What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

twinkletoes

Juniors
Why wouldn't you put the boot into the club. The management have shown themselves to be incompetent in all key performance areas of running a successful football club over a long period of time. It's not as if we are criticising them for some recent ineptitudes..this has been ongoing for 12 years and all we hear at the end of each unsuccessful year is that we are not happy with where we are at as a football club and are taking steps to get us back to the top...they are deliberately misleading statements and if made by a corporate business to shareholders the directors would be halled before ASIC and prosecuted

Dragon David

First Grade
Why wouldn't you put the boot into the club. The management have shown themselves to be incompetent in all key performance areas of running a successful football club over a long period of time. It's not as if we are criticising them for some recent ineptitudes..this has been ongoing for 12 years and all we hear at the end of each unsuccessful year is that we are not happy with where we are at as a football club and are taking steps to get us back to the top...they are deliberately misleading statements and if made by a corporate business to shareholders the directors would be halled before ASIC and prosecuted
Right on twinkletoes!

Yow

Juniors
Jesus, talk about use anything to put the boot into the club. Do you know the terms on this funding at the time ? Webb has indicated at the Red V meeting that our debts were high at that stage and now we are financially secure, hence why we were ready for this funding now. One thing I will say is that this club is notorious for keeping things inhouse. This is great in some areas ( it got us bennett ) but very frustrating for us members who generally think the worse if we don't hear anything contrary .
With you on this Dennis

Mjab

Juniors
Yes it was a railing not a stand that collapsed .
So a couple of thousand bucks then , they can do a go fund me page
What The F are the Tigers doing with Leichardt anyway , they are supposed to play out of Bankwest aren't they, sharing with Parra??
So they want Bankwest , the Concord facility , Leichardt and something out Campbelltown way as well I assume, WTF ??

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Yes I'm feeling exactly the same, don't think it will be to far down the road the crowds will diminish altogether. The NRL is ruining our game. Crowd figures are getting worse each season. Without FANS the game is finished.
No fan likes the product the NRL is dishing up for NEWS LIMITED. MURDOCH is ruining the the game.Just like he said we think AFL is the number one game in Australia. We support them.
With this "Modern game"or orchestration by "referees for
Television " ratings, the game are losing FANS on a weekly basis. Not to long, in the not to distant future we won't have a game.
So true QDF

SGMax

Juniors
So a couple of thousand bucks then , they can do a go fund me page
What The F are the Tigers doing with Leichardt anyway , they are supposed to play out of Bankwest aren't they, sharing with Parra??
So they want Bankwest , the Concord facility , Leichardt and something out Campbelltown way as well I assume, WTF ??
Exactly! How does Leichhardt get preference?
Kogarah is within 20mins for about 5 NRL clubs and would be an option for soccer clubs as well. Not sure how it is that Kogarah and Brookvale are being given priority.

The Word

Juniors
Ok so in the unlikely event that Griffin gets the sack at the end of the season, and seeing as we're picking possible successors, I'll have a go.
Fitzgibbon would've been a great fit, but unfortunately timing meant that we couldn't get him.
In terms of the old boys club, Young doesn't come across as smart enough for the head coach role (sorry Deano), and I'm not sure Hornby has a big enough personality for it. I like both of them as players and people but don't think either of them are head coach material at NRL level.
Much as I think Trent Barrett is a great guy and player, I laughed my socks off when Manly gave him the top job and laughed even harder when the Dogs did the same. There is a huge difference in being a coach and being a head coach. I actually used to feel sorry for him sitting in the coaches box when his teams were getting smashed looking completely out of his depth.
In terms of who's available right now, and much as I hate to admit it, I think Flanagan is the obvious candidate. I don't really like him as a person, but he has a winning mentality and has a track record of putting together tough and aggressive football teams. I also think he is the type of leader who commands the respect of his players. I think this makes a difference and good coaches can get an extra 10% from a team where everyone is following the same coherent strategy.
I know the issues at Cronulla left a sour taste in the mouth but I think he's probably what we need right now. I'd give him a 3 year deal. As assistant coaches, Jamie Soward seems to have more football knowledge than anyone else at the club, so I'd insist he was part of the senior group, otherwise let him pick the others himself.
It 's probably fair to say that we look a bit better than before Griffin took over (not saying much I know). If Griffin stays next year, and can improve them a bit more, who knows, maybe we make the 8. I do think we have a better core group than we did before, but there are a lot or peripheral players who are not good enough. Clear our those guys, bring in 2 or 3 more good players, and fill the rest of the spots with young / development players and we may look a different prospect next year. If we retain Hunt for another couple of years on $500k less, start to rotate him with Sully, and spend the difference on another forward, we'd be better balanced. Obviously hooker issue has to be solved, maybe Hunt getting too long in the tooth for that so fingers crossed young Muhleisen is ready to go next year, maybe rotated with Mbye.
Sorry for going on a bit, haven't been on in a while.

qld redvee

Juniors
While I agree that Flanno seems a bit of a bastard. I think that he is what we need now. A hard bastard that will drag everyone into heading the same direction.
RV8
Flanno will at least get players fit and playing for each other . Also he seems to bring juniours through ( or manage to grab the right youngsters the sharks reserves just seem to keep bringing solid players through which enhances the total squad . Look at us take the top 30 players out of reserves and we look pretty ordinary . We need a coach that is pretty up to date and has ability to attract players And while Flanno is pretty well twiddling his thumbs on his current task lets give him a few more bucks and give him the gig

denis preston

First Grade
Because the club cant be accused of doing EVERYTHING wrong. A bit of balance would be nice. It has done a very good job getting it's finances in place , setting up the pathways system , cleaning our administrative area and junior development & recruitment. Have a look at some other clubs like the Titans, Tigers, Newcastle, Warriors etc.

Sure, I'm with you in that the club deserves criticism for sure and it is frustrating that some things don't or wont change even though there is no improvement on the field but criticising everything the club does ( like the whinge in the $10 meet the players breakfast ) , for me that loses credibility in itself.

Gareth67

First Grade
A lot of grounds are council owned shouldn’t the local council in Leichhardt fixed the railing before hand that’s why you pay rent for the ground
Yes you are correct Yow , I am afraid that I was on my soap box and got somewhat carried away . But the councils are the ones responsible for repairs to the grounds.

As Dennis Preston mentioned it was the railing that gave way at Leichart Oval and not the stand . Surely the caretaker could had sought the necessary funds to repair it .

I realize that they - the councils also have a budget to work within , but for the sake of public safety it would had been money well spent .

Dragon David

First Grade
Off the beaten track somewhat , I would love to know just how much dough the big wigs of the NRL are pulling in each year .

Perhaps if the beggars took a pay cut 😳 then there would be more money available to the clubs ?
Just like our Board members, they would be on a good wicket but I think more accountable than our chieftains who, along with Andrew, are saying "All is good at the Dragons Brucie. No need for you to come back from your little haven and waste good sun tanning weather. We know what we are doing and next year we will be doing the same. Cheers for now".

Latest posts