What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

kit66

Bench
He got injured, shoulder, and was out for the season. Apparently he is looking at NFL so who knows.

That's so typically Dragons. We seem to be in the wrong race completely, other teams are in the 100mtrs while we're in the sack race and constantly falling flat on our face. Oh well, get up, try again. How we doing with Utoikamanu - has Gus signed him yet or Newi ?

maestro1

Bench
So the Roosters must win the comp every year then yeah? What they don't?
They are always in the box seat at the start of eveynew season. Usually with 2 or 3 new marquee signings that every one wanted but the roosters got. The fact they don't win every year is for mainly 2 reasons. 1 - Their coach is definitely not as good as everyone thinks. If Bellamy or Wayne had Robbo's roster they'd nearly be undefeated. 2 - the Roosters are a bringing together of elite players which has been happening since the 70s. The lack of spirit is normal for this type of build. Compare it to the Panthers who's success in TEAM is a continuation of a group of mates that have grown up together and won junior comps together and are more like brothers. This is a commodity that is crucial in premiership teams and money can't buy it.

From expectations, Robbo, in recent seasons, has been the biggest Choker of all the coaches. The Dragons have been predicted the spoon two years in a row. They didn't get it/won't get it, so the team has performed better than expected. Robbo's team limped into the 8 last year when they were favourites to win the premiership. Same as 2022. 2 to 3 seasons of Underperformance by Robbo.

since77

Juniors
Obviously the cursing of the side line official hurt more than the head butt and punches. Unfortunately , Rava's judicial history isn't great, but yeah, I agree 4 weeks for calling the official something ending in nt is a bit harsh.
Disagree on this one. While us fans can use the C U Next Tuesday word when describing officials it’s just not on for a player to do it. Had to be punished. Poor Rav probably frustrated but can't say that to an official.
On the Horsborough thing, how stupid can a player be? Dropped to reserve grade starts head butting and punching. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Mojo

Bench
How does Corey Horsburgh get 3 weeks for head butting and throwing punches and Ravalawa gets 4 weeks for cursing at a referee?
Has the world gone mad?
Answering your general question: Yes.

Verbal or physical abuse however is itself a form of madness.

Last week, in Melbourne CBD - a moderately busy pedestrian crowd - I witnessed a young guy, with two mates, walk up to a woman, completely random, and king hit her. She fell to the ground face first, ambulance was called. The three young guys walked away, completely unconcerned.

Very sadly, I think yes, the world is going mad - hopefully, only at the extreme edges.

Personally, I wish our sports stars and celebrities would take their role model status very seriously

But… I agree with you - Horsbrugh should have copped a more severe reprimand than Rava.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Apparently, we are in talks with both Feagai's.

Don't know what they are talking about, but they are talking.

In fairness, Matt has been much improved this year, and Max seemingly more focused on playing.

Serviceable back-ups, but do they take up top 30 spots? Would definitely blow out some '25 squad predictions if they were.

Apparently, we are in talks with both Feagai's.

Don't know what they are talking about, but they are talking.

In fairness, Matt has been much improved this year, and Max seemingly more focused on playing.

Serviceable back-ups, but do they take up top 30 spots? Would definitely blow out some '25 squad predictions if they were.
That's just us accepting defeat.

Phantom V

Juniors
They are always in the box seat at the start of eveynew season. Usually with 2 or 3 new marquee signings that every one wanted but the roosters got. The fact they don't win every year is for mainly 2 reasons. 1 - Their coach is definitely not as good as everyone thinks. If Bellamy or Wayne had Robbo's roster they'd nearly be undefeated. 2 - the Roosters are a bringing together of elite players which has been happening since the 70s. The lack of spirit is normal for this type of build. Compare it to the Panthers who's success in TEAM is a continuation of a group of mates that have grown up together and won junior comps together and are more like brothers. This is a commodity that is crucial in premiership teams and money can't buy it.

From expectations, Robbo, in recent seasons, has been the biggest Choker of all the coaches. The Dragons have been predicted the spoon two years in a row. They didn't get it/won't get it, so the team has performed better than expected. Robbo's team limped into the 8 last year when they were favourites to win the premiership. Same as 2022. 2 to 3 seasons of Underperformance by Robbo.
Great post! My thoughts exactly

It would be very rare. Every player the Roosters sign "goes there for less". I repeat, footballers do not sign for 200k less". There is always exceptions to every rule, but it would be VERY rare. I cannot agree with your conclusion.

Well then you ignore a lot of examples, in the NBA (see Klay Thompson turning down a US $24 million a year, 2 year length contract extension during the last season, to sign this off season with the Dallas Mavericks on a US $16 million a year, 3 year deal) and especially in the NFL (e.g. Patrick McQueen of the Pittsburgh Steelers - see this article where he turned down some US $4-5 million a season - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-free-agency-to-join-pittsburgh-and-win-now/)

Anyway, I digress from the thread topic. Sorry.

redVinme

Bench
Well then you ignore a lot of examples, in the NBA (see Klay Thompson turning down a US $24 million a year, 2 year length contract extension during the last season, to sign this off season with the Dallas Mavericks on a US $16 million a year, 3 year deal) and especially in the NFL (e.g. Patrick McQueen of the Pittsburgh Steelers - see this article where he turned down some US $4-5 million a season - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-free-agency-to-join-pittsburgh-and-win-now/)

Anyway, I digress from the thread topic. Sorry.
It's a lot easier to turn down money when you are still in the millions it's not apples/apples outside of both being athletes. Also in klays example he is moving to a state that has no income tax. Something that isnt possible in Australia.

I know you are a roosters fan but acting like the rooster are anything but constantly kissed on the dick is disingenuous. Rules are tested on teams like the dragons so they don't need to be applied to the chosen few. Which the roosters sit at the head of the table.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
A lot of people look at who the Chooks are buying but never who they lose. They are losing JWH, Manu, Sualii, Topou, Keary and Jennings next season. They are bringing in Townsend (straight swap for Keary at a much cheaper rate for a 34 y.o next season, is it Roosters fault Saints want to spend so much more on a 34 y.o half back?), an unknown Union player to replace Sualii, and re-signed Angus. Missed out on Fafita and Gagai. They have plenty of money to spend to replace quality. Because they are a much better run club in terms of recruitment and retention we should be doing the same yet Saints don't.

At Allianz Stadium there is a trophy room that you can see all their achievements which looks great. There moto is we play to win premierships. I wish that was Saints moto.

Dogs lose guys of less quality players like Amaroti, Averillo & Brayden Burns in the backline and replace them with Crichton, Connor Tracey, Taafe, Drew Hutchison, Xerri, Kurt Mann all who have played NRL and finals footy experience and no issue? They get rid of RFM and TPJ and bring in Curran, Salmon which is fine but they freed up 850k to do so with the TPJ rubbish. Roosters let go of players the right way not dodgey. Dogs brought in 12 mostly quality players in 1 off season, something I have never seen before. Dolphins built a new team from scratch last season and did not bring in that many in their second season. Now they have all this cash for Tuipanoua and Amone the big bopper killing it in the ESL and apparently looking to spend more.

Now there is an article on Fox saying the Dogs recruitment was the best this season. No $hite Sherlock when you are allowed to bring in so many NRL quality players under a pretend cap from teams that played finals footy the year before.

Last edited:
What can also provide some flexibility cap wise is shorter term contracts. For example, the Roosters re-signed Crichton on a 2 year deal. Lindsay Collins? Earlier this year he signed a 2 year contract extension. By doing that, you could, potentially avoid ratchet clause in contracts which a number of NRL players use to compensate for long term contract. I mean the Roosters, to my knowledge haven't given out any contact long than 5 years since I've been following them (and the last one, IIRC, was for Brad Fittler).

Have a look at the Cowboys, and Jason Taumololo. Many said signing him on a 10 year contract was a good deal for the Cowboys. Now? Everyone is saying its a millstone around the cowboys salary cap as his performance is not worth the value of the money he's on.

That is why, as Jack Gibson used to say, winning starts in the front office.

Draginzaaar

Bench
So roosters players are not only taking less money they are also happy to do it for a shorter amount of years and less job security. Got it.

Unless that job security is baked in elsewhere of course.
I'll trust B Moz. He wanted to come home and the club said no. He goes to the Roosters and plays out of his skin for a couple of years. Now he's on the staff and loves the place. Why is that?

So roosters players are not only taking less money they are also happy to do it for a shorter amount of years and less job security. Got it.

Unless that job security is baked in elsewhere of course.

I'm merely trying to point out, that by only offering contracts of 2-3 years duration, yes the player may take less money in the short term. Depending on age and form though, the next contract might be of greater monetary value if warranted. Look at Angus Crichton, he could have signed elsewhere, probably for more money, and for longer than the 2 years he re-signed for. He never once looked at leaving, even when the Fifita announcement hit.

How many organisations that use contracts do so as a way to ensure they are not stuck with poorly performing employees on big salaries? Quite a few actually. The wiser organisations learn this and foster good relations, which will make the employee keen to stay. One of your fellow Dragons supporters mentioned it in relation to Brett Morris. It is not necessarily all about just $.

It's a lot easier to turn down money when you are still in the millions it's not apples/apples outside of both being athletes. Also in klays example he is moving to a state that has no income tax. Something that isnt possible in Australia.

I know you are a roosters fan but acting like the rooster are anything but constantly kissed on the dick is disingenuous. Rules are tested on teams like the dragons so they don't need to be applied to the chosen few. Which the roosters sit at the head of the table.

Yes, the Roosters are so "kissed on the dick" as you put it that we win every penalty count in every game :rolleyes:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree as I don't think either of us is going change their view :)