What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Nutz

Bench
Why are some of you guys saying that your roster sucks....let's do a swaps with 8 of your best with 8 of my tigers best.
Parra have a workable roster and your playing better than them.
Talagi, along with a lot of other gun players who come thru the pathway system as standout players are often rushed into the NRL via development contracts.
Clubs are then pressured to extend their contracts on big dollars or they will walk before their nads even drop.
Basically it's up to the club to decide, do we sign this lad purely based on potential? (because 5 or so great performances in the NRL isn't exactly perfect criteria is it)
What these young fellas do lack is the ability to perform under intense scrutiny and defensive pressure from seasoned NRL professionals and coaches.
So after a few games their performances drop off unless they're top shelf players.
Canberra have 2 of the best of these type of players in Ethan Strange and Kaeo Weekes.. you'll hear a lot about these young fellas in the future as they have attracted the attention and come thru the other side with tickets on them.
They have another beauty in Chevy Stewart who is chewing on the bit as well.
I can see great qualities in Talagi too but unless it was due cap pressure and you get him cheap (doubt it) I wouldn't be replacing Sloane with him.
Sloane is a keeper now that he's slowly using his noggin more rather than his raw talent. He has had some real "Barry Crockers" last year and even some recently. BUT...
I said it early in the year that Sloane is raw and needs more time to develop. This is happening. If all the stars align then look out.
In 05, the Tigers were all over the shop and then a once in a lifetime kid started to play like a proper NRL player and practically, single handedly (spelling) got WT into the play-offs, all the way through to win the GF. ;)

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Why are some of you guys saying that your roster sucks....let's do a swaps with 8 of your best with 8 of my tigers best.
Talagi, along with a lot of other gun players who come thru the pathway system as standout players are often rushed into the NRL via development contracts.
Clubs are then pressured to extend their contracts on big dollars or they will walk before their nads even drop.
Basically it's up to the club to decide, do we sign this lad purely based on potential? (because 5 or so great performances in the NRL isn't exactly perfect criteria is it)
What these young fellas do lack is the ability to perform under intense scrutiny and defensive pressure from seasoned NRL professionals and coaches.
So after a few games their performances drop off unless they're top shelf players.
Canberra have 2 of the best of these type of players in Ethan Strange and Kaeo Weekes.. you'll hear a lot about these young fellas in the future as they have attracted the attention and come thru the other side with tickets on them.
I can see great qualities in Talagi too but unless it was due cap pressure and you get him cheap (doubt it) I wouldn't be replacing Sloane with him.
Sloane is a keeper now that he's slowly using his noggin more rather than his raw talent. He has had some real "Barry Crockers" last year and even some recently. BUT...
I said it early in the year that Sloane is raw and needs more time to develop. This is happening. If all the stars align then look out.
In 05, the Tigers were all over the shop and then a once in a lifetime kid started to play like a proper NRL player and practically single handedly (spelling) got then into the play-offs, finals and semis and they won the GF. ;)

Dragons do need some new players in their squad but this usually can't be done in a season. Priority should be:
1. 2 x top grade props
2. A new dynamic halves combo.
4. A new fullback

One of the above needs to be a good goal kicker.
The Couchman twins need to be in our 17.
De Belin should remain at 13.
Lose Hunt, Bird, Lawrie, and BMM.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
In 05, the Tigers were all over the shop and then a once in a lifetime kid started to play like a proper NRL player and practically single handedly (spelling) got then into the play-offs, finals and semis and they won the GF. ;)

A Hail Mary as some say…….that came off

TheRev

First Grade
In 05, the Tigers were all over the shop and then a once in a lifetime kid started to play like a proper NRL player and practically, single handedly (spelling) got WT into the play-offs, all the way through to win the GF. ;)
Stay strong Nutz, man your roster will/does sh*t on ours, you just dont have the coach to get them firing, lets see how that pans out over the next year or 2.. but with Richo pulling the strings and quality players that keep coming, you are laughing.. we couldnt sign any of the blokes you (and the dogs) have in the last few years.. and we have been trying... not to mention the ones coming in 2025 i.e. Luai and Turuva).

Your young blokes are future rep players, holy sh*t.. they will still be there in 5yrs time.. we have literally noone like that bar the Couchmans who play a few minutes off the bench currently, we are full of journeymen, we just have a good coach who is squeezing the lemon.

Dragon David

First Grade

You have a pretty good squad Nutz. It will get better with Luai and Turuva coming. Next year it will turn around I feel sure. Benji needs a much better assistant coach who has great defensive knowledge. Richo will sort out the roster even further and get rid of a few more and sign up better replacements. It will then be up to Benji to make sure everything falls into place in attack and defence.

Nutz

Bench
You have a pretty good squad Nutz. It will get better with Luai and Turuva coming. Next year it will turn around I feel sure. Benji needs a much better assistant coach who has great defensive knowledge. Richo will sort out the roster even further and get rid of a few more and sign up better replacements. It will then be up to Benji to make sure everything falls into place in attack and defence.
Yeh, I'm surprised Morris seemingly has had little impact at the club. I thought he'd be awesome working with the young fellas. Probably does. BUT something ain't working.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yeh, I'm surprised Morris seemingly has had little impact at the club. I thought he'd be awesome working with the young fellas. Probably does. BUT something ain't working.
Anyway, good luck Nutz. We know you have the Dragons high in your thoughts, so I hope that we can at least do some good for the joint venture clubs, which will need that extra something that will make our teams the ones to watch in future years.

since77

Juniors
Your club has just been run into the ground by over a decade of mismanagement and idiotic decisions. Much like ours except we're fortunately lucky to be taking our first steps out of the doldrums.
Appointing Benji as a coach was dumb too.
Man I feel for you - its been tough as a Dragons supporter for the last decade or so but I can't imagine how depressing it would have been for Tigers supporters.
At least Pascoe and the other clown are gone now and while it might take a bit more patience at you have Richo behind the scenes to help you back up out of the pits.
The only things that stands between us and mediocrity again is Flanno. Because our board will just screw things up again as soon as he leaves.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With Lomax coming on board I think Parra have positions covered in the backs (Penesini and Lomax will be centres). Gutho surely needs to be fullback. Parra would be crazy to throw more cap space money to talagi. Having Ryles there I think he should focus more on a hooker than an outside back. Being in the Melb system the hooker is their key position and I am sure Ryles won't be banking on Lussick and Hands to win a comp. He will need an established hooker hence I hope they sacrifice Talagi and throw money to lure a hooker. I am being really hopeful here.

Flanno just has to say to Talagi that he knows what it takes to win comps and make players into rep players. Ask Val Holmes, Barba, and any SHaks player that won the comp as a character witness. WHat has Ryles done? Been the Yes man to Bellamy? Wow impressive....

If Saints get the Talagai's & Saifiti's the list of brothers continue for the team. The team of Brothers...

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
With Lomax coming on board I think Parra have positions covered in the backs (Penesini and Lomax will be centres). Gutho surely needs to be fullback. Parra would be crazy to throw more cap space money to talagi. Having Ryles there I think he should focus more on a hooker than an outside back. Being in the Melb system the hooker is their key position and I am sure Ryles won't be banking on Lussick and Hands to win a comp. He will need an established hooker hence I hope they sacrifice Talagi and throw money to lure a hooker. I am being really hopeful here.

Flanno just has to say to Talagi that he knows what it takes to win comps and make players into rep players. Ask Val Holmes, Barba, and any SHaks player that won the comp as a character witness. WHat has Ryles done? Been the Yes man to Bellamy? Wow impressive....

If Saints get the Talagai's & Saifiti's the list of brothers continue for the team. The team of Brothers...
1985 was a good year Brother until the bloody Dragons lost 6-7 against this Doggies

Mark Knopfler saved 1985 :)