What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

qld redvee

Juniors
I listened to Flanno on a MMM podcast this morning, there is definitely something there.. but Flanno said the same thing I said yesterday, that if he can play a few more games like Round 1... there is a pretty good chance he will have a different view on the whole situation... winning does that.. being talked about as an Origin winger.. while perhaps initially pissing him off... will I think have a nice ring to it after he stops to reflect... hell.. imo he might even say 'Thankyou' for opening his eyes.

Flanno is no fool though (as we saw with Hunt), if Lomax ends up going.. he will make sure the club isn't disadvantaged out of it.
can just imagine the s$it that slothfield and 360 dish up tonight

rumour also that zac is off to tiger town and we get simpkins in return AND pay some of zacs wage .. same deal as hunt you want out saints dont pay ...

justadragon

Bench

rumour also that zac is off to tiger town and we get simpkins in return AND pay some of zacs wage .. same deal as hunt you want out saints dont pay ...
Dragons paying anything wont happen with Flanno, especially if its the player wanting out. As with Hunt, "you are contracted here, you will be playing here"

Rocket Rod

Juniors

Those commentators/ journos are just useless mouthpieces. They are unemployable in a regular business because they are fools.
Hopefully what we witnessed last Saturday is a taste of what’s to come.
Saints are best to let their footy do the talking and those idiots can do the walking

Crush

Coach
Agree and maybe wrong choice of words
but it happens too often compared to others, especially the past few years in respect to those click headlines
If you enjoy watching other clubs getting destroyed in the media, there are some fun articles online today about the bulldogs.
One is titled "Graveyard, where careers go to die"
The other one is the league legends questioning if Crichton really wants to play centre, seems unhappy.
Sounds familiar doesnt it!?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Apparently Saints are the only team in the NRL with a player upset he is not playing his preferred position? Will Saints and their fans ever get a break from these idiots throwing mud at the club and players. I just don't get it.

Pretty sure Valentine Holmes started on the wing and look at him go now. Flanno knows what he is doing. Sualiii the same. He started on the wing as well. Unfortunately Zac had 2 duds who threw him straight to centre and his game did not develop as good as it should have because of that.

The big story here as per what Flanno alluded to is why are clubs talking to Zac when he is contracted till 2026?

If Flanno continues on the wing and produces those numbers, I honestly believe he will be an Origin player in 2024. The closest he will get to being selected is sticking to the wing and showcase his skills and that he can cover both spots effectively.

BLM01

First Grade
For me the real issue is that Zac signed on till end of 2026 at only an average of $500k pa and that could be considered unders as at 2024.

He probably has been pre paid some of that amount in our easier salary cap years

So if he is actually on say $400k pa in 2024,25,26 (due to some pre payments) I wonder what really is going on here?

He knows the better centres get $750k pa.

That comment the other day he is on $800k pa was the stupidest bit of journo work I have seen in so long. Just fuelling BS. Every media group reported Zac was on $3mill for 5years. We would have pre paid anything we could of his average $500k pa to be ready for serious recruitment 2025 / 26.

He probably is being opportunistic knowing that if a new club only has to pay out say $400k pa for 24/25/26 he could get an upgrade and play centre at another club. That means he was paid in good faith as pre payments above his $500k pa in say 2023 and probably 2024 minimum and now he wants to double dip.

For me that is by far the most likely scenario.

Play centre and double dip on $.

Back to team first comments:

For me we needed strong carries coming back from our left wing ie most right footed halves tend to kick a lot to the left winger……..Flanno has done well to minimise how teams can exploit us there. We also wanted a deadly kick return mix on that left with Rava, Suli coming at u they are metre eaters that set up our field position.

Then Flanno wanted a lot more attack on our kicks from Hunt going down our right side and he has that with Lomax on our right wing. Lomax can make it very difficult for the

The mystery I still see more than anything is Bird at right centre still looks very very clunky.

The other pieces work well so far.

Pe - the dragons just signed a left side winger Tuipulotuto to cover Rava if he is injured

Don’t we have Sione Finau signed on till end of 2025 who could be an exciting right side winger and can cover Lomax if injured. But reality for now is that Lomax can give us a lot at right wing. So he ain’t going anywhere until Bird is not possible at right centre any longer
Where do you get 400-500 average pte payments etc
If you are right assuming only 3 mill over 5 years is 600k a year average
I have no doubt early years on less than 600 and backended later years which is where the 800 is coming from
Something like 400 400 600 800 800 or similar

BLM01

First Grade
If you enjoy watching other clubs getting destroyed in the media, there are some fun articles online today about the bulldogs.
One is titled "Graveyard, where careers go to die"
The other one is the league legends questioning if Crichton really wants to play centre, seems unhappy.
Sounds familiar doesnt it!?
Yes I get it and no my focus was 9 reporters and the Dragons
9 won’t do Dogs as Gus as one iftheir pin ups
But that reporting is a motivator similar to Dolphins copping after 1 game

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I don't go in for the big conspiracies but tend to think many are just examples of small biases.

Latest example is George Burgess being cited as a former STGI forward. While strictly true, he played 4 games for us and 149 for Souths yet the Bunnies don't get a mention.

kit66

Bench
I will be interested to see if that one comes up on NRL360. It will be all Lomax.

If I remember correctly the last few seasons have been marred by some scandal or other usually around Round 1 or just prior but in the absence of any "big story" this year knobs like Chammas have decided to manufacture one. Of course they'll all jump on the bandwagon.

kit66

Bench
I don't go in for the big conspiracies but tend to think many are just examples of small biases.

Latest example is George Burgess being cited as a former STGI forward. While strictly true, he played 4 games for us and 149 for Souths yet the Bunnies don't get a mention.

Wow, that's really appalling, makes my blood boil. It's not a theory that Fox and subsequently the NRL treat us badly, it's a fact and there you have it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If I remember correctly the last few seasons have been marred by some scandal or other usually around Round 1 or just prior but in the absence of any "big story" this year knobs like Chammas have decided to manufacture one. Of course they'll all jump on the bandwagon.
If Lomax was unhappy when he played on saturday night, let's keep him unhappy- he was outstanding. Also, just heard Freddie Fittler endorsing him as a winger- Fittler coached him when he was younger. If (and admittedly, it's a big if), Lomax has a brain, wing could be his best pathway to an Origin spot.

TheRev

First Grade
If Lomax was unhappy when he played on saturday night, let's keep him unhappy- he was outstanding. Also, just heard Freddie Fittler endorsing him as a winger- Fittler coached him when he was younger. If (and admittedly, it's a big if), Lomax has a brain, wing could be his best pathway to an Origin spot.
Yep I think he will come around if he stops to reflect.. this is a really good result for him... however I'm not sure whos in his ear... or just how how stubborn he is.. atleast try it for a season anyway.. its not a life-sentence.

Most of the negative parts of his game go away on the wing.. all that decision making and shitty flicks.. even his passing.. he didnt seem to be able to make the right play.... but now he can just run hard, tackle hard, jump hard.. I dont mean this in a mean way.. but he doesnt have much footy IQ.. hes very much in control of himself, but doesnt do a great job of setting up others, which is why I think the Fullback option is only going to be thru injury.. I dont think he has the skillset to do it properly.. other than just the physical stuff... like he is a very strong boy.. he will run it back like a steamtrain.. but its not a longterm position for him.