What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

hewi

Bench
This makes me happy.

Dragons offer ill star Cody Ramsey fresh contract to help keep NRL dream alive​

Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

November 10, 2023 — 5.00am
Save

Normal text sizeALarger text sizeAVery large text sizeA

The Dragons have offered Cody Ramsey a fresh contract extension and will pay the stricken star out of their own coffers despite no guarantee he will play another game of rugby league due to a career-threatening illness.
In a selfless gesture at odds with the cut-throat nature of the NRL, St George Illawarra is in the final stages of extending Ramsey’s deal by another year to allow him more time to recover from a debilitating bowel condition.

Play Video
https://archive.md/CfQAX#

Gus delivers on Dogs promise

Play video
0:49

Gus delivers on Dogs promise​

Phil Gould has bolstered the Bulldogs roster for 2024 with another trio of signings
According to club sources not authorised to speak publicly because the deal is ongoing, the Dragons and the NRL have been locked in discussions about a proposal for Ramsey to stay on the club’s books until 2025. His current deal is due to expire at the end of next year.
The plan involves St George Illawarra splitting the money Ramsey is owed over the rest of his contract across two years, which will not count towards the salary cap, and will need to be funded by the club itself.

Ramsey would also be removed from the top 30 roster to allow the Dragons to fill his spot with another signing, or promotion of a player already contracted to the club.
But if Ramsey does return to rugby league and be in line for NRL selection, the Dragons would have to make a roster space available in their top 30 and then count his salary towards the club’s cap.
St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Cody Ramsey will have his contract extended despite no guarantee he will play rugby league again.

St George Illawarra Dragons fullback Cody Ramsey will have his contract extended despite no guarantee he will play rugby league again.
Dragons powerbrokers have been discussing how best to support Ramsey, 23, for months and have been in regular contact with NRL salary cap auditors.
The idea has been to provide the fullback with some security and as much time as he needs to return from the inflammatory bowel condition ulcerative colitis, which sidelined him for the entire 2023 season and has resulted in him having more than half a dozen surgeries.

The Molong junior was struck down with the rare condition weeks before Christmas last year as the Dragons went through pre-season training, resulting in an extended stay in hospital.
He had cemented himself as the club’s first-choice fullback at the end of the 2022 season but watched on as Tyrell Sloan assumed that role this year.
27de78c4942bd92ab81a6110940c5a7416ef2678.jpg

Cody Ramsey​

Cody Ramsey was seen as one of St George Illawarra's rising stars who could help drag the club back towards finals football, only enhanced when he scored a double on debut against Canberra in the final rounds of the 2020 season. He progressed to be the club's first-choice fullback, but was struck down with a debilitating bowel condition during last pre season and didn't play a match in 2023 as he underwent multiple surgeries.
Team:St George Illawarra DragonsPosition:Fullback/WingDebut:Round 18, 2020 (Canberra Raiders)
Ramsey was forced to have multiple follow-up operations as his teammates finished second-from-bottom, only spared the wooden spoon by the Tigers. The club has tried to instil a positive environment around the young star as he hopes to return to the game.
“Cody is a great character who is one of the most passionate, popular and respected members of our club and will have a significant impact on the success of the team over the coming season,” Dragons general manager Ben Haran said earlier this year.

Ramsey’s spot on the club’s roster, and that of five-eighth Junior Amone, who has been stood down from all club activities after being found guilty of a rooftop hammer attack, has been up in the air as new coach Shane Flanagan tries to rejuvenate the Red V.
Flanagan is expected to give Zac Lomax time at fullback during pre-season training as an added option in the No.1 alongside Sloan, who has entered the final year of his deal

hewi

Bench
DRAGONS STATE THEIR CASE TO AFB

The Dragons have ramped up their $3 million bid to try and sign Dally M prop of the year Addin Fonua-Blake for 2025.

Widely-regarded as one of the best front row forwards in the NRL Fonua-Blake dropped a bombshell last week when the gun frontrower requested an immediate release from the Warriors on compassionate grounds.

The reasoning for the request is to be closer to his parents who reside in Sydney.

With St George Illawarra in the midst of a major shake-up since the arrival of new coach Shane Flanagan the Dragons have immediately set about pitching to Fonua-Blake why he should join the Red V.

A number of St George Illawarra players who also represent Tonga have been on the charm offensive about joining the Red V including Hame Sele, Moses Suli and Ben Murdoch-Masila.

Talks are expect to ramp up further when Fonua-Blake returns to Australia from holidaying in Bali.

Where it will get interesting is the Dragons are one of the few clubs who could afford to accommodate Fonua-Blake for 2024 as well.

The Warriors were swift to get on the front foot last week and stipulate the front row forward would be remaining at the club for next season.

possm

Coach
This is what I mean with our depth. We are genuinely one injury away in the halves as it stands from having Bird at 6 and Dan Russell in the second row. We are also genuinely one injury away at fullback from having Lomax at fullback (we can pretend all we like, but he's a centre) and either Max Feagai or Tamale in the centres. Tamale's defence has been questionable although I rate him in the long term, and Max I just don't know what happened to his development. Injuries I guess stunted him for one year, but he is absolutely clueless defensively and even when he gets a shot on goes soft.
There is no doubt that we currently have trouble with quality depth at the Dragons. But the bigger problem is that we have a lack of star quality in our spine and in the top 17 in general.

My suggestion is that we concentrate on delivering a quality top 17 and le our junior strength take care of the depth problem in 2024 - 2025.

possm

Coach
I have to say - We Saint George Illawarra are delusional.
we are completely inconsistent. Every year.
truth be told - our coaches were shit.
1st we live in the past. Ie 60’s
Truth be told we mean shit in other people’s eyes
As they are seen by us.
The players no matter who only want to win.
ie Hunt ( though he blew his chance)
Players aren’t loyal like our champions were our champions from the 70’s or 80’s

our first big move - we got a premiership winning coach who can build a solid team. Proven. done
now we have to build a team like Belemey did. or old Wayne has. Look a Penrith home built.
it’s been proven you can’t buy a side as Canterbury has.
its going to take about 3-5 years.
our weakness isn’t the coach ( that’s a strength- along with our junior nursery)
Our weakness is management- they are impatient gamblers.
They showed that attempting to get Ryles.
again 3-5 years.
In that time our we need to retrain our juniors or junior coach’s who clearly can’t coach the fundamentals of tackle or read the play.
look at our current in our squad.
They are not 1st grade worthy.
Flanno will make them better
As a fan - WE NEED PATIENCE
Maturity has helped me with it.
How a bout you guys?

It’s a real challenge to find a pommy RL player who wants to study.
All NRL Clubs receive the same salary cap dollars each year so, the main problem is how the auditors keep a check on the rooting of the rules and how we at the Dragons spend those dollars.

Right now, we have two major problems with our player list:
1. We urgently need a marquee prop and a fit pack of forwards.
2. We need a spi9ne that can match it with the top 4 clubs.

Our other main problem is that we have low-quality depth in our squad and this problem will continue until we get rid of the dead wood and until our up and coming young juniors are first-grade ready.

The Word

Juniors
I'm positive the NRL require the same contract, they even mentioned it on podcasts today, i.e. if he wants to stay registered in the NRL, it has to be the same value (market value), not sure if we can go higher (maybe we cant)... its what stops the roosters of this world from destabilising and cherry picking players out of other clubs.

In this case it does make cap cheating more difficult for the Roosters, Dogs, Sharks etc.. because its 1mil on the books no exceptions.. but I put nothing past the Guses and Nicks of this world.. I feel like our only real shot is to get him early before the other clubs can offload players and/or AFB changes his mind.. 12mths is a long long time.

Note: I dont know if the Warriors also need to agree to the contract and hence could ask for a player swap.
I think this rule probably only refers to the remaining years on his existing contract? so if he has one year left when we get him we would need to match his salary for that year but if we sign him for 3 years we can pay him whatever we want (subject to his agreement) for the next 2 years?

The Word

Juniors
This makes me happy.

Dragons offer ill star Cody Ramsey fresh contract to help keep NRL dream alive​

Adam Pengilly

By Adam Pengilly

November 10, 2023 — 5.00am
Save

Normal text sizeALarger text sizeAVery large text sizeA

The Dragons have offered Cody Ramsey a fresh contract extension and will pay the stricken star out of their own coffers despite no guarantee he will play another game of rugby league due to a career-threatening illness.
In a selfless gesture at odds with the cut-throat nature of the NRL, St George Illawarra is in the final stages of extending Ramsey’s deal by another year to allow him more time to recover from a debilitating bowel condition.

Play Video
https://archive.md/CfQAX#

Play video
0:49

Phil Gould has bolstered the Bulldogs roster for 2024 with another trio of signings
According to club sources not authorised to speak publicly because the deal is ongoing, the Dragons and the NRL have been locked in discussions about a proposal for Ramsey to stay on the club’s books until 2025. His current deal is due to expire at the end of next year.
The plan involves St George Illawarra splitting the money Ramsey is owed over the rest of his contract across two years, which will not count towards the salary cap, and will need to be funded by the club itself.

Ramsey would also be removed from the top 30 roster to allow the Dragons to fill his spot with another signing, or promotion of a player already contracted to the club.
But if Ramsey does return to rugby league and be in line for NRL selection, the Dragons would have to make a roster space available in their top 30 and then count his salary towards the club’s cap.

Dragons powerbrokers have been discussing how best to support Ramsey, 23, for months and have been in regular contact with NRL salary cap auditors.
The idea has been to provide the fullback with some security and as much time as he needs to return from the inflammatory bowel condition ulcerative colitis, which sidelined him for the entire 2023 season and has resulted in him having more than half a dozen surgeries.

The Molong junior was struck down with the rare condition weeks before Christmas last year as the Dragons went through pre-season training, resulting in an extended stay in hospital.
He had cemented himself as the club’s first-choice fullback at the end of the 2022 season but watched on as Tyrell Sloan assumed that role this year.
27de78c4942bd92ab81a6110940c5a7416ef2678.jpg

Cody Ramsey​

Cody Ramsey was seen as one of St George Illawarra's rising stars who could help drag the club back towards finals football, only enhanced when he scored a double on debut against Canberra in the final rounds of the 2020 season. He progressed to be the club's first-choice fullback, but was struck down with a debilitating bowel condition during last pre season and didn't play a match in 2023 as he underwent multiple surgeries.
Team:St George Illawarra DragonsPosition:Fullback/WingDebut:Round 18, 2020 (Canberra Raiders)
Ramsey was forced to have multiple follow-up operations as his teammates finished second-from-bottom, only spared the wooden spoon by the Tigers. The club has tried to instil a positive environment around the young star as he hopes to return to the game.
“Cody is a great character who is one of the most passionate, popular and respected members of our club and will have a significant impact on the success of the team over the coming season,” Dragons general manager Ben Haran said earlier this year.

Ramsey’s spot on the club’s roster, and that of five-eighth Junior Amone, who has been stood down from all club activities after being found guilty of a rooftop hammer attack, has been up in the air as new coach Shane Flanagan tries to rejuvenate the Red V.
Flanagan is expected to give Zac Lomax time at fullback during pre-season training as an added option in the No.1 alongside Sloan, who has entered the final year of his deal
Probably makes sense for all parties. We're not actually paying him any more than we already owed him, but by splitting it over two years it gives him an extra year to try and come back, and gets him off our salary cap. I think that's a fair outcome for everyone.

thebigredv

First Grade
An earlier post by me -

"Certainly it looks like similar trends to previous years. Our club just isn't attractive and that is part of the continuing lack of better signings. We could have either Bennett, Bellamy, Cleary or Robbo and still not get those players we need to make us a force. The image of the club from all of the bad years and Hunt's wanting out has made us look a poor destination maybe?

Money isn't always the thing to dangle to get players even if we will have a significant amount in 2025. The image of the Dragons to players needs a massive uplift imo."

As far as I am concerned positive actions are much stronger than words. I too will lose my rag and close the door on the following of this club thebigredv if we end up like in previous years with statements of better times ahead and promises of good signings falling flat by the likes of Mary and Hook. Flanno's chances of becoming a successful first grade coach after being outed for some time depends on following through with getting the right players for next year and so on. If he cannot do this he will be seen to be as delusional as the previous coaches. The Board thinks that they have done their job by ridding Hook and signing Flanno, albeit after Ryles rejected us, being a beggar can't be choosers situation in the end. Why wasn't Flanno first choice?

I tell you, this has a feeling of ending up being a fiasco. For way too long we have been told to be patient - way too long. Next thing I will be a patient - and that will be at the local hospital or mental health institution.
Exactly.

To me it is beyond remaining patient and loyal as a fan. I don’t wish to be played the fool anymore.

This has been a massacre. The standards are so low.

can see the new coach is speaking about better things but speak no more. Things have to happen now.

cusnjed

Juniors
Probably makes sense for all parties. We're not actually paying him any more than we already owed him, but by splitting it over two years it gives him an extra year to try and come back, and gets him off our salary cap. I think that's a fair outcome for everyone.
As I've commented numerous times, having first hand knowledge of the disease Cody has been battling, returning to contact sport isn't a consideration. Living a relative normal life is where he should focus. If the club finds ways to utilise him, that would be awesome

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Warriors may be tempted with the 1mil that will be freed up in the cap as Saints look to be paying the lot and not asking for Warriors to chip in anything. If Saints can get AFB for 2024 that will be huge.

That is the type of signings Saints need not 3 blokes adding up to 1mil that will be hit and miss (mostly miss for Saints).

The Warriors may be tempted with the 1mil that will be freed up in the cap as Saints look to be paying the lot and not asking for Warriors to chip in anything. If Saints can get AFB for 2024 that will be huge.

That is the type of signings Saints need not 3 blokes adding up to 1mil that will be hit and miss (mostly miss for Saints).
I really think Flanagan pursing AFB from 2025 onwards is just as much about planting the seed that the Dragons can still fit him in for 2024 if the arrangements the Warriors are putting in place do not work out as planned.
At last someone in our recruitment space with some vision for the future for the Dragons.

The Word

Juniors
As I've commented numerous times, having first hand knowledge of the disease Cody has been battling, returning to contact sport isn't a consideration. Living a relative normal life is where he should focus. If the club finds ways to utilise him, that would be awesome
Which is why removing him from the salary cap and Top 30 was a priority, but it's been done in a nice way, a human way. I agree if they can help him find work / trade for after his 2 years is finished, that would be great as well.

Dragon David

First Grade
Which is why removing him from the salary cap and Top 30 was a priority, but it's been done in a nice way, a human way. I agree if they can help him find work / trade for after his 2 years is finished, that would be great as well.
Yes it is a very good humane thing the Dragons are doing for Cody. What a damned shame that he contracted this debilitating disorder. He is a great kid and he offered so much and so unlucky to get ill. He would have made a massive difference for us in 2023 and beyond if not for that illness.

All the best Cody.