What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Kolum Kid

Juniors
I expect Flanno has had chat with him and he now knows he is not in future plans for 2025 and beyond. Lawrie will be next.
My hope of hopes is Hunt is the final domino, as his dollars are needed for the rebuild.
There would have been a fair amount of discussion about Hunts game yesterday amongst the old boys, hopefully enough to make an impact.
I hope you are right JJ. Hunts had his chance and it's not working. Time for change of 7 and also skipper.

TheRev

First Grade
I think Birds contract is 200k or something.. I think a few clubs would be willing to take him for depth for 200k.. we would too except we desperately need Top30 slots for key positions still.. and we have a few kids eating up spots next year who arent 1st grade ready.

But yes hopefully we can close a few deals like saifiti and val, get some more puzzle pieces locked in.. as I keep saying there are too many 2025 plates spinning in the air right now.. and it also makes recruitment more difficult when we cant be sure who our spine is.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I think Birds contract is 200k or something.. I think a few clubs would be willing to take him for depth for 200k.. we would too except we desperately need Top30 slots for key positions still.. and we have a few kids eating up spots next year who arent 1st grade ready.

But yes hopefully we can close a few deals like saifiti and val, get some more puzzle pieces locked in.. as I keep saying there are too many 2025 plates spinning in the air right now.. and it also makes recruitment more difficult when we cant be sure who our spine is.
I would be surprised if any clubs in the NRL took him on, he needs to head off to the UK and get a gig there and take Cake with him.

Dragon David

First Grade
I expect Flanno has had chat with him and he now knows he is not in future plans for 2025 and beyond. Lawrie will be next.
My hope of hopes is Hunt is the final domino, as his dollars are needed for the rebuild.
There would have been a fair amount of discussion about Hunts game yesterday amongst the old boys, hopefully enough to make an impact.
The cards are being dealt one by one JJ. I suspect that Lawrie might be the next one but we would need to either pay him out or pay some of his freight as he has a deal at the club til the end of 2026. Lawrie is a local junior and he loves the Dragons but that should not stop Flanno in having a chat with him about leaving now.

Ben Hunt has a deal with the Dragons to the end of 2025. Given how his form has dipped and the fact that for over the period he has been at the club he hasn't been able to help us win many games and that as you say JJ that the old boys who were at the 25 year celebration game would most probably discussed his shortcomings, there might have been a few give Flanno an ear full of why he didn't let him go when he asked to be released, Flanno won't extend his contract.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Kudos to Flanno for getting rid of the deadwood
Thought he had been terribly patient with some
This gives hope to our younger players biding their time in Cup n Flegg , as well as intending players , that this Coach means business and isnt afraid to make the tough decisions
Feel he still has one Major Call to make , and thats to move on the Skipper
Enoughs Enough ... Playing like an Under 8 in the NRL just doesnt cut it ...
Dont put the big broom away just yet Flanno

kit66

Bench
Did Sloan play in the halves at all in his younger days, 5/8 maybe. I think it's time to think outside the box. Kyle to 7, Sloan to 5/8 or leave Hunt in the 7, Sloan to 5/8. Failing that give Marschke a run when fit. Lomax to fullback for the rest of the year. Feagai isn't the answer - never was.
Edit - Sloan could defend easier head on at 5/8 - blokes running straight at him - rather than trying to get into position or running across field chasing the ball.

denis preston

First Grade
Did Sloan play in the halves at all in his younger days, 5/8 maybe. I think it's time to think outside the box. Kyle to 7, Sloan to 5/8 or leave Hunt in the 7, Sloan to 5/8. Failing that give Marschke a run when fit. Lomax to fullback for the rest of the year. Feagai isn't the answer - never was.
Edit - Sloan could defend easier head on at 5/8 - blokes running straight at him - rather than trying to get into position or running across field chasing the ball.
Worth a try Kit but surely in Reggies rather than the pressure of NRL.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Bird recently took up his 2025 option = No offers
Bird has asked for permission to speak to other clubs = Have a bite

Rava - contracted until 2026 = needs permission to negotiate = would need us to probably chip in $$

Lawrie - contracted until 2026 = needs permission to negotiate = would need us to chip in $$

Fafita - contracted until 2025 = other clubs can approach from Nov 1 = maybe need to chip in $$ for '25 if we want him gone earlier

Russell - has a mutual agreement for '25 - he can take this up if he doesn't get offers elsewhere

Unsigned for '25 -
Tuitavake
BMM
Marschke
Feagai Max
Eisenhuth
Brown (club option)

Lastly - BHunt - Again in the presser yesterday says his "kicking game wasn't good" - for the umpteenth time

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Bird, Rava, Russell and Lawrie should hit the uk circuit, as should all get picked up and likely go ok with the slightly slower game over there.
Don’t be surprised to see Lawrie at the Eels with his mate Zac, we would have to chip in some no doubt. Eels are likely to move on a lot of forwards, like RCG, Lane, Matterson, possibly even Paulo so it’s a definite chance. Ryles might like the idea to help settle Zac also..
For halves it Depends on Flanno’s opinion of Brodie Croft, Ilias or Lachie Lam. Unless he gets Talagi or Schuster for 6, Kyle for 7 and Hunt to Townsville to partner Deardon

BLM01

First Grade
Bird, Rava, Russell and Lawrie should hit the uk circuit, as should all get picked up and likely go ok with the slightly slower game over there.
Don’t be surprised to see Lawrie at the Eels with his mate Zac, we would have to chip in some no doubt. Eels are likely to move on a lot of forwards, like RCG, Lane, Matterson, possibly even Paulo so it’s a definite chance. Ryles might like the idea to help settle Zac also..
For halves it Depends on Flanno’s opinion of Brodie Croft, Ilias or Lachie Lam. Unless he gets Talagi or Schuster for 6, Kyle for 7 and Hunt to Townsville to partner Deardon
I reckon we have more chance signing Nathan Cleary than Parra signing Lawrie
Their props are better and we are not that lucky
Moses and Gutho will do find help Zac settle
If they did that would be similar to the Poore Ben Kusto, Cam King or Jai Field signings of yesteryear
Steve Edge was Parras last good poaching of ours
Zac untested yet

BLM01

First Grade
What about Pezet from Melb

TheRev

First Grade
First i've heard of Russell being here next year, mutual offer would mean both parties need to agree too it, which surely we wont be.. ive just assumed his slot is free'd up.

Someone will buy Fifita.. hes been much stronger these last few weeks.. id rather back Tonga, Couchies, Latu etc.. but he will def get picked up... so will Ravalawa..

Bird maybe we chip in.. but Lawrie is different. 2 big years left on his contract.. full freight prop.. its not just chipping in... we'd be paying for his entire contract.. or a lot of it.

First i've heard of Russell being here next year, mutual offer would mean both parties need to agree too it, which surely we wont be.. ive just assumed his slot is free'd up.

Someone will buy Fifita.. hes been much stronger these last few weeks.. id rather back Tonga, Couchies, Latu etc.. but he will def get picked up... so will Ravalawa..

Bird maybe we chip in.. but Lawrie is different. 2 big years left on his contract.. full freight prop.. its not just chipping in... we'd be paying for his entire contract.. or a lot of it.
Yes Rev,
Very surprised and disappointed about the mutual option for Russell.
Like Lawrie and a few others, just a waste of a roster space if he wants to take up the option, as there won't be any takers for him either.
As per an earlier poster, we really need to be working the phones to get as many of these unwanted players to the English Super League asap.

TheRev

First Grade
Yes Rev,
Very surprised and disappointed about the mutual option for Russell.
Like Lawrie and a few others, just a waste of a roster space if he wants to take up the option, as there won't be any takers for him either.
As per an earlier poster, we really need to be working the phones to get as many of these unwanted players to the English Super League asap.
Yah I think Flanno has been doing that.. maybe just starting with Ravalawa and Bird first..

But I just hope there are some 2025 contracts locked in that are maybe in cooling off.. I feel a bit like we are brides at the altar at the moment.. we could end up with some rly good players to boost our 2025 chances.. but right now still feeling a little naked (apart from our man cookie).

Latest posts