrassment for McGoner to have Flanno & Shepherd zimmerframing him

Flanno is a tough & uncompromising campaigner who would not in all reality submit himself to the dictates of a fool - without a face saving Plan B.
Shepherd could be Flanno’s direct conduit to team selection & game plan, without incurring the wrath of the NRL

But this plan would rely on McCur not throwing them under the bus, just so he can collect his pay for the year.

Hmmm...there’s something afoot - and Mc Waste-a-Year’s demeanour & garbled nonsense atm suggests so

This scenario also assumes, as you say, that the Gordon’s are tight as, and without a professional or ethical compass imo

Something tells me that the retention of Lomax & a couple of those top juniors was predicated on their knowledge of McGoner’s future absence - you know, a nod & a wink.

Anyway we’ll know if the above is all conspiracy theory if Turnstile & Laughy trot out Round 1

...cause nuffin willa changed in 5 desperate years ...
& we’ll be Tigerr scat.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
I tend to agree with your theory DP.
Despite the spin, it must already be a massive embarrassment for McGoner to have Flanno & Shepherd zimmerframing him

Flanno is a tough & uncompromising campaigner who would not in all reality submit himself to the dictates of a fool - without a face saving Plan B.
Shepherd could be Flanno’s direct conduit to team selection & game plan, without incurring the wrath of the NRL

But this plan would rely on McCur not throwing them under the bus, just so he can collect his pay for the year.

Hmmm...there’s something afoot - and Mc Waste-a-Year’s demeanour & garbled nonsense atm suggests so

This scenario also assumes, as you say, that the Gordon’s are tight as, and without a professional or ethical compass imo

Something tells me that the retention of Lomax & a couple of those top juniors was predicated on their knowledge of McGoner’s future absence - you know, a nod & a wink.

Anyway we’ll know if the above is all conspiracy theory if Turnstile & Laughy trot out Round 1

...cause nuffin willa changed in 5 desperate years ...
& we’ll be Tigerr scat.

Mcfakenews quote that Flanagan has coached a side to a wooden spoon will not go down well at all , and if there isn't a retraction i can just see things boiling over on the training paddock. it will be a shit fight that the board will ignore until it gets right out of control. But again i still cant help feeling that the Board's plan ( if they have one for once ! ) is to do nothing as , contractually , the season proper has to start before they can make changes.

George Dragon

Juniors
Heard today that Flanno will be having plenty of input into how the football team plays/operates this year. PLENTY.
That's contrary to everything I have heard and seen.
To me Mary has overall control.
Young his right hand runnng the side.
Shepherd attack
Flanno defence.
Why would Flanno risk a life ban oversteping his sanctions to help Mary out.

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
The wheels are turning slowly but they are turning.
Let hope it happens sooner than later.

Prophetic, rumour or prediction for Round 1 2020 in the last quoted paragraph?

“The old line used to be he has the full support of the board, which you knew when that was uttered that you were a dead man walking,” Kent said.

“Now the moment they say there is going to be a review, the fact that they believe there is a need for a review seems to indicate there is a need for a new coach.”
(Lol - unless it’s a bestie doing a sham review)

Rothfield believes a fan backlash is responsible for the pressure that McGregor is under.

“I think they have had a massive fan backlash on social media and the stories about the Mary Mcgregor banners,” Rothfield said.

“I think they are reacting to a bit of fan pressure, but that performance yesterday against the Tigers just added to it”.

Lol - “a BIT of fan pressure?

How about results & performance pressure Phil?

We do matter it seems Mary

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
AFL a much better spectacle live thus the huge crowds they generate at some club games.
Regardless of how well RL rates on TV it does not help with its expansion and it will remain a small and potentially dwindling sport despite all the rhetoric.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
AFL a much better spectacle live thus the huge crowds they generate at some club games.
Regardless of how well RL rates on TV it does not help with its expansion and it will remain a small and potentially dwindling sport despite all the rhetoric.

Agree OT.
AFL live is a pretty impressive beast. There is definitely a tribal following of supporters akin to Soccer in the UK. Add to this, goingvto an AFL game you get approx 2hrs (or more) of game time and half time you can watch Auskick with youngsters on the big stage. Its a full day outing.
As for NRL, it will always he more of a spectacle on TV with the playing time of (approx) 80 mins and the game style is made for TV.

Old Timer

Coach
l’d like to see him run the water a bit more. Can’t have too much aqua!
I can imagine Mc Fookknuckle saying

"Hey Flanno you can run out on the field with the water bottle and magic sponge just like Alfie does for the Broncocs that way you get a bit of bonding with the boys"

Behind Flanno's back Mc Fookknuckle sniggers and says to Deano
"Thats all that spoon winner is good for bla bla bla"

Moving forward Flanno gets his message across rather than chrome domes and the team responds positively and looks like a real footy team.

Mc Fookknuckle then says

"Hey Flanno you look really tired, give me the water bottles and sponge I'll do that for you and you have a rest up here in the box and see if you can teach that loser Deano something I told the BOD we should have kept Benny and boy haven't the boys responded well to all my hard work"

Latest posts