What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Old Timer

Coach
Hunt had 3 options, kick long and defend a couple of tackles in their quarter and go to extra time, pass out the back where we had numbers or hit the lead runner. Of course he chose the wrong option.
As you astutely point out the game should have been locked down well and truly before the final plays of LAM & KM.

Our "key" man was never noted for his game management and that game proved yet again his deficiencies to guide a team to a win in close circumstances or pressure situations.

blacksafake

First Grade
Mann did everything right. His job, as the lead runner, was to run at Gagai and Reynolds and keep them interested. Hunt should have passed to Field, who was out the back, and all of a sudden you've got a three on one. It's a standard attacking structure that teams run every week. You'd think that in trying to strip the edge, getting the ball to Field would be what he'd be looking to do. But Hunt chose to hit the lead runner. Hunt took the wrong option when the pressure was on. But should we really be surprised? I've never seen a halfback throw so many hospital passes to edge runners with no room to move as he does.

Truth be told, he probably should have kicked because turning the ball over where we did was the absolute worst possible option and would likely cost us the game, and it did. It's just another example of when the pressure is on his brain turns to jelly.

A truly visionless play by an absolute imposter of a halfback...

😩😩😩
There’s so much in this video that has opened up old wounds.

Hunt could have gone out the back, Mann should’ve passed, Lack of urgency on the Reynolds first FG, No 17’s poor missed tackle on Crichton for the Reynolds try, Our poor setup (too shallow)for the FG, Dufty dropping the ball in the tackle & not to mention McInnes being penalised for passing into a player lying in the ruck which was a penalty all season until then.

be55

Juniors
"I've never seen a halfback throw so many hospital passes to edge runners with no room to move as he does."

You've nailed it be55.
This about Hunt. Absolutely does my head in and my biggest concern for '24.
I agree, mate.

Although I don't know what's worse—him crabbing across the field and hitting a backrower who has a defensive wall in front of him, or him choosing to die with the ball on the last inside the opposition's twenty.

Both of them shit me to tears and leave me wanting to throw the television out the window.

But who knows, after six years of dreck, and at the tender age of 34, maybe he's finally learnt the art of halfback play in the off-season.

To say I'm not holding my breath would be a MASSIVE understatement...

be55

Juniors
😩😩😩
There’s so much in this video that has opened up old wounds.

Hunt could have gone out the back, Mann should’ve passed, Lack of urgency on the Reynolds first FG, No 17’s poor missed tackle on Crichton for the Reynolds try, Our poor setup (too shallow)for the FG, Dufty dropping the ball in the tackle & not to mention McInnes being penalised for passing into a player lying in the ruck which was a penalty all season until then.
Sorry to do it to you mate...

possm

Coach
I doubt Flanno or Deano can do anything defensively with Fegai as he has been crap, in attack too, for two years, the guy is incapable of staying on his wing. Imho they sure can do something re defensive structure with the younger Finau and Tamale to compliment their offensive skills.
You could be right but I for one am holding my powder dry on Matt Feagai. This is mainly because:
1. The whole team was grossly unfit last season, including Fegai.
2. From what I saw, most of the defense problems began due to failures from players positioned inside Feagai, edge forward, and the five-eighth. Even the left side prop and our lock could have contributed to this problem.
3. It is easy to test his speed by arranging foot races between potential outside backs in the off-season and along with other data, compare those in contention.

I am sure Flanno will have the data to make a correct decision and those who miss out should knuckle down and get themselves up to speed in order to be in contention.

Mojo

Bench
I agree, mate.

Although I don't know what's worse—him crabbing across the field and hitting a backrower who has a defensive wall in front of him, or him choosing to die with the ball on the last inside the opposition's twenty.

Both of them shit me to tears and leave me wanting to throw the television out the window.

But who knows, after six years of dreck, and at the tender age of 34, maybe he's finally learnt the art of halfback play in the off-season.

To say I'm not holding my breath would be a MASSIVE understatement...
Bunt has always been vastly overrated IMO.

steerlerbab

Juniors
I think Flanno should take that South game (we still have few players from that team around) and few other games from last year where we lost by few points and replay it to the team and point out mistakes. From memory we even had couple games that we scored more tries and still lost. We have to learn the art of winning close games.

One thing about 2018, Widdop was our main organiser and From memory he got injured for the second time that year. Then he missed a big chunk of 2019 tpp due to injury (shoulder reconstruction) and left NRL to prolong his career.

With the benefit of the hindsight, we never got a like for like replacement for Widdop (Norman and Amone were not at the same level). Flanno going after Deardon was club's attempt to fix that. Anyway, looks like we have got Vokeman for one year. Let's see if he can step up.

NRLMad

Juniors
Faegai is just slow as. If he wants to be in the team ever he has to be training on speed. It’s unlikely you can become fast in one off season - hence, he’s toast. Tamale and Fainu look quick, just what every other club has had and we have not for the last 3-5 years. Having speed changes the way that hunt can play, however he’s always reluctant to grubber, don’t know why. The game has changed so much since the short kickoffs/dropouts have been deployed. Before you were almost guaranteed of a repeat set, now you could lose the ball.

Parko1310

Juniors
I'm just hoping that we can do something with dropouts this year, at the very least something apart from cocking them up.
How hard is it when we're receiving drop outs to set Lomax up on the side the kicker prefers to kick to so we have a better chance of keeping the ball? Did my head in last year the amount of times he'd be on the other side and we'd lose possession. It makes no sense to have him stationed on the side the kick obviously isn't going to. It's not that hard to think of is it?? Dumb, dumb, dumb. On Lomax in the air as well, he does need to start going up with the intent of actually catching the ball, not just waving one arm up in the air as if that's going to do anything at all other than result in a knock on.

kit66

Bench
Still can’t understand the hate for mat Fegai. like possm I’m waiting to see how he develops this year. Happy to see if he falls down the ranks or comes good and what Flanno can do with him

Is it hate or just the realization he's a slug, terrible defence, too slow to turn and chase anything, always races up out of the line and misses everything time after time and just poor positional play overall. 2023 - Rounds 17 & 18, the highlights alone tell you all you need to know about Matt Feagai, especially the Warriors game where the 28 yr old DWZ and Rocco Berry cruised past Feagai with ease for 5 tries. Same game Feagai runs for just 35mtrs in 80 minutes.
There was also a couple of games earlier in the year where Matt played centre and his brother played wing, a total embarrassment, some of the lamest defence you'll ever see.

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I'm just hoping that we can do something with dropouts this year, at the very least something apart from cocking them up.
We are the worst in the comp at defending against and winning back the short dropout. Have been for two years.. it’s embarrassing…
It’s a classic one of those one percent plays where we always show a real lack of effort/intelligence

Harry Bath

Juniors
We are the worst in the comp at defending against and winning back the short dropout. Have been for two years.. it’s embarrassing…
It’s a classic one of those one percent plays where we always show a real lack of effort/intelligence
I actually cant remember 1 instance where they took the ball from either a short kick off or short line drop out?

Old Timer

Coach
I actually cant remember 1 instance where they took the ball from either a short kick off or short line drop out?
I agree with you and of course due to that us forcing a line drop out holds little to no fear for our opposition.

There is very little we do consistently that remotely strikes fear into the heart of our opposition yet in every game Dragon supporters are on the edge of their seat with our hearts in our mouths in almost every defensive play.

Chalk & cheese between us and our opponents regardless of how shit they are.

kit66

Bench
How hard is it when we're receiving drop outs to set Lomax up on the side the kicker prefers to kick to so we have a better chance of keeping the ball? Did my head in last year the amount of times he'd be on the other side and we'd lose possession. It makes no sense to have him stationed on the side the kick obviously isn't going to. It's not that hard to think of is it?? Dumb, dumb, dumb. On Lomax in the air as well, he does need to start going up with the intent of actually catching the ball, not just waving one arm up in the air as if that's going to do anything at all other than result in a knock on.

Exactly, just goes to show how clueless Hook was in letting us keep kicking those drop outs to Feagai and Suli when our best player under the high ball is Lomax by a country mile. We are the dumbest footy team, honestly, some of the things we do leave me speechless - dying with the ball on the last tackle...halves included or passing to a prop on the last with no room to move, short dropouts and seeming to choose the opposition's best returning ball carriers to kick to and even kick off to etc, etc.
And yes, half Lomax's huge error count is doing just that - airswings at the ball instead of a real attempt to catch it.