What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

steerlerbab

Juniors
If Lomax and Hunt both left tomorrow I would not give a shit. They are both toxic.
Jess Sergis saw the writing on the wall with him and I firmly believe she would not have left the dragons she only did to get as far away from him.
No. The club has to stand firm and I applaud the management. With Hunt, this happened before Flanno and everything is settled. I think with Zac club is looking to sign Tylan May and his brother. If that eventuates, then Zac maybe given permission to leave. Zac also knows that and has played his best footy last 2 rounds. Believe me Eels won't pay 2023 Zac 800k.

maestro1

Bench
No. The club has to stand firm and I applaud the management. With Hunt, this happened before Flanno and everything is settled. I think with Zac club is looking to sign Tylan May and his brother. If that eventuates, then Zac maybe given permission to leave. Zac also knows that and has played his best footy last 2 rounds. Believe me Eels won't pay 2023 Zac 800k.
Sign Mays x 2 and make Zac honour his contract, and keep looking out for other NRL players to sign. That's what a great club would do

TheRev

First Grade
They mentioned on a podcast today that Taylan May (and assumably Terrell) declined the StGeorge interest until such time as basically staying at their club was no longer an option... which is exactly what Flanno said at the RedV Member Function.. so the chances of us pulling off that deal seem pretty remote..

I cant believe how hard it is to even spend our salary cap..

SAP58

Juniors
They mentioned on a podcast today that Taylan May (and assumably Terrell) declined the StGeorge interest until such time as basically staying at their club was no longer an option... which is exactly what Flanno said at the RedV Member Function.. so the chances of us pulling off that deal seem pretty remote..

I too was at the Red V member function which I thought was a great presentation. Shame I couldn’t meet you @TheRev on the night, maybe next Red V function we could organise a get together with the forum members at the function.

TheRev

First Grade
I too was at the Red V member function which I thought was a great presentation. Shame I couldn’t meet you @TheRev on the night, maybe next Red V function we could organise a get together with the forum members at the function.
I'd love that but im based up in Brissie! I just remember them mentioning that in the recap notes, surely we had a red hot crack at the Mays via their player managers.. assume our only chance is if we have significantly overpaid whatever rorters/penrith r going to pay them...

SAP58

Juniors
I'd love that but im based up in Brissie! I just remember them mentioning that in the recap notes, surely we had a red hot crack at the Mays via their player managers.. assume our only chance is if we have significantly overpaid whatever rorters/penrith r going to pay them...
Cheers don’t rub it in living in Brisvegas ! My comments still stand with the Sydney based members.

VodkaSaint

Juniors

if we made a play for them 6 weeks ago i reckon we would have pulled it off, interest in them has picked since then

rasaint

Juniors
Zac sure does polarise forum members.

After 6 seasons he has generally been an unremarkable NRL centre. On occasion, he has produced a sublime high catch for a try, ( dropped many) executed a one hand flick to get a winger away or room to crash over ( a number miss the mark unfortunately)and ran a good line to score a good try. He has proven a good goal kicker. Defence is reasonable. He is a fit player.

Yet it is true that there are lots of better NRL centres and some already mentioned on this thread.

im glad he has played a couple of good winger games. I doubt he will play SOO anytime. Lack of dash for that top level has always been a bugbear. I doubt Parramatta or any team will sign him without a $$$ big discount to what he receives now. Anyway, I wish him well.

I have been shouted down before but Zac may be best suited to lock/ back row.

Lennyb

Juniors
Zac sure does polarise forum members.

After 6 seasons he has generally been an unremarkable NRL centre. On occasion, he has produced a sublime high catch for a try, ( dropped many) executed a one hand flick to get a winger away or room to crash over ( a number miss the mark unfortunately)and ran a good line to score a good try. He has proven a good goal kicker. Defence is reasonable. He is a fit player.

Yet it is true that there are lots of better NRL centres and some already mentioned on this thread.

im glad he has played a couple of good winger games. I doubt he will play SOO anytime. Lack of dash for that top level has always been a bugbear. I doubt Parramatta or any team will sign him without a $$$ big discount to what he receives now. Anyway, I wish him well.

I have been shouted down before but Zac may be best suited to lock/ back row.
Time will tell if brad fittler did him a favour or not.
Talk about a full of himself ex player, way over his head.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
As great a player as he was the old Freddy’s judgment as a coach or commentator could come into question many times over
He was the one to name him the gifted one for future centre origin rep
But that is the point- Freddy nominated him as "the gifted one"- but his gift never fully developed in the centres and he was never really spoken of seriously for rep footy. The shift to the wing has seen making more of an impact eg running metres and using all of his skills (especially his jumping and catching skills in defence and attack) and reignited interest in him from both people who have and are about to coach NSW Origin.

Queensland are going to be tough to beat with tall wingers like Cobbo and Coates competing for high balls and I can see Lomax being needed to combat them.

TheRev

First Grade
Yep NSW are very scared of the height and aerial skills of the Queenslanders, it wasnt so bad when Cobbo and Coates were just rookies.. but they getting more and more confident now (such as *Coates put down last weekend).. hate it as a blues fan cause there was a window when all these maroon rookies were ripe for the picking.. and we still managed to lose the last 2 series ..

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep NSW are very scared of the height and aerial skills of the Queenslanders, it wasnt so bad when Cobbo and Coates were just rookies.. but they getting more and more confident now (such as Cobbos put down last weekend).. hate it as a blues fan cause there was a window when all these maroon rookies were ripe for the picking.. and we still managed to lose the last 2 series ..
Coates?

SAP58

Juniors
Sap58 can you provide a brief run down of the red function for all of us that couldn't get there
Thanks
Ok. It was a presentation from Andrew Lancaster (Chairman), Ryan Webb (CEO) & Flanno, MC was Jeremy Latimore. Ryan Webb did a brief presetation on the state of play re financials (very healthy) & high performance centre (plans with Council talking with preferred builder, expected to be completed end 2025). We are spending more on the development of juniors than most clubs in the NRL. Then they took questions, some of the highlights I remember are.
- Lancaster assurred everyone despite the press we have a unified Board & they work toward the same goal - future success
- Webb & then Flanno stated they have and are pushing the one club theme & creating the Dragons Way culture on & off the field. Flanno said he has & will continue to spend a lot of time on skills training which he said has not been pushed in the past (to his surprise) but it will take some time to come through, Talked about the players fitness & the fact they lost over 100kg in the off season.
- Flanno embarrassed about last weekend, players didnt follow the game plan & were flat. He said he cant explain why maybe it was a let down from the previous week & Dolphins played very well & played mistake free football but we let them play well & he stated it wont happen again !!
- When asked about Lomax confirmed he gave him premission to talk to other in the off season but nothing came of it. He repeated what was has been in the press he is in our bext 17 but at the moment his best position for the team is on the wing but that may change. A question from the floor commented that his passing ability is not up to standard but Flanno would not comment on specifics but to say he is working with Lomax to improve his game like all of the players. Lancaster said he is strong on players who sign contracts that they should be committed to the club for that period & is not a fan of players breaking contracts.
- Wants to play semi finals this year & believes he has the team to do so (in a far better position than when he took over the Sharks) if they perform & thats his job to get them to perform to their potential. Emphasised how many good juniors we have coming through (such as Egan & also some promising halves) but many are a couple of years off being ready for first grade but he knows he needs some players to strengthen some positions partucularly hooker and a big bopper up front. Said he was very confident of getting AFB but he decided that he was a better chance of winning a competition with the Sharks. Flanno then commented he was very foolish (words to that effect). Whilst there is no one specifically in the market place at the moment or have a contract up at the end of 2024 players become available for various reasons & we will be activly out there if someone becomes available.
- Overall very positive Flanno spoke well & with passion he doesnt like losing & will continue to work as hard as possible to change the players mentality & raise their performance levels to where he thinks they should be.

They were my main take outs, a very positive meeting, if another member was there & I missed any points please add to this.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I watched 360 and my understanding he is worth 800k but not as a winger. I then had a look at zerotackle site and he is listed on 700k for our club until 2026. I looked at some other centres in zerotackle side and found this:
Kotoni Staggs: 700k
Campbell Graham: 850k
Izack tago: 750k
So a top centre is worth around 700k to 850k. So looks to me he and his manager are after pay rise. That shows also in the field. He has not kicked the bucket. He has had two standout games for us. He is showcasing himself and his skills.
At the same time the club is after May brothers and don't forget Allan and Ramsey may both recover for next year too. There is also Tamale coming through the ranks from what I have heard he is a future first grader.
Summing up, I think, if we get Tylan May, Zac will be granted his wish. Will the Eels give him 800k?
This is beautful theatre and Flano is no doubt loving it while courting Tamale to extend, Bird maybe to move on, Petaia maybe coming to the Dragons, Sloan and Sua with an offer on the table. Keep the deck chairs shuffling with some uncertainty !

For me the issue is two parts for Zac.

Firstly, he is most likely being opportunistic and double dipping to increase his pay in 2025 and 2026, which he can only do if he moves clubs. That would piss Flano off so much. You pay Zac in advance and then the player tries to leave when on less in future years. In 2023 and 2024 we had and have plenty of cap we can use to pre pay players and attract new talent like we did. Yet it is super clear we are after a major prop which will be one mill min for 2025 hence pre paying some player now.

Secondly, Zac probably wants to play FB, 5/8, Centre then wing in that order after hearing his interviews / podcasts last 12months or so.

Mate I am absolutely stunned that Zac is on $800k this season unless it is a forward payment which makes total sense.

There was like 10 media articles at the time (2019 it happened when he was already signed on for 2020)..........the articles all said Zac signed on for 6 years at $3m, which is an average of $500k pa. At the time it was a huge story...........No doubt it was a stepped contract over the 6 years, but that still wouldnt trigger $800k in 2024 unless we forward paid to use our cap now.....which I am sure we are.

Not one reporter has been held to account on this $800k pa figure that has miraculously just happened.

If Zac was going to be on $800k in 2024 could you imagine how powerful that info would have been the last few years. That would have been GOLD for any reporter. How did they miss that the last few years???? They have also given absolutely no context to the $800k in 2024 just so it is a flammable story for the mugs. Lomax has been a media pawn for two seasons. top 3 trolling by reporters would have been to uncover any uplifts in his salary and use it in 2023 or earlier in the news.

BUT here is the rub..............if you forward pay a player to use up your cap now and free up more later..........that does not stop a player from trying double dip in the years ahead.

Right now Zac appears to be exactly doing that. He will most likely be on less in 2025 and 2026 due to pre payments in 2023 and 2024. So he knows if he is back on $500k pa or less in 2025 and 2026 he could move club to get more. He also knows there is no way in hell we will pay him more in 2025 and 2026 after forward paying last two season.

My best guess over his career for the 6 year contract would be as per below. remembering $3m x 6yrs is an average of $500k pa

2021 - $250k (21yrs old)
2022 - $350k (22yrs old)
2023 - $700k (23yrs old) Flano signs on as coach mid June 2023. He would have said pre pay pre pay pre pay !!!
2024 - $800k (24yrs old)
2025 - $450k (25yrs old) opportunity to double dip if Lomax can be released. Might get another $300k pa
2026 - $450k (26yrs old) "

That is at least $600k extra he could make if he moves clubs and then also doesnt have to play wing.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yep NSW are very scared of the height and aerial skills of the Queenslanders, it wasnt so bad when Cobbo and Coates were just rookies.. but they getting more and more confident now (such as Cobbos put down last weekend).. hate it as a blues fan cause there was a window when all these maroon rookies were ripe for the picking.. and we still managed to lose the last 2 series ..
That was Coates' put down.

qld redvee

Juniors
Ok. It was a presentation from Andrew Lancaster (Chairman), Ryan Webb (CEO) & Flanno, MC was Jeremy Latimore. Ryan Webb did a brief presetation on the state of play re financials (very healthy) & high performance centre (plans with Council talking with preferred builder, expected to be completed end 2025). We are spending more on the development of juniors than most clubs in the NRL. Then they took questions, some of the highlights I remember are.
- Lancaster assurred everyone despite the press we have a unified Board & they work toward the same goal - future success
- Webb & then Flanno stated they have and are pushing the one club theme & creating the Dragons Way culture on & off the field. Flanno said he has & will continue to spend a lot of time on skills training which he said has not been pushed in the past (to his surprise) but it will take some time to come through, Talked about the players fitness & the fact they lost over 100kg in the off season.
- Flanno embarrassed about last weekend, players didnt follow the game plan & were flat. He said he cant explain why maybe it was a let down from the previous week & Dolphins played very well & played mistake free football but we let them play well & he stated it wont happen again !!
- When asked about Lomax confirmed he gave him premission to talk to other in the off season but nothing came of it. He repeated what was has been in the press he is in our bext 17 but at the moment his best position for the team is on the wing but that may change. A question from the floor commented that his passing ability is not up to standard but Flanno would not comment on specifics but to say he is working with Lomax to improve his game like all of the players. Lancaster said he is strong on players who sign contracts that they should be committed to the club for that period & is not a fan of players breaking contracts.
- Wants to play semi finals this year & believes he has the team to do so (in a far better position than when he took over the Sharks) if they perform & thats his job to get them to perform to their potential. Emphasised how many good juniors we have coming through (such as Egan & also some promising halves) but many are a couple of years off being ready for first grade but he knows he needs some players to strengthen some positions partucularly hooker and a big bopper up front. Said he was very confident of getting AFB but he decided that he was a better chance of winning a competition with the Sharks. Flanno then commented he was very foolish (words to that effect). Whilst there is no one specifically in the market place at the moment or have a contract up at the end of 2024 players become available for various reasons & we will be activly out there if someone becomes available.
- Overall very positive Flanno spoke well & with passion he doesnt like losing & will continue to work as hard as possible to change the players mentality & raise their performance levels to where he thinks they should be.

They were my main take outs, a very positive meeting, if another member was there & I missed any points please add to this.
Thanks sap58 greatly appreciate that

after his standout performances on the wing, Freddy Fittler has publicly said he's a better wing than centre,
He is traveling great on the wing because he has adopted a roving mission game plan. His involvement is incredible. The guy has to use this plan, because if he stayed on his flank he'd remain starved of the leather by our so called play makers. If Lomax is not rated in top 20 centres, this is the reason why. Will keep on this tack, if Lomax played with a strong pack and quality play makers/game managers he'd be rated in the top 5 centers.