What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Ok so in the unlikely event that Griffin gets the sack at the end of the season, and seeing as we're picking possible successors, I'll have a go.
Fitzgibbon would've been a great fit, but unfortunately timing meant that we couldn't get him.
In terms of the old boys club, Young doesn't come across as smart enough for the head coach role (sorry Deano), and I'm not sure Hornby has a big enough personality for it. I like both of them as players and people but don't think either of them are head coach material at NRL level.
Much as I think Trent Barrett is a great guy and player, I laughed my socks off when Manly gave him the top job and laughed even harder when the Dogs did the same. There is a huge difference in being a coach and being a head coach. I actually used to feel sorry for him sitting in the coaches box when his teams were getting smashed looking completely out of his depth.
In terms of who's available right now, and much as I hate to admit it, I think Flanagan is the obvious candidate. I don't really like him as a person, but he has a winning mentality and has a track record of putting together tough and aggressive football teams. I also think he is the type of leader who commands the respect of his players. I think this makes a difference and good coaches can get an extra 10% from a team where everyone is following the same coherent strategy.
I know the issues at Cronulla left a sour taste in the mouth but I think he's probably what we need right now. I'd give him a 3 year deal. As assistant coaches, Jamie Soward seems to have more football knowledge than anyone else at the club, so I'd insist he was part of the senior group, otherwise let him pick the others himself.
It 's probably fair to say that we look a bit better than before Griffin took over (not saying much I know). If Griffin stays next year, and can improve them a bit more, who knows, maybe we make the 8. I do think we have a better core group than we did before, but there are a lot or peripheral players who are not good enough. Clear our those guys, bring in 2 or 3 more good players, and fill the rest of the spots with young / development players and we may look a different prospect next year. If we retain Hunt for another couple of years on $500k less, start to rotate him with Sully, and spend the difference on another forward, we'd be better balanced. Obviously hooker issue has to be solved, maybe Hunt getting too long in the tooth for that so fingers crossed young Muhleisen is ready to go next year, maybe rotated with Mbye.
Sorry for going on a bit, haven't been on in a while.
The Word your right, but Shane is the right coach for the Dragons no what you think of him. A lot of the guys here dislike him no worries. But one thing, do you want a winner he’s a winner his record states that.

dannyt

Coach
No one likes Hook, or Flanagan it seems.

Hook has been sacked from two previous clubs, has not been successful at any club, has shown an extreme level of stubbornness, players don't seem to respect him, fans don't respect him, and we are playing some terrible footy.

Flanagan was suspended by the NRL for unsavoury coaching practices, did the impossible in winning a premiership with the sharks, is stubborn, is respected by the players, fans don't respect him, and he had the sharks playing good footy.

Hmmmm. I wonder who I prefer as coach.

Como Connection

First Grade
Ok so in the unlikely event that Griffin gets the sack at the end of the season, and seeing as we're picking possible successors, I'll have a go.
Fitzgibbon would've been a great fit, but unfortunately timing meant that we couldn't get him.
In terms of the old boys club, Young doesn't come across as smart enough for the head coach role (sorry Deano), and I'm not sure Hornby has a big enough personality for it. I like both of them as players and people but don't think either of them are head coach material at NRL level.
Much as I think Trent Barrett is a great guy and player, I laughed my socks off when Manly gave him the top job and laughed even harder when the Dogs did the same. There is a huge difference in being a coach and being a head coach. I actually used to feel sorry for him sitting in the coaches box when his teams were getting smashed looking completely out of his depth.
In terms of who's available right now, and much as I hate to admit it, I think Flanagan is the obvious candidate. I don't really like him as a person, but he has a winning mentality and has a track record of putting together tough and aggressive football teams. I also think he is the type of leader who commands the respect of his players. I think this makes a difference and good coaches can get an extra 10% from a team where everyone is following the same coherent strategy.
I know the issues at Cronulla left a sour taste in the mouth but I think he's probably what we need right now. I'd give him a 3 year deal. As assistant coaches, Jamie Soward seems to have more football knowledge than anyone else at the club, so I'd insist he was part of the senior group, otherwise let him pick the others himself.
It 's probably fair to say that we look a bit better than before Griffin took over (not saying much I know). If Griffin stays next year, and can improve them a bit more, who knows, maybe we make the 8. I do think we have a better core group than we did before, but there are a lot or peripheral players who are not good enough. Clear our those guys, bring in 2 or 3 more good players, and fill the rest of the spots with young / development players and we may look a different prospect next year. If we retain Hunt for another couple of years on $500k less, start to rotate him with Sully, and spend the difference on another forward, we'd be better balanced. Obviously hooker issue has to be solved, maybe Hunt getting too long in the tooth for that so fingers crossed young Muhleisen is ready to go next year, maybe rotated with Mbye.
Sorry for going on a bit, haven't been on in a while.
Barrett is a wanker.

slippery5

Juniors
RV8
Flanno will at least get players fit and playing for each other . Also he seems to bring juniours through ( or manage to grab the right youngsters the sharks reserves just seem to keep bringing solid players through which enhances the total squad . Look at us take the top 30 players out of reserves and we look pretty ordinary . We need a coach that is pretty up to date and has ability to attract players And while Flanno is pretty well twiddling his thumbs on his current task lets give him a few more bucks and give him the gig
Thinking about fitness, Is it possible that you have to have a, follow me mentality, Instead of, I want you to do this?
Hook would be the only coach that appears to not do any physical fitness at all, especially to a very strong looking Flanagan. Can you seriously earn respect if you are the only coach sitting up in the coaches box drinking cans of coke during the game? or does any other coach do that? or though I have noticed they are Sugar free.
Drawing straws but I have to think of something.

Foot note: I used to drink coke for breakfast, until my girls started "Fat Shaming Me" now I'm all good again !!!!!

denis preston

First Grade
Thinking about fitness, Is it possible that you have to have a, follow me mentality, Instead of, I want you to do this?
Hook would be the only coach that appears to not do any physical fitness at all, especially to a very strong looking Flanagan. Can you seriously earn respect if you are the only coach sitting up in the coaches box drinking cans of coke during the game? or does any other coach do that? or though I have noticed they are Sugar free.

Foot note: I used to drink coke for breakfast, until my girls started "Fat Shaming Me" now I'm all good again !!!!!
Theres a lot of problems with the club & Hook but this isn't one of them !

BLM01

First Grade

Not this old chestnut again about Hooks fitness appeal.
For his age he really aint that bad

slippery5

Juniors
Not this old chestnut again about Hooks fitness appeal.
For his age he really aint that bad
YES I know. It's just makes me laugh every time they look up at him & he's sipping on a cold one, when others have a row of bottled water.
My daughter actually says "that would be me"

Mjab

Juniors

i didn’t realise we shared daughters !

but I’m right now , like Hook , I’m sugar free

possm

Coach
No, his in a the top 8 team.
Also did you see Sharon's planted horizontal feet, eyes looking at the grass attempt on Fifita? even the caller said, "brushed him off like a mosquito"
There is no doubt in my mind that we need to recruit a couple of first-grade props and at least one top-flight edge forward for 2023. So for me, David Fifita has always been a target to fill the edge forward position vacated by Sims.

We should get rid of the deadwood from our forward pack to fill these critical positions.

Yow

Juniors
There is no doubt in my mind that we need to recruit a couple of first-grade props and at least one top-flight edge forward for 2023. So for me, David Fifita has always been a target to fill the edge forward position vacated by Sims.

We should get rid of the deadwood from our forward pack to fill these critical positions.
To the people that hoped we would lose every match for the rest of the year bad luck the Tooheys tasted even better after the match.

dannyt

Coach
To the people that hoped we would lose every match for the rest of the year bad luck the Tooheys tasted even better after the match.
Tooheys? How can you tell it tasted better?

BTW- I don't think supporters wanted us to lose games, it's just a real possibility after the coaching and everything else this year. We couldn't make the semis, so if we win every game-great because we won. However, if we lose every game-great because pressure is mounting for change. The only win-win for the past several seasons.

redV06

Juniors
Rumour according to someone’s post in
“the Kennel” (dogs forum) that Sullivans family yesterday at the game were saying he’s going to look good in the blue/white, just awaiting the release.

I hope not! 😡

Latest posts