What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
I reckon we have more chance signing Nathan Cleary than Parra signing Lawrie
Their props are better and we are not that lucky
Moses and Gutho will do find help Zac settle
If they did that would be similar to the Poore Ben Kusto, Cam King or Jai Field signings of yesteryear
Steve Edge was Parras last good poaching of ours
Zac untested yet
Maybe I am being overly optimistic..

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm not really 100% sure tbh what soft of Mutual Option (MO) it is.. the official definition says both partys need to agree too it... but maybe its not as straight forward as that... there are all sorts of weird clauses in contracts these days... but even if we do need to pay him out or move him on though.. it would be one of the easier ones.. he couldnt be on more than like 120k youd think..

Key: Player options (PO), club options (CO) and mutual options (MO).
PO - The player can decide to exercise additional years in the contract.
CO - The club has the option to extend a player's contract for the additional year/s.
MO - The player and club must come to an agreement to activate extra year/s.

I must say I keep thinking we will just ship xyz player to the UK.. but there must be a limit to who they are willing to take..
"I must say I keep thinking we will just ship xyz player to the UK.. but there must be a limit to who they are willing to take.."

Didn't Shane Richardson recently go over to the UK, more particularly the north western section of England and he met up with the likes of Sam Burgess who is the Head Coach of the Warrington Wolves and possibly several other Super League clubs to see who would take some of the Wests Tigers guys? Maybe also to see who might be available to join the Tigers from other clubs in the Super League? I think he has managed to get John Batemen to play the rest of the year with Warrington with the hope that he does well and Burgess takes him on full-time.

Do we have anyone at the club who could be pro-active and do the same thing? I think our guys are sedentary lazy bastards with no personality and ability to do much with recruitment. I know I'm being facetious when I say that but that is the impression I get when nothing seems to happen. We hear rumours from media sources or somebody on the Forum if they are privy to getting some info from club officials and so on, but ....just be patient. Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

The UK clubs can't keep taking rejects from Australia willy nilly. There have to be trade offs or something like that to make things more appealing. And not all end up doing much anyway and want to go home to mumsy.

TheRev

First Grade
"I must say I keep thinking we will just ship xyz player to the UK.. but there must be a limit to who they are willing to take.."

Didn't Shane Richardson recently go over to the UK, more particularly the north western section of England and he met up with the likes of Sam Burgess who is the Head Coach of the Warrington Wolves and possibly several other Super League clubs to see who would take some of the Wests Tigers guys? Maybe also to see who might be available to join the Tigers from other clubs in the Super League? I think he has managed to get John Batemen to play the rest of the year with Warrington with the hope that he does well and Burgess takes him on full-time.

Do we have anyone at the club who could be pro-active and do the same thing? I think our guys are sedentary lazy bastards with no personality and ability to do much with recruitment. I know I'm being facetious when I say that but that is the impression I get when nothing seems to happen. We hear rumours from media sources or somebody on the Forum if they are privy to getting some info from club officials and so on, but ....just be patient. Be patient. Good things come to those that wait.

The UK clubs can't keep taking rejects from Australia willy nilly. There have to be trade offs or something like that to make things more appealing. And not all end up doing much anyway and want to go home to mumsy.
I think like Bateman and Sullivan.. Ravalawa.. Fifita.. all these guys I could see being a really good addition to a club, if not NRL.. definitely a UK side.. like the young ones might end up guns.. the older ones should really dominate..

Lawrie and Bird though are tricky.. Lawrie in particular.. what are you selling.. he used to be passionate and whole-hearted.. I think he still can be.. but maybe 1st grade is just a grade too hard? Rly want to see him play a cup game.

Dragon David

First Grade
I think like Bateman and Sullivan.. Ravalawa.. Fifita.. all these guys I could see being a really good addition to a club, if not NRL.. definitely a UK side.. like the young ones might end up guns.. the older ones should really dominate..

Lawrie and Bird though are tricky.. Lawrie in particular.. what are you selling.. he used to be passionate and whole-hearted.. I think he still can be.. but maybe 1st grade is just a grade too hard? Rly want to see him play a cup game.
Yes, you are right about the guys you mentioned being good additions to UK clubs.

Weird that Bird has played KOE Cup this year and not Lawrie. The last time Lawrie played in "reserves" was on 16 September 2018 by my reckoning (well the reckoning on the internet anyway). It would be very interesting to see how he plays in the KOE Cup. If he doesn't get another run in the NRL side, then by getting him to play in the Cup comp, other clubs will be able to see more of him to check his worthiness or otherwise to sign him. I think he is injured though but I might be wrong??

denis preston

First Grade
Bird, Rava, Russell and Lawrie should hit the uk circuit, as should all get picked up and likely go ok with the slightly slower game over there.
Don’t be surprised to see Lawrie at the Eels with his mate Zac, we would have to chip in some no doubt. Eels are likely to move on a lot of forwards, like RCG, Lane, Matterson, possibly even Paulo so it’s a definite chance. Ryles might like the idea to help settle Zac also..
For halves it Depends on Flanno’s opinion of Brodie Croft, Ilias or Lachie Lam. Unless he gets Talagi or Schuster for 6, Kyle for 7 and Hunt to Townsville to partner Deardon
It’s gone from must keep to must go in the space of three months regarding Hunt.His performance against the top sides have put massive question marks on his kicking & general game management, and all for a million dollars. Surely Lam & Croft can do better?

sammymills

Juniors
Yes Rev,
Very surprised and disappointed about the mutual option for Russell.
Like Lawrie and a few others, just a waste of a roster space if he wants to take up the option, as there won't be any takers for him either.
As per an earlier poster, we really need to be working the phones to get as many of these unwanted players to the English Super League asap.
dont we have billionaire backers. Heres where they need to step in and go just pay Lawrie out. 2 years at 500k or so id say? 1 million for the betterment of our team.

offiah

Juniors
It would have to come out of our cap anyway? You can’t get someone else to pay out a player unless maybe we say he’s retiring and it’s on the dodge.

It would have to come out of our cap anyway? You can’t get someone else to pay out a player unless maybe we say he’s retiring and it’s on the dodge.
I know - How about a debilitating psychological retirement?

"I’ve always wanted to come second but can't”: Dragon star confesses to ED issue affecting his ability to play confidently.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
My understanding is that a Mutual Option (MO) doesn’t mean both parties leading into 2025 have to agree on anything

A Mutual option is agreed to at the time of the contract first signed ……with a very clear option for both parties re the last year of the contract where the MO is applied.

ie birdy

He may have an option he can take up for 2025 that is $200k pa if he wanted to and had no other offer in 2025 by any other club.

Equally the dragons may have an option they can take up at say $400k pa if they think Birdy is killing it and the Dragons want him to stay on for 2025.

So a MO is better than nothing for Birdy and also gave him some salary if he busted his ACL for the 3rd and final time ie rehab as well all paid in 2025

It appears birdy took up the $200k pa baseline option for 2025…….which means he stays with the Dragon’s for now but may ask for a release as not wanting to play for $200k pa……..but atleast it is something for now

the $200k pa salary is my guesstimate only

ie not reported and the actual baseline salary for a top30 in 2025 is $135k pa

I just thought to get the deal done on his last contract they have needed to hit $200k pa to sweeten the MO for 2025

Latest posts