What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I thought Ron was the biggest stirrer of the trio but entertaining; Mossop was bloody good imo and personally miles ahead of anyone calling over the past 25 years. You knew he’d barrack for Many sure, but he gave it to them and could be critical often when warranted; also, preferred the minimal sideline support not like the army of people on the sideline today. Frank had a bit of class about him. Despite their great playing careers they were good broadcasters in their own right imo.

Hyde and Mossop both respected and knew the game and actually called the bloody game and each play, not this conversational style crap we have today. The main thing was they critiqued the game and players, didn’t gossip or over eulogise standard plays, or current and ex players and share ‘in jokes’ ad nauseam. I personally miss their presentation style of Rugby League a lot.

gregstar

Referee
I found the three of them absolutely appalling.
Rex was an absolute bumbler.
Casey's head was so far up his arse, his Adam's apple was a pile.
And Frank Hyde was from the 18th century.

I thought the ABC commentators for the most part were better than them all by a f**cking mile.
And I agree with Toga here - the current mob are shite.

Phantom V

Juniors
Oh for the days of Ron Casey , Rex ‘ absolutely flabbergasted ‘ Mossop and Frank ‘ it’s long , it’s high and it’s straight between the posts ! ‘ Hyde .

Those 3 gentlemen always called a spade a spade , not fearful of their respective T.V. stations as are the balless cretins who pass for announcers today .
A bit before my time Gareth but I’ve heard some of Hyde’s calling and he was one of a kind that’s for sure. I grew up on the Decibel Duo, Hartley and Peters and loved their banter and I always thought Hartley was a good caller of the game.

jak

Bench
Oh for the days of Ron Casey , Rex ‘ absolutely flabbergasted ‘ Mossop and Frank ‘ it’s long , it’s high and it’s straight between the posts ! ‘ Hyde .

Those 3 gentlemen always called a spade a spade , not fearful of their respective T.V. stations as are the balless cretins who pass for announcers today .
gee your old

Draginzaaar

Bench
As you and @blacksafake have articulated, the 6 again is a stain on the game.

It has changed the very fabric of Rugby League. Our game was never meant to have arbitrary calls resetting the tackle count at will. There's a reason we have penalties and sin bins. They are also subjective but subject to scrutiny. The ref ( rightly or wrongly ) calls off side, ruck infringement, high tackle etc.

The 6 again has zero accountability as the game still flows. The callers just mention it, and the fans sit there thinking " what was that for ".

The game was fine before it. Too many rule changes and bear in mind, now its ONE ref making all the calls. I fricken hate it.
The game has never had so much support. Ratings and crowds are up. Just saying.

BLM01

First Grade
Boland and Spillaine on the ABC Saturday games were my favourites
Debbie ahead of her time commenting and commentating on rugby league. Least she did not make it about herself and did not ask the today''s stereotyped feel good questions and discuss the fluff. I dont know if she ever played any sort of contact sport but she seemed to have a good knowledge. She took what was said in interviews good or bad and like water off a ducks back.

Dragon David

First Grade

This is for you Gareth -