What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Awesome stuff OT. I always felt the true test of a drivers ability was whether he could race a HD Holden and live.
Dad had a brand new HD wagon but not the X2
The cigarette lighter was standard and the Astor radio and aerial optional extras
Handled like a bag of shit and was almost entirely rebuilt under warranty
Shame that rust wasn’t covered under warranty otherwise we would have had a brand new car lol

avocado

Juniors
So, the rumour is that our players will be receiving cars as part of their new package.
Backline - Torana xu1's
Forwards - leyland p76's
Bench - mini's

New recruits can only get a free jetski ride......while coach lasts!!!
Back in the day we called it the Leyland P38 cos it was only half the car it was meant to be.
Despite being able to fit a 44 gallon drum in the boot (yes I tried it) they were a piece of shit.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, Please excuse my ignorance, being a babyboomer, l guess l should know the answer but l don't.
Please explain why police cars were registered in the month of March?
A good question of which i don’t really know the answer
I suspect back then governments operated under rigid contracts namely
we hold police cars for 3 years or the like and the tender is for all new cars to be delivered on the 1 day so it repeats itself year in year out with the fleet turning completely over within that 3 year period
and it ensured availability

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So, the rumour is that our players will be receiving cars as part of their new package.
Backline - Torana xu1's
Forwards - leyland p76's
Bench - mini's

New recruits can only get a free jetski ride......while coach lasts!!!

Nowadays, with no local production, overseas models flood our team.

We already have a Saab, a Rav and a few others in our team.

l think we also have a boat, being that we have a Sailor on our books.

Ok, ok...... I’m going now.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Dad had a brand new HD wagon but not the X2
The cigarette lighter was standard and the Astor radio and aerial optional extras
Handled like a bag of shit and was almost entirely rebuilt under warranty
Shame that rust wasn’t covered under warranty otherwise we would have had a brand new car lol

My first car was a $800 HR Premier but have often read about the HD front guards being called, ‘Pedestrian slicers’.
Anyone heard as such?

Sorry to veer off topic.... pardon the pun.

Gareth67

First Grade
My first car was a $800 HR Premier but have often read about the HD front guards being called, ‘Pedestrian slicers’.
Anyone heard as such?

Sorry to veer off topic.... pardon the pun.

Off topic ? Hell its still the silly season so nothing is off topic OKB1 , but to your question I never heard the ‘ pedestrian slicers ‘ myself . But hey you must had saved your pennies to be able to afford an HR Premier - one of the better cars that Holden ever made .

What was mine I hear you say , a hand painted FB Holden station wagon with a chrome plated rocker cover and carburetor - it made it go an extra 1 mph faster ( downhill only of course ) . I believe I paid $ 100 for the beauty , great 1st car to get some driving experience for a young fella .

Drakon

Juniors
Off topic ? Hell its still the silly season so nothing is off topic OKB1 , but to your question I never heard the ‘ pedestrian slicers ‘ myself . But hey you must had saved your pennies to be able to afford an HR Premier - one of the better cars that Holden ever made .

What was mine I hear you say , a hand painted FB Holden station wagon with a chrome plated rocker cover and carburetor - it made it go an extra 1 mph faster ( downhill only of course ) . I believe I paid $ 100 for the beauty , great 1st car to get some driving experience for a young fella .
EJ Holden here. Did the big ends outside Mudgee on a trip. Sounded like a machine gun! Had to stop and sleep in the car for the night with 2 mates and drive on the next morning to a friend's farm. A few days later, train overnight back to Sydney and straight to tech. Picked it up the next weekend on a car trailer and changed the engine.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
EJ Holden here. Did the big ends outside Mudgee on a trip. Sounded like a machine gun! Had to stop and sleep in the car for the night with 2 mates and drive on the next morning to a friend's farm. A few days later, train overnight back to Sydney and straight to tech. Picked it up the next weekend on a car trailer and changed the engine.
Sounds very similar to my HD wagon I did the big end near lithgow, filled the engine with sump oil and crawled back to kogarah, REPCO engine and got another 2years

avocado

Juniors
HD stood for hastily designed. HR hastily rectified. One of Holden’s worst replaced by their best.

I once bought a Charger for $700 with a f**ked clutch. Replaced the clutch and sold it for a profit of $500. 5 hunj was 3 weeks wages back then.
In hindsight a f**king stupid decision.

Bench
My first car was a Holden, then I stepped up to a Mazda RX2. That was a very fast car, but it had rust around front and rear windows.
The engine had to be treated like a baby, if you didn’t to that the seals in the engine frayed. I got that beast up to 116 mph on the Gosford freeway.

slippery5

Juniors
My first car was a Holden, then I stepped up to a Mazda RX2. That was a very fast car, but it had rust around front and rear windows.
The engine had to be treated like a baby, if you didn’t to that the seals in the engine frayed. I got that beast up to 116 mph on the Gosford freeway.
Ok, since we are boasting, I once got my first car (SLR 5000) up to 170km/h in 3rd gear along Heathcote Rd.
Yes, I do thank the Lord I'm still here & ask how did my parents let me buy that car while still on my "Ls"????

Gareth67

First Grade

Sounds very similar to my HD wagon I did the big end near lithgow, filled the engine with sump oil and crawled back to kogarah, REPCO engine and got another 2years

I believe that one of the good points about those early model Holdens was that they made us all more knowledgeable about just what was under the hood and perhaps made some us into a half decent mechanic that could do our own repairs.

Last edited: