What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
As I keep saying the damage of the last decade is going to take a few years to clean up AND that is assuming we make all the right decisions on all aspects of the football operation over the next 2-3 years.

Unfortunately the same ghastly idiots making those very decisions (Gordon, Doust, Young etc) are the same imbeciles who have been making the key decisions over the last 10 years. These are the same goons who said to us in 2018 when extending McGregor's contracts that "we undertook a comprehensive review of all coaches in the game and came to the conclusion that our Paul is best candidate by far. We consider him a career coach". And they said that with a straight face. Upon that decision and supporting statement they all should have sought an immediate and urgent psychiatric evaluation.

You try to keep the faith, you really try and then the reality sinks in:

i. Andrew Gordon is still Chairman
ii. Peter Doust is still a Director
iii. Craig Young is still a Director.

It really is bleak.
The Psychiatric evaluation goes both ways unfortunately Rob- perhaps we, the keyboard warriors who feel this mob is worth supporting, are the masochists who need to be checked.

St Tangles

Bench
And players will go to Sharks for unders because they know what they will be capable of under strong management with the roster they are putting together.
The absolute opposite of Dragons.
Far out MCInnes must be so happy he did his ACL and didn’t have to tarnish his reputation with us this year, he goes to Sharks with his head held high, he got out just in time, same for Tyson.
I do agree they are putting together a strong roster and their managment is doing a much better job than ours but who went there for unders?

They paid good money for Finucane.

They paid good money for Hynes (may work out a good deal if he succeeds out of the Storm system).

They paid market value for McInnes.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I do agree they are putting together a strong roster and their managment is doing a much better job than ours but who went there for unders?

They paid good money for Hynes (may work out a good deal if he succeeds out of the Storm system).

Agreed.

The other big thing for the Sharks will be how their rookie coach Fitzy goes.

I think the general rule is assistants don't always make the best head coaches (Bellamy aside). I still remember Fitzy having a good cry when we lost the grand final in 99 and again in 2000 when the roosters lost, so I don't associate him with a great deal of success in his playing days either!!

They've paid overs for a few of their signings with the hope they will deliver outside of the Storm system and if things don't click for them quickly the pressure will mount, interesting times.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

The Sharks are an enigma wrapped in a puzzle- a club with so many off field issues including the infamous drug episodes but more recently chaotic sackings/resignations of CEOs and coaches ends up with the most promising young coach in the game and the most sought after players- they must have found a drug that makes everyone forget!

Tiger Shark

Bench
The Sharks are an enigma wrapped in a puzzle- a club with so many off field issues including the infamous drug episodes but more recently chaotic sackings/resignations of CEOs and coaches ends up with the most promising young coach in the game and the most sought after players- they must have found a drug that makes everyone forget!
because even with all that we're still more appealing than you guys :p

BLM01

First Grade
Agreed.

The other big thing for the Sharks will be how their rookie coach Fitzy goes.

I think the general rule is assistants don't always make the best head coaches (Bellamy aside). I still remember Fitzy having a good cry when we lost the grand final in 99 and again in 2000 when the roosters lost, so I don't associate him with a great deal of success in his playing days either!!

They've paid overs for a few of their signings with the hope they will deliver outside of the Storm system and if things don't click for them quickly the pressure will mount, interesting times.
I think Fitzy had a great deal of success in his playing days
Just check out his record
Dragons should of kept him

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I think Fitzy had a great deal of success in his playing days
Just check out his record
Dragons should of kept him

Depends what you determine as success. He has a few individual accolades but only won the one premiership in 2002 as a player, played in 4 or 5 losing grand final teams. Not a whole lot of state of origin success either.

BLM01

First Grade
Depends what you determine as success. He has a few individual accolades but only won the one premiership in 2002 as a player, played in 4 or 5 losing grand final teams. Not a whole lot of state of origin success either.
1. One of the grand final teams was his Rookie year at Saints from the bench and won 1 from 3 at the Chooks, better than some
2. I think he played in a few origin winning series not all losing in the 00’s
3. He is a 300+ gamer and ask any Roosters supporter or official what they think if him
4. Your forget his Australian Test record

I think his record does speak for itself and not as bad as you initially made it
Plenty of players would take that record to the grave

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
1. One of the grand final teams was his Rookie year at Saints from the bench and won 1 from 3 at the Chooks, better than some
2. I think he played in a few origin winning series not all losing in the 00’s
3. He is a 300+ gamer and ask any Roosters supporter or official what they think if him
4. Your forget his Australian Test record

I think his record does speak for itself and not as bad as you initially made it
Plenty of players would take that record to the grave
Couldn't be bothered checking but one premiership is the same as the total for our entire squad isn't it?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I cannot remember a time Saints got a player once Sharks, Dogs or Tigers showed any interest. They are not a club players want to go to that is for sure unless it is last resort or unwanted by anyone e.g Norman, Bird, Maguire, Fuimanano, etc.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I cannot remember a time Saints got a player once Sharks, Dogs or Tigers showed any interest. They are not a club players want to go to that is for sure unless it is last resort or unwanted by anyone e.g Norman, Bird, Maguire, Fuimanano, etc.
yeh, but don’t believe those clubs are great reference points SM. Their recruitment has been crap over the last decade, paying way overs for some players that were never as good as the price they got with limited success. We did likewise for Norman as a desperate attempt to substitute for letting our captain go mid season and trying keeping hold on the team that the last coach ‘always wanted’. However, we've got two reasonable forwards coming next year that don’t seem to be last resort. 2 recent Origin players not too shabby in a market lacking a lot of real available quality.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There is no way around it we have to build around that Illawarra GF winning side, if they can stick together and combine well we will attract more players. We just need to build a core group.

Dragons4me

Juniors
because even with all that we're still more appealing than you guys :p

We went down the inexperienced coach road without success. Fitzy is an inexperienced coach who enjoyed the unlimited funds from Uncle Nick at the roosters. He won't have the same freedom at the gummies next year so I wouldn't be dusting the cobwebs away in your trophy cabinet just yet.

blacksafake

First Grade
We went down the inexperienced coach road without success. Fitzy is an inexperienced coach who enjoyed the unlimited funds from Uncle Nick at the roosters. He won't have the same freedom at the gummies next year so I wouldn't be dusting the cobwebs away in your trophy cabinet just yet.
I don’t think his record when coaching the country side was too flash either?