What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Brilliant recruitment by dogs over last two years. Even trialling players like Dufty and Naden who were worth a shot. Now watch Sullivan play half back for them and lift a trophy some time soon.

Meanwhile at the Dragons, let's bring back Mitch rein.
my Patience is running out with the Dragons who seem happy just to make up the Numbers , if Saints where making the right decisions to have a go at been that once mighty team again I would not give up on them, what do they wants us to do! I wont be wasting my money to serve a team wanting to make up the numbers

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
I think the contribution of assistant coaches are, on the whole, much overated.

Its the head coach that calls the shots and sets up structures etc. Dean Young is still unproven as a head coach, Barret is a proven failure. Potter on the other hand.......
Yet the Bulldogs have signed Ciraldo on a 5 year deal!

Dragon David

First Grade
I don't either
But they look Luke they will be heading in the right direction
Meanwhile we plod along
The following is old and new stuff.

Gus Gould has been the catalyst to change the culture and way forward since he was signed up by the Dogs as their General Manager of football. In 2021, Barrett didn't do at all well with coaching the Bulldogs and they only won 3 games and came last.

The club got together and decided to get Gould at the club to see where all the problem is/was and he pin pointed that the problem was with Barrett and they decided to give him the flick and pay him out and cut their losses. Before they did, they planned the future. Signing a couple of players (although it was Barrett who was able to get Kikau to play next year at the Dogs), looking at who could be the next coach and then going all out to get their man, which has now been signed, sealed and delivered from 2023.

Gould has tidied up the mess that was created for a number of years and going nowhere. Next year Gould will be looking at success from the get go. It would cost the club an absolute fortune to have to payout Ciraldo if he f**ks up.

In the meantime, we cannot tidy up the shit that has been shat over the past 10 years and doesn't look like that same shit will be cleaned up for the next 10 years because we do not have any strong leader like Gould to take the bullocks by the horns and ramming home what is needed to be done and doing it.

FlameThrower

Bench
Ben Hornby left us at the end of 2019 and joined Souths in 2020. He began his coaching career as the junior development coach and graduated to be an assistant coach under Mary McGregor which didn't go too well as we know. He is doing a pretty good job assisting Jason Demetriou at Souths as the attacking coach. Dean Young as we know is doing a great job at the Cowboys assisting Todd Payten as the defensive coach Shane Flanagan won a premiership and is our LIst Manager and helps with mentoring some of our junior players.

So all in all the three of them could go well as a team and I think much better than a Barrett, Brown and Hodges combo.
What about Michael Maguire?

thebigredv

First Grade
The Dogs are crazy - Mick Potter has got them playing better football than I've seen from them in years.
I'd have him in the top job at Saints in a moment.
Better yet make him our interim coach and let him keep the job if he achieves a bunch of KPI's in x amount of time. Reality is no coach but Griffin (and maybe Flannagan) looks at our squad and sees success.

Don't care how good Ciraldo is, 5 years is a mammoth length and knowing Gus, he might not last 2.

Dragon David

First Grade
All part of that bloated toad Gould's master plan.
Ciraldo to be a fail after 1.75 years and big know it all Gus gets to punt him and stay on even longer all the while squeezing the Bulldogs lemons.
I would love to see Gould's master plan collapse OT. Signing a rookie for 5 years, Gould must feel comfortable with Ciraldo's coaching abilities but of course that is how he has lured Ciraldo to that club and I'm wondering what get out clauses there are on both sides if things don't turn out.

I think that next year Ciraldo will have the team getting into finals and likely to improve in the second year. They will have a great squad for Ciraldo to work with. Will he have the same set up that he is accustomed to? His going to the Dogs would be based on "his terms" I would imagine because of his "demand".

The Bulldogs have always been my hate team for a very long time. I hated us playing them because they always beat us. Grrrrrrr.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Young won't return. He has another year left on NQL deal and he moved a young family up there less than 18 months ago. Don't think he will just pack up and return, most certainly not as an assistant coach to a failing club. Cowboys are in-line to win a premiership in the next few years.

It's the Dragons, of course Barrett will return. In fact, the Dragons can pick him up on the cheap, as I believe his gardening leave, or a large chunk of it only covers a head-coaching role.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Ciraldo is the most popular assistant coach I have ever heard of. 5 years is a big contract and shows a lot of faith. O'Brien and Siebold were also popular assistant coaches who were supposedly going to win their teams a comp and they did not really do much if anything made things worse.

Baz will be a top assistant. Heard good wraps on him. Panthers boys such as Burton and Kikau would not follow him if he was not a good coach so he has a great wrap. He may be able to take Sullivan, Sloan and Amone to the next level which will be awesome.

Is John Morris assistant anywhere? I would look to him for defense coach. He would be pretty good. Flanno's sidekick when he was the Sharks coach. I Think it will be perfect if Flanno does step in to have Baz and Morris as his assistants as they both have worked with him and he knows what they are like.

denis preston

First Grade
Ciraldo is the most popular assistant coach I have ever heard of. 5 years is a big contract and shows a lot of faith. O'Brien and Siebold were also popular assistant coaches who were supposedly going to win their teams a comp and they did not really do much if anything made things worse.

Baz will be a top assistant. Heard good wraps on him. Panthers boys such as Burton and Kikau would not follow him if he was not a good coach so he has a great wrap. He may be able to take Sullivan, Sloan and Amone to the next level which will be awesome.

Is John Morris assistant anywhere? I would look to him for defense coach. He would be pretty good. Flanno's sidekick when he was the Sharks coach. I Think it will be perfect if Flanno does step in to have Baz and Morris as his assistants as they both have worked with him and he knows what they are like.
Excellent points Slip. Just wish the Board was on your wavelength.

Latest posts