What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

shiloh dc

Juniors
We do have an offer on the table to JDB, so Flanno is obviously happy enough to keep him another year (even though I agree re: culture).. im sure it will come down to money.. Jack was I think always going to get offers from overseas, and tbh I wouldnt rule out offers from other NRL sides but much later in the year if they are desperate for a middle. I was hoping we would have it wrapped up well before then.

Its a hard game.. Flanno is doing the right thing by the salary cap.. but hes also in a club with no pulling power, so its a dangerous game being played with Jack, Lomax and Su'a.
I have read DeBelin has been offered an embarrassing 400K. We are paying Leilua 600K - 650K - that is a joke.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have read DeBelin has been offered an embarrassing 400K. We are paying Leilua 600K - 650K - that is a joke.
Yes, that would be a joke but I suppose that is why maybe the club is letting him see who, what, where, how much interest and money he can earn. If there is no interest and there is little to no demand, then the $400K will be the club's best offer for another year of his services.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
It may have been $400k pa ?

10yr player (veteran and or developed) the allowance is $300k pa

if it is only $400k pa only $100k pa of JDBs contract applies to the salary cap

also we have a stack of juniors we will have to pay $ to keep from the hungry Sydney clubs

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
400k would be appropriate for most clubs who have more quality to fit in their cap, Finucane was on 350k next year (his final year), Jack however has got atleast 1 more year in him..

I suspect we will go up to 500k (he was on 750k previously), but this super league thing really smells of his manager floating his name over there to put pressure on us to move our offer up.. I would be surprised if he was willing to uproot his young family.. but perhaps the change could even do him good.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Like it or not as well, he is part of the ongoing cultural issues at the club and the terrible perception of the club from the outside. No one is questioning he's been playing well, but given this, it speaks volumes that no one else in the NRL wants a bar of him
I agree. It's incredible how little we know of what goes on in NRL clubs - sure, a story gets leaked here or there e.g. Souths player attitude issues, but there's every possibility that some of the players we think 'have changed' are just doing it for media and are way worse behind club doors

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
400K is about right for De Belin. Remember, he's a bench prop, he's 33 and has dragged the club through the mud multiple times. He got paid 750k a season to sit on the sidelines whilst we stood by him. 400 is more than reasonable. No other NRL side will go near him either, so it's either re-sign or off to england
In hindsight paying him 750k to sit on the sidelines is such a Dragons move. All the while so we could sign premier threats like Patrick Kaufusi, Kade Ellis and Lachlan Maranta lol. Even Mitch Allgood got a run a few times

jak

Bench
Well we are not the only club at the moment given the cold shoulder. The Roosters look like losing out and not getting Fifita and Gagai. Fifita to Penrith and Gagai to stay at the Knights is what the pundits are saying.

The Roosters won't be too upset, they will get the right guys and they will have plenty to spend like us but we don't get the right guys unfortunately.
Dave, please don't tell me your feeling sorry for the roosters

Dragon David

First Grade
Dave, please don't tell me your feeling sorry for the roosters
Never in a million years jak. You know we talk of how the Rorters makes a footballers life better after serving time at that club, but that doesn't mean that it is the be all and end all. Some players probably don't want a bar of that club and not liked the Roosters as a kid.

Not everything shines out of Uncle Nicks backside and I'm glad.

Biglance

Bench
I’ll do it for free!

here’s an introductory paragraph I just posted on another thread:

the proximity of Jubilee Oval, the leagues club and Beverley Park is an amazing opportunity for development of a stadium and sports complex (in fact they’re all geographically connected).
Revert to one club , ie; St George Dragons, keep Illawarra stadium as a satellite / second home ground and establish a junior rugby league development academy in the Gong.
I actually think the opportunity is the other way around, Wollongong is becoming a hub for people moving away from Sydney due to cost of living pressures. The Wollongong in the next ten years is going to expand and there's an opportunity to sure up a fan base there. Build an elite stadium there use it for league, a league, big events on the south Coast.

Target programs to encourage more engagement with the community moving into the region. They are young families.

If you look at crowd numbers for the two grounds kogarah continues to have smaller numbers and is far from a fortress.

I am a st george man, born and live in the area.

We do have an offer on the table to JDB, so Flanno is obviously happy enough to keep him another year (even though I agree re: culture).. im sure it will come down to money.. Jack was I think always going to get offers from overseas, and tbh I wouldnt rule out offers from other NRL sides but much later in the year if they are desperate for a middle. I was hoping we would have it wrapped up well before then.

Its a hard game.. Flanno is doing the right thing by the salary cap.. but hes also in a club with no pulling power, so its a dangerous game being played with Jack, Lomax and Su'a.
A 33/34-year old JDB is in a different category to Sua and Lomax. Remember he's not a halfback floating round in a Tuxedo. He's playing in the middle. It's very physical. At some point he will be all of a sudden unplayable. I would keep him around for a year on reduced money, but it's not a horrible decision to let him go.

Losing players like Sua and Lomax at their ages is worse than a dangerous game. It's self sabotage.

I actually think the opportunity is the other way around, Wollongong is becoming a hub for people moving away from Sydney due to cost of living pressures. The Wollongong in the next ten years is going to expand and there's an opportunity to sure up a fan base there. Build an elite stadium there use it for league, a league, big events on the south Coast.

Target programs to encourage more engagement with the community moving into the region. They are young families.

If you look at crowd numbers for the two grounds kogarah continues to have smaller numbers and is far from a fortress.

Spot on Big Lance
It's the same blueprint the Mariners used to rebuild their club however the Mariners have an advantage "No other competing premier sporting code in the area"

I'm also a rusted-on Saints fan even though I never lived in the area, but I still have this undeniable emotional link to Kogarah Oval and the now mythical “Taj Mahal”
Realistically - Wollongong is the biggest piece in the club's reinvention.

A 33/34-year old JDB
I'd have him even at this age over some of the younger duds we currently have on our books. Jack is arguably in career-best form. Has always wanted to remain a one club man, so no chance he'll play for another NRL club and as he is unwanted here yet still wants to continue playing as a pro, then SL is his only remaining option. My dislike for this coach just went up several notches.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints need to chase guys like Illias and Blaize Talagi. They are no chance of landing any NRL experienced marquee players so should target potential junior marquees. Blaize would be a great swap for Lomax. Illias with Hunt at hooker or 5/8 would be a good step in the right direction. KFlanno to 14 or hooker. Let Blaze get is 1 season experience at the Eels and capitalise on it next season as this kid looks like a gun. They should also go the Canberra guy Trey Mooney.

Before they do this need a recruitment guy if Millard is not well. WTF? If he has been out and we are in round 10 then what are they waiting for in terms of getting such an important role for a club in place. This is just a great example of how poor the club is run. The mighty Dargons....

I'd have him even at this age over some of the younger duds we currently have on our books. Jack is arguably in career-best form. Has always wanted to remain a one club man, so no chance he'll play for another NRL club and as he is unwanted here yet still wants to continue playing as a pro, then SL is his only remaining option. My dislike for this coach just went up several notches.
JDB is going well at his current age. I'm only saying that he's likely to get older. If we lose him, at least we got his best years. Can't say the same for Lomax and Sua.

St Tangles

Bench

I love Kogarah myself but I see merit in what you say.

An example is the West's tigers.
They never fully embraced the Campbelltown area.

If you went to the Game against us or Brisbane there were less Tigers fans.

They lost a generation of fans from the area.