What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

The Word

Juniors
Jack was named in the NSW cup team of the year. That suggests to me he DID roll his sleeves up and try to get his spot back. And if he didn’t offer more than Aaron Woods I’ll eat my hat. Too many stories like this getting out now. Don’t defend this clown of a coach.
Agree it looks like he got back to work in the reserves and did well. But are we really suggesting that as a 95kg backrower he should've been picked ahead of Woods to play prop forward?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Another dejected St George Illawarra Dragon has broken his silence about his shock exile this season that strangely followed what should have been the proudest moment of his young life.
Jack Gosiewski has revealed how he did not play another game of NRL after withdrawing from a match in round 11 due to complications relating to the birth of his first born baby, little Goldie.

Coming on the back of George Burgess’ explosive revelations about how he fell out with coach Anthony Griffin at the troubled NRL club, Gosiewski opened up about his very personal story of heartbreak that has now left his own career at the crossroads.

But he maintains he is still at a loss to explain how he fell out of favour with Griffin so spectacularly immediately after he was forced to make the toughest call off his rugby league career.

A battling young forward who moved to the Dragons from Manly this season on the promise of playing more consistent NRL, Gosiewski had played four games in the opening 10 rounds and was set to start in round 11 against the Warriors only for it to coincide with the baby’s arrival.

Gosiewski and partner Avalon had wanted to make it a “home birth” but it didn’t go as smoothly as hoped when Avalon was rushed to hospital the day before the game.

“We were set to play on the Saturday and we ended up having our son on the Friday,’ Gosiewski recalled.

“My missus went through pretty much two full nights of labour at home and then on the Friday morning we ended up going to the hospital and she ended up having a C-section.

“So I had missed captain’s run and the game was the next day.

“Because of what I had been through emotionally and physically, like I pretty much hadn’t slept for two days and then obviously the stress of having the C-section and going to the hospital was a lot, I thought that I would try and do the right thing by the team.”

But that decision backfired badly when the following week he not only lost his spot in the starting team but was wiped from the top 17 altogether.

Sadly, that ended up being the case for the remainder of the season, with Gosiewski not playing another NRL game.

This was despite the fact his form was good enough to win him a spot in the NSW Cup team of the year.

“If it was a once in a lifetime game like a grand final or a prelim I probably would have played,” he continued.

“But it was mid-year and I was trying to put the team first by putting someone fresher in.

“I didn’t want to go out there and let myself down or let the team down so I put them first, and obviously my family.”

Asked if he felt the decision was the catalyst for his exile, he added: “I don’t want to sit here and say yes but it … I don’t know. That’s the reality.

“It was just tough for me to go from a starting position to not even thereabouts for the rest of the year. Not even in the 22. I wasn’t even in the picture.”

He said he had “numerous chats” with Griffin but could never work out why he never got another go.

“After that when I was playing reserve grade and playing really good footy, I would ask, ‘How am I going? What am I doing good?’

“Pretty much the conversation would be, ‘You are doing really good, just keep doing what you are doing’.

“But that ended up to me having a four-month-old child and two pay cheques left and no contract. You know what I mean?

“I didn’t think it would end up panning out the way it did. It obviously has and here I am.”

Asked to comment on speculation the Dragons are suffering from a toxic culture and player unrest after reports only three players turned up at the recent presentation night, Gosiewski said: “I don’t want to talk about that.

“I am just going to talk about what happened to me.

“I am not disappointed that I have got a beautiful healthy boy.

“But it would have been my biggest game for the year because if I had played decent in that game, which I am sure I would have, I would have stayed there.

“I was playing really good footy.

“I feel like at any other club I would have been playing NRL.

“And it is just that decision that sort of haunts me.

“My missus was begging me to play because she knew how big of a game it was for me.

“Like, I would never change the decision, even knowing what the outcome was.

“I would happily do that again.

“But I thought the next week I would be back on the bench and everything would be sweet.

“It is a cutthroat business.”
Wow 🙄

Maddragon99

Juniors

I always rated Nathan Fien, good player & a better clubman. Well he’s now off to Redcliffe to assist Bennett after winning 4 comps in the Illawarra.

If he’s thought of so highly by Wayne you’d have wonder why we didn’t pursue him given that we were looking for assistant coaches & a KOE coach as well. Unbelievable

Yow

Juniors
Yow, from the games I saw Gowieski play in NSW Cup I thought he was very strong, in fact too good for that level. He had not set the world on fire in NRL but at the time it was very hard to understand why Woods was constantly picked ahead of players like Gowieski and Josh Kerr. On the other hand I was disappointed that any games Burgess played he was denying a local junior a game.

Gowieski's revelations over his withdrawal from the Warriors and the consequences for him is a shocking story. Actually it borders on the horrifying, in terms of total lack of empathy for an employee by his boss. To me, this claim needs full examination by the club and if Griffin can't disprove the claim he deserves to bshown the door immediately.

Yow, from the games I saw Gowieski play in NSW Cup I thought he was very strong, in fact too good for that level. He had not set the world on fire in NRL but at the time it was very hard to understand why Woods was constantly picked ahead of players like Gowieski and Josh Kerr. On the other hand I was disappointed that any games Burgess played he was denying a local junior a game.

Gowieski's revelations over his withdrawal from the Warriors and the consequences for him is a shocking story. Actually it borders on the horrifying, in terms of total lack of empathy for an employee by his boss. To me, this claim needs full examination by the club and if Griffin can't disprove the claim he deserves to be shown the door immediately.
No problem you must have seen more games than me i basing my comments on the games we got on fox.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

I always rated Nathan Fien, good player & a better clubman. Well he’s now off to Redcliffe to assist Bennett after winning 4 comps in the Illawarra.

If he’s thought of so highly by Wayne you’d have wonder why we didn’t pursue him given that we were looking for assistant coaches & a KOE coach as well. Unbelievable
Bennett thought highly of Chinless and he got the gig after Bennett left. Saints never recovered since that debacle in the coaching ranks.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Does Bud know that next year is 2023? He still can be the No.7 in 2024? Saints have not really lied to him as 2023 can be used to give him more experience to NRL. It is the Bulldogs clearly driving this promising him more than what Saints are for 2023. Why is the NRL not stepping in seeing every article with Bud has the Dogs "waiting in the wings to see what happens" or "monitoring the situation" inserted which is clear he is tapped up.

For Gus to want him this bad that is a sign even more for Saints to keep him.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Bennett thought highly of Chinless and he got the gig after Bennett left. Saints never recovered since that debacle in the coaching ranks.
Yes that’s true. But Fien has a better background than chinless given his playing career & coaching record in our local competitions. Possibly a crafty old halfback like Fien would be able placate Sullivan?

Dragon David

First Grade

Yes, unbelievable. Our head honchos just sleep too much after a heavy lunch and a few ales and before they know it, the day is over and it's deja vu the next days. They cannot see what is best for the club and the coach for the KOE Cup for next year is in their too hard baskets.

Qdf

Juniors
Don't wait, sack Hook now.
Why waste another season on this muppet. He's no good as a coach. Has definitely lost the dressing room.What are these clowns running our club waiting for? Questions must be asked, of these idiots on our Board. What was their reasoning in selecting a coach, with such a bad record with juniors coming through ( at Penrith).
Why not rid ourselves of this
Coach now. Why not appoint
a new coach NOW, & not waste another season. I'm sure we would see a much improved 2023 from our players with Hook not coaching our team.

jak

Bench
Does Bud know that next year is 2023? He still can be the No.7 in 2024? Saints have not really lied to him as 2023 can be used to give him more experience to NRL. It is the Bulldogs clearly driving this promising him more than what Saints are for 2023. Why is the NRL not stepping in seeing every article with Bud has the Dogs "waiting in the wings to see what happens" or "monitoring the situation" inserted which is clear he is tapped up.

For Gus to want him this bad that is a sign even more for Saints to keep him.
yes yes yes, great post mate

slippery5

Juniors
Or foster a culture such that people want to attend.

Young's big draw of a free feed was embarrassing to read and just showed how spectacularly out of touch he is. Not having to pay for dinner was probably a nice perk in the 80s. For players earning hundreds of thousands, the club might need to stump up something more meaningful than the chicken or the beef. Perhaps like feeling a valued member of a collective rather than just a supporting cast to a chosen few.
Not to mention the "Drinking Part"

slippery5

Juniors
Why waste another season on this muppet. He's no good as a coach. Has definitely lost the dressing room.What are these clowns running our club waiting for? Questions must be asked, of these idiots on our Board. What was their reasoning in selecting a coach, with such a bad record with juniors coming through ( at Penrith).
a new coach NOW, & not waste another season. I'm sure we would see a much improved 2023 from our players with Hook not coaching our team.
Young will not let anything jeopardise Dean returning in Y24, so unless Dean is granted a release for a head coaching roll, Craig Young will not employ another coach in the interim, as it would be on a 2-3 yr deal ruling out a return by the chosen one.

Mojo

Bench
Young will not let anything jeopardise Dean returning in Y24, so unless Dean is granted a release for a head coaching roll, Craig Young will not employ another coach in the interim, as it would be on a 2-3 yr deal ruling out a return by the chosen one.
But, someone’s gotta be the coach. At least Dean will have some experience - and he’s not Hook!
I don’t think the argument ‘he’s keeping hook so Dean can come later’ stacks up. If he‘s genuinely that dominant and Machiavellian he would‘t give a rats arse who the coach is for ‘23.

slippery5

Juniors
But, someone’s gotta be the coach. At least Dean will have some experience - and he’s not Hook!
I don’t think the argument ‘he’s keeping hook so Dean can come later’ stacks up. If he‘s genuinely that dominant and Machiavellian he would‘t give a rats arse who the coach is for ‘23.
Don't get me wrong , I'm an advocate for Dean, I thought he was impressive with his honesty in post match interviews while he was our interim coach.
Actually a lot of similarities to Payton so maybe that's why he was scouted by him.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Don't get me wrong , I'm an advocate for Dean, I thought he was impressive with his honesty in post match interviews while he was our interim coach.
Actually a lot of similarities to Payton so maybe that's why he was scouted by him.
I have to be honest I don’t care who our next coach is, as long as it’s not Hook.

Apart from Bennett you can’t predict who will succeed or not. Many including me thought Griffin would have been a good fit with his focus on youth, defence & discipline, unfortunately he’s been a disaster, we are a mess!

If Des is available I’d be happy with that, if not I’d be happy with Deano in 2024. Anyone who has the guts to shift Hunt to 9 so we can keep Sullivan.

I’m so frustrated & it’s only October, at least the cricket starts soon.

mickeylane

Bench
Most likely wont be sacked yet as Dean Young has one more year on his contract w Cowboys...i feel he's the coach the club (Chairman) wants hence why Hook got the extra year to accommodate another dose of club nepotism ....i did hear that Young will bring Robson w him in 2024...not sure all about this but this looks like the grand plan...could all be scuppered if pressure keeps building on hook and hes released before Xmas...

thebigredv

First Grade
I have to be honest I don’t care who our next coach is, as long as it’s not Hook.

Apart from Bennett you can’t predict who will succeed or not. Many including me thought Griffin would have been a good fit with his focus on youth, defence & discipline, unfortunately he’s been a disaster, we are a mess!

If Des is available I’d be happy with that, if not I’d be happy with Deano in 2024. Anyone who has the guts to shift Hunt to 9 so we can keep Sullivan.

I’m so frustrated & it’s only October, at least the cricket starts soon.
In my first decade of supporting the Dragons I thought our players were so good we could win despite the coach.

In the next decade I realised how important a coach is to getting the job done during finals. We all witnessed it when we landed Wayne. He brought his aura with him as well as his brains.

Now I've come to realise that the coach is irrelevant if the head of house purports a bad culture and a raft of idiotic, cowardice and unprofessional decisions which impact on everyone's experience of being a supporter.

No coach with any credibility wants to touch this club on account of the board.

Webb and the board have worked tirelessly to drive us into the ground with their gutless and silently stubborn approach to running a footy club, so bereft of IQ it's a wonder how we ever let it fall this far.

Detonate the place and start again before the Dragons die. Although he's not helping the situation we have to look beyond the coach to find the solution to this absolutely embarrassing shambles.