What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

It’s not a level playing field, Roosters roster is just ridiculous, they have every opportunity to win a comp every single year. They have the best stadium in the NRL. They get away games at home.
But they are plastic, no soul, no heart, winning a comp means not much to them.
I’m going for anyone but
Time to scrap the salary cap altogether and bring in a youth draft

Don’t see the point in pretending that there is a level playing field

maestro1

Bench
Sorry but experience in proifessional sport, especially in the US, shows that is inherently incorrect. It is well established that players will sign for less money if they think they can win a title. Not all of them, but quite a few will and do.
It would be very rare. Every player the Roosters sign "goes there for less". I repeat, footballers do not sign for 200k less". There is always exceptions to every rule, but it would be VERY rare. I cannot agree with your conclusion.

Draginzaaar

Bench
i'd say that V'Landys and Politis would be best mates now. Whatever Politis wants V'Landys would see to it I reckon. Nick getting the Rah Rah guy to come to his club, V'Landys would have told Abdo to clear it so that he can register as a player in the NRL without any dramas for this year. "Don't worry about the Salary Cap" he would say to Old Nick. "I have had your Cap checked and I've been told that you have heaps to spend - just keep the big ones under your hat though". "Oh by the way Nick, any chance of me getting an upgrade of my Merc with the usual 70% discount?"
So the Roosters must win the comp every year then yeah? What they don't?

Draginzaaar

Bench
Footballers DO NOT SIGN CONTRACTS FOR 200K LESS per season. Unless there is a payback in another form. Only an idiot would take 200K less and only an even BIGGER idiot believes that said player took 200k less. The part that pisses me off is that the journos, instead of laughing and outing it as utter nonsense at these suggestions of players taking 200k less, continue with the narrative. If it is shouted often enough, it becomes fact. Even when everybody knows it is bullshit.
Lomax took $200K less to go to Parra.

maestro1

Bench
Lomax took $200K less to go to Parra.
There are always exceptions to every rule. I just don't believe that 14 of them did it at the Roosters. There has to be a payback to cover it. TPAs, careers on Fox League after retirement, careers on Channel 9 after retirement, interest free loans, apartments to family members, brown paper bags full of cash. Footballers do not take 200k less without a payback somewhere. There are always exceptions but not a truckload at one club.

Trifili13

Juniors
Sorry but experience in proifessional sport, especially in the US, shows that is inherently incorrect. It is well established that players will sign for less money if they think they can win a title. Not all of them, but quite a few will and do.
While not disputing that professionals in the US or Europe might accept less to play for a team with a chance to win a comp or because they want to play for a particular coach, the amounts paid are miles apart. The main professional sports in the US or football in Europe pay millions per annum with players in many instances getting equal or more than the salary cap of an NRL club. So a player willing to give up a million or 2 or more when they are on say 5 or 6 mill or more pa and likely already set up and never have to work again is different when we hear players giving up $100k or $200k a season here which might mean $500k less over their career which would make a difference to their financial position.

Now I agree some NRL players are happy to give up some cash for a chance to win a title but why do we constantly hear they only have short careers and want to make as much money as possible to set themselves and their families up, yet when it comes to the top teams all we hear is players are willing to go there for the "culture" or to win a comp and happy to take "unders"? Something doesn't add up. As Toovey said "there needs to be an investigation".

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Surprise surprise 360 just said lomax on 700 700. 750 750.. so why was 650 reported...
That was Hoops who held MC to account on that the revised figures above and MC didn’t defend it despite MC had been saying $850k pa and sometimes $875k pa in the past when the gap at $650k rumours looked stupid……it certainly created eyeballs

So it appears as many suspected that not nearly as wide apart and no doubt 2nd year I am sure there is a boxing clause in their somewhere which would be $500k plus and mop up the difference plus Lomax better chance of centre

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
How does Corey Horsburgh get 3 weeks for head butting and throwing punches and Ravalawa gets 4 weeks for cursing at a referee?
Has the world gone mad?
Obviously the cursing of the side line official hurt more than the head butt and punches. Unfortunately , Rava's judicial history isn't great, but yeah, I agree 4 weeks for calling the official something ending in nt is a bit harsh.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
How does Corey Horsburgh get 3 weeks for head butting and throwing punches and Ravalawa gets 4 weeks for cursing at a referee?
Has the world gone mad?
Horseburger should have got 6 weeks for his act, re Rava, you can't have players "attacking" referee's, if you let players get away with it, they will all do it and we become like soccer, where players start abusing ref's, getting into their faces etc, just need the refs to be more consistent with it.