The Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by John moz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. denis preston

denis preston First Grade

Yes agree but Graham wasn't the glue holding things together.More like the opportunist not wanting to really say it as it was as to not burn bridges. His public backing of Mcmuppet was probably getting up players noses and was more to do with his media career then anything else. I tip he will come back and get a job in the media or at worst assistant coach.Not the first player we signed up on obviously a downward path. Just disappointing we repeated this with Merrin , but for all we know he may be on a cheap contract ( or i hope he is ! )

Jeremy Dragon likes this.
  2. denis preston

denis preston First Grade

This Haran is a real mystery man for a bloke in such a high profile job. Helensberg boy who worked in the Melbourne storm system for a while ? Anything else anybody here can add ?

3. muzby

muzby Village Idiot Staff Member

I’ve been disappointed with Merrin..

He’s a husk of the player he was when he left us..

Never been a big fan of bringing back a player once they’ve gone (Gaz excluded)..

That being said, Rein had a good relationship with Hook, didn’t he?

/duck

Dragon David and mightydragon like this.
  4. RedVDave

RedVDave Bench

I think the game has gotten to fast for Merrin a shell of what he used to be.

5. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

If people were truly honest about Graham they would know that there would be lucky to be 2 moments in the entire time he was with us where he would have a "highlight" added to his days at the dogs and those moments would be of him chasing an opposition player back to our goal line and probably him frothing at the mouth at Dufty.

6. BLM01

BLM01 First Grade

He’s been involved in our pathways as a junior talent scout under Mullholland, he has been part of recruitment, our club football manager and Yes he has been shuffled around a few gigs moving his way up to now GM but it is more of an operational admin role co-ordinating transitions and welfare of staff snd players
    Not really a decision maker here In regards to overseeing coach or player performance or recruitment and retention

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Jeremy Dragon and denis preston like this.
  7. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

.....Well least Dufty improved the following year.

8. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Also with his body size/shape he needs to be playing regularly. The more football the better...etc; this in and out stuff with no reserve grade doesn’t help his cause; cant get enough football to get form; real paradox.

9. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

He had some good moments where he put on some footwork. Who knows with a good off season and the CC comp hopefully up and running he may be able to add something next year.

Dragonsteve2 and Inisai Toga like this.
  10. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Well if Griffin is as tough as they say, it sounds like he’ll be fit, so you never know; hope your right! Love to see Dufty be encouraged to follow him a bit more when hits the line.

ALSGI likes this.
  11. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

Bottom line, very few players go the ESL and come back better players- they've usually gone because they've reached their use by date here and can't cut it anymore- which is why Millward's decision to sign both Merrin and Williame is so inexplicable.

12. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Mmm; not sure it’s that dramatic regarding signing Merrin. He wasn’t going that bad at Penrith before he left. Wouldn’t have paid overs so I can see their perspective. Kerr and Lawrie etc still had plenty of chances so he hasn’t blocked their opportunity.

13. Como Connection

Como Connection Bench

Probably Mary's I say!
    CC

getsmarty likes this.
  14. kit66

kit66 Juniors

Merrin was a very good player early on for us with a great off-load if you remember but then along came first Price then Mary who worked their magic, the off-loads suddenly stopped and Merrin became less effective ( along with a few other team mates ). He was never the same after he went to Penrith and I can't see him miraculously regaining form next year, I'd love to see it but I know I won't.

Mjab and St George's Lance like this.
  15. muzby

This is probably my most favourite Merrin thing ever:

16. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Don’t you love these ‘young school’ coaches...brilliant idea

Mjab and kit66 like this.
  17. redv13

redv13 Juniors

If Merrin put the same effort in on the field as he does with his ridiculous dance moves then he’d be killing it

Coffs dragon likes this.
  18. muzby

You’re thinking of Nathan Cleary..

Como Connection likes this.
  19. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

47EFC3B3-202D-422B-9055-4A2D4871FBCA.jpeg
    ED3B000E-CA6D-414E-81BA-AB9303619242.jpeg

It would appear that the old war-horse Jimmy Graham ( apparently not every forum members ideal forward ) still has what it takes , unfortunately it this instance it was a referee . I can only assume that Jimmy boy did not agree with the refs decision ! :flushed:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  20. Kylez3

Kylez3 Juniors

Merrin has had one of the biggest declines I've ever seen in a player. At his peak he was starting 13 for the NSW team but not long ago he was absolutely stinking it up in the SuperLeague despite only being 30 years of age.

What an embarrassment and waste.